Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Hatorah? lakewood

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 4:55 pm
So, we didn't get into Orchos chaim, Shagas Aryeh or ohr Yehuda (R' Benders school) even with all our pull. so, R' Censor's new school is full already. So, we are looking into Bais Hatorah. It used to be different (they always had school (chol hamoed etc) and only lained. now I hear they teitch and lein and they have normal off days. anyone have kids in Bais Hatorah or know anything about it? what's the crowd like? is it still so different? I heard it's better since r' Kanarek took it over????

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 5:05 pm
U should pick one school u didnt get into and use your pull to try to still get in. Dont just give up. I know nothing about bais hatorah. Its too late now, but from your choices I see what your looking for...why didnt u apply to tashbar.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 6:40 pm
I have two boys there and they love it! Me and dh very happy with the school and rebbeim. They still teach leining and learn a LOT but it's amazing for the boys. Not pressured at all just lots of review. They also do regular teitch just not any Yiddish; only English.

Schedule is identical to every Lkwd boys school

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 7:47 pm
I second the opinion above- its much too early to throw in the towel- the schools hold slots open. Ignore pride and push a bit, use pull, have phone calls made on your behalf. Focus your campaign on one school. Hatzlacha!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:05 pm
Speaking from experience I have to disagree. It's very likely that any amount of protekzia you use will not help and you will be stuck with wherever the vaad places you.
If you have an option to get into a school of your choice-even if it's not your first choice- take it and run!

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:21 pm
Bumping up this thread.
Bais HaTorah was recommended for my son who spent the past year in Yesodos, the school that closed down.
He's a hyperactive boy but extremely smart and academically strong. With support and possibly medication, do you think Bais HaTorah is a place he could thrive?
And what's the likelihood we can push him in there so close to the start of the school year?

imalady

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 7:29 pm
who recommended it? I hope someone who can get you in!

I don't know how old your son is, or what his particular strengths are, but if you can get R' Kanarek to take you, why don't you prefer TA or SA although they are harder to get into. With the right support those are also really good schools

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:10 pm
imalady wrote:
who recommended it? I hope someone who can get you in!

I don't know how old your son is, or what his particular strengths are, but if you can get R' Kanarek to take you, why don't you prefer TA or SA although they are harder to get into. With the right support those are also really good schools

Because we were told that Bais HaTorah is a smaller school and the principal is a more laid-back personality.
Also, if it's true that Bais HaTorah doesn't do much teitching in Yiddish, that's a big selling point for us. My son is going into second grade and knows almost no Yiddish.
Regarding if the person recommending the school can get us in, it's irrelevant. There isn't a single school in Lakewood that would take us at this point without ALOT of syatta dishmaya 😀☺

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 10:38 pm
My son is going into second grade bais Hatorah. He loves school and is also very academically strong. They can totally hook up!

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:
My son is going into second grade bais Hatorah. He loves school and is also very academically strong. They can totally hook up!

If my son gets in, IYH I'll type under my screen name so you can pm me.
How many boys are in the class?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 4:25 am
Bump,
What age does Bais hatorah start? 4 or 5?
I'm looking for a warm, loving place where middos are emphasized. I also want a place that isn't super duper strict about clothing (for kids or mother). I have pull with this school and can probably get in. Is it worth trying or would I be ostracizing my son? My husband works (never officially learned in yeshiva), I wear bright nail polish and crazy sneakers, I don't plan on dressing my son in all white and black (unless he really wants to) until earliest age 13, I don't like rules about black sneakers for the boys etc...[quote]

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 8:49 am
It is now a Kanarek school (think Toras Aharon and Shaagas Aryeh). I don't send there-but I am assuming that Rabbi Kanarek is trying to move it in the direction of his other schools. Like it or lump it, if you want to get into Lakewood schools, you need to conform to the rest of the parent body. It seems that even the open minded boys schools are leaning towards the right, and they have become more selective. I hope you get into a school that works for you!

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 9:00 am
[quote="amother"]Bump,
What age does Bais hatorah start? 4 or 5?
I'm looking for a warm, loving place where middos are emphasized. I also want a place that isn't super duper strict about clothing (for kids or mother). I have pull with this school and can probably get in. Is it worth trying or would I be ostracizing my son? My husband works (never officially learned in yeshiva), I wear bright nail polish and crazy sneakers, I don't plan on dressing my son in all white and black (unless he really wants to) until earliest age 13, I don't like rules about black sneakers for the boys etc...
Quote:

Bais HaTorah does not sound like your type. You need a free-for-all school like YTT.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 10:27 am
my son is in Bais Hatorah and I just went to the melavah malka this past motzei shabbos. I didn't see any mothers in bright nail polish or crazy sneakers. not sure if it's your type. maybe YTT, Tashbar, or Kol Torah. Bais Hatorah starts at 5 yrs.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 12:21 pm
Jftr, no one dresses in black and white in Lkwd until age 13.

And ur right, bht does not teitch in Yiddish at all. But they learn a ton!

The parent body is tremendously mixed.
You can get away with crazy sneakers but no, bright nail polish is not going to fly.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 12:53 pm
Ytt has been more careful in who they take in the past few years. Alot of older parents have complained about who they take in. They really want their alumni to send to the school and alot arent. They were trying to change that.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 12:57 pm
Also ytt is not a free for all. If they find out things they dont like they 2are on top of it.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
my son is in Bais Hatorah and I just went to the melavah malka this past motzei shabbos. I didn't see any mothers in bright nail polish or crazy sneakers. not sure if it's your type. maybe YTT, Tashbar, or Kol Torah. Bais Hatorah starts at 5 yrs.

Well I wouldn't wear that to a school function...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics