Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying alone to Israel with 2 yr old. Car seat? Tips?

Busymom104

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 10:06 am
Im flying alone to Israel with my 2 year old in a few weeks. Its a 1 pm flight out of NY so it will be mainly by day. Is it worth it to bring a car seat on the plane? I'm worried about having to shlep it through the airport and then get it through the aisle on the plane. The major advantage of it is that she will probably sleep better in a car seat. Suggestions?
Also any other advice/tips for flying alone with a toddler?
TIA!!

kb

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 11:45 am
Perhaps use something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Britax-S.....NEQK0

I'd do the car seat. 2 year olds don't stay put in airplane straps. They open too easily.

SacN

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 12:15 pm
I live in Israel, and have flown with my kids a lot.

2 year olds are much easier than 12-18 month olds. Count your blessings. If you have an overnight flight, also, count your blessings.

I never bring car seats on the flight and I have no way to carry them through the airport. It's much more comfortable to sleep laying down, either on the floor spread over their seat's legroom + mine, or on my lap/their seat. I give my kids melatonin a bit into the flight, and make sure to have easy bathroom/diaperable clothing for them. Bring easy on/off shoes too.
Bring books, a slinky, magnadoodle and snacks (!). Don't expect any one activity to take up a lot of time. Except snacks. Smile Don't bring toys or games with pieces that might roll away/need to be kept track of.

Tips for you--you can ask a flight attendant to watch a sleeping child so you can use the restroom. You can ask help from the people around to to access your stuff, open your food, etc. Don't drink too much before. Remember, it will be over, and you will be somewhere very special. Any dirty looks = idiots who never had kids, or people who forgot what it's like. Most people understand if your kid cries, is messy, is loud, etc.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 12:50 pm
I've done it without a car seat with a kid a drop younger then yours. Mine just slept across the seat and my lap, I can't tell you if it would be easier with a car seat since I haven't done it both ways but if you're flying mainly by day, then how much is she going to sleep anyways? although it may help to have it just to keep her in her seat.

I went to a store that has little toys like from 99 cents to $2. and bought some things. So whenever I was desperate for a 5 minute break or it was takeover and dc didn't want to sit, I would pull something out. I didn't end up spending a lot and it didn't bother me if anything got lost since it wasn't to expensive, plus dc was excited because the stuff was new.

I also let ds walk around the airplane a lot. I let him bring a few cars and drive them around also. Its hard to expect kids to sit for so long. People were very friendly and played around with him as well so that helped. Plus there were one or two other kids his age so he spent some time playing with them.

If your daughter likes books or coloring that a very good activity to bring along. It can be done quietly and sitting when others want to rest. If you can download some videos she can watch with headphones, that's really good.

Also try to bring along the type of snacks that take time to eat : )

I packed all my toddlers stuff in a briefcase very organized that I wore so his stuff was always on hand and I had a free hand when in the airport.

Bring extra pacifiers and ect if she uses them, and loads of wipes - I ran out since I didn't realize that I'd be using them also to wipe his hands and ect... after he ran around or if he ate and there was a huge line by the bathroom....

Good Luck! & enjoy!

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 1:56 pm
No carseat; the "wings" (armrests?) interfere with lowering the tray...makes eating, colouring, and pretty much any other activity more complicated. BTDT...we checked the carseat on the way back.

smile4

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 7:34 pm
I would recommend reading this article: http://csftl.org/leaving-on-a-.....dren/
It explains why using a car seat on the plane is really critical for safety, and provides tips for transporting it through the airport.

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 7:41 pm
Another strong recommendation for the car seat. It was a hassle at times to schlep in the airport. But worth it. Flew to Israel twice in 2015 with my 2 year old. There are car seat trolleys/holders on Amazon.
He would only sleep in car seat. We tried him in an empty seat too and he kept unfastening it. Was amazing for turbulence. Cut down the fear a lot.

N'sMom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 8:10 pm
My children are older now but I did this quite a lot not that long ago. I second the idea about getting lots of new little toys, but with an addition. I used to giftwrap them. Opening them is part of the fun and takes some time too. Don't get anything messy (paints) and avoid things with small parts that are easy to lose -- a piece of something is pretty much guaranteed to slip under your seat and roll away. Also, you want to bring an insane amount of unmessy snacks -- pretzels, raisins, bagels, baby carrots, whatever your dd likes, but be sure that most of them are not too sugary, as a toddler in an enclosed space on sugar high is not a pretty sight. And be sure that your daughter is eating or, drinking somehting during take-off and especially during landing, so her ears don't hurt. I have traveled both with and without a car seat and the pluses and minuses are exactly what you say. The baby will sleep better in a car seat and you will get more rest and arrive in better shape too, but it is cumbersome to carry. In balance I vote no, but that may be just me.

Miri7

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 11:44 pm
I would also call the airline a day or so before the flight and see if you can get seated next to an empty seat. Extra room is so nice....

Otherwise those are all good suggestions. I've done the "pull a new toy our of the bag every once in a while" and it really works. My kids liked wiki stix- non messy and fun. Also stickers. Lots of stickers. I also brought a color wonder pad that has the markers that are clear except when used on the special paper.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 11:54 pm
dvd player with lots of dvds and comfortable headphones

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 11:14 am
I didn't read the other comments but car seat 10000%
It makes such a huge difference on the plane ride. You can tie it to a wheely hand luggage bag or buy a set of wheels especially for this. Definitely the way to go.

Other ideas : stickers, coloring books, kids headphones (dont rely on the plane ones), matchbox cars, pop up books and regular books, crayons, any cheap small toy you don't mind getting lost.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics