Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Roasted potatoes for Fri night?

smss

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 10:38 am
Anyone have a successful way to make/reheat roasted potatoes for Fri night? Whenever I try, they end up both soggy and dried out at the same time.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 10:42 am
Put them in the oven to reheat covered as late as possible (after kiddish even) then uncover to crisp up (if so desired) even later, like after fish

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:23 am
I make fresh on Friday

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:36 am
The best ones are boiled first al dente and then tossed with oil and roasted to crisp up. You can boil first and then roast if it helps.

This two part method enables one t have the ideal fluffy interior and crispy exterior.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jan 08 2016, 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

studying_torah

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:39 am
Recipe please, amarente! And how are those reheated? Can they go on the plata? Covered or Uncovered?

spring13

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:46 am
Use small whole potatoes. The skin keeps them soft on the inside.

smss

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:53 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I make fresh on Friday

Me too! But they still dry out Sad

Amarante I would also love specific instructions!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:58 am
I make them to be ready right before licht bentching, and then turn off the oven. I loosely cover with foil, but not enough that they'd sog up.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 12:00 pm
Here's the technique with the author's notes and explanation as to why the technique works. I also toss with garlic and use olive oil. I prefer rosemary to thyme. I would love to try with duck fat or schmaltz but not sure I want to risk the arteries of my guests. Lol

Like any food, reheating isn't ideal but you could steam and toss with oil and then put in the oven when you are ready to eat.

Ultra Crisp Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients

4 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (see note), rinsed, peeled if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Kosher salt
1/4 cup duck fat (see note)
Freshly ground black pepper
12 sprigs thyme or rosemary

DIRECTIONS
1. Adjust oven racks to lower and upper position and preheat oven to 500°F. Place potatoes in a large saucepot and cover with cold water by 1-inch. Add 2 tablespoons salt and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until exteriors are tender, about 5 minutes. Potatoes should show a slight resistance when poked with a paring knife or a cake tester. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.

2. Add fat to bowl with potatoes. Season with pepper and more salt to taste then toss with a large metal spoon until exteriors are slightly bashed up and coated in a thin layer of potato/fat paste. Divide potatoes evenly between two heavy rimmed baking sheets. Spread thyme sprigs over potatoes.

3. Transfer baking sheets to the oven and roast until the bottoms of the potatoes are crisp and golden brown, about 20 minutes total, swapping top the trays top for bottom and rotating them once half way through roasting. Using a thin metal spatula, flip the potatoes and roast until the second side is golden brown, another 15 to 20 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs, and serve.

NOTES

These potatoes are parboiled then tossed roughly in a bowl with a metal spoon until their surfaces have been roughed and scratched up. All those microscopic nooks and crannies will make for an extra crunchy exterior.

It is a dehydrated layer of gelatinized starch that does it. The thicker the layer of gelatinized starch you can build up, the crisper the potato. You accomplish this by parboiling the cubed potatoes, and just as with making french fries, adding a touch of acid to the boiling water acts as insurance against accidentally overboiling them—the pectin that holds potato cells together is strong in slightly acidic environments.

Note: For creamier potatoes with a slightly less crisp crust, substitute Yukon Gold potatoes. Duck fat, turkey fat, or chicken fat will give the best results, but olive oil will work well

Once your potatoes are tossed in fat and seasoned well, all you've got to do is roast them in an extremely hot oven until they crisp up.

I roast mine directly on a heavy rimmed baking sheet (they have a tendency to stick to foil). The key is to make sure you let the underside crisp up completely before you even attempt to lift or flip them. If the potatoes don't come off relatively easily, you run the risk of breaking off the tops, leaving the crisp bottom cemented to the bottom of the pan. This is not an ideal situation.

Moral: your potatoes will release themselves from the pan when they're good and ready. Don't force them.

Want to know the secret to even crisper roast potatoes?Increase surface area. The more surface area a potato has for a given volume, the more bits there are to crisp up, and the crunchier it'll become. The potatoes above have been parbolied then tossed roughly in a bowl with a metal spoon until their surfaces have been roughed and scratched up. All those microscopic nooks and crannies will make for an extra crunchy surface.

You can use any type of potatoes you like for this, but there's a tradeoff:

Starchy russet potatoes will produce the crispest crust because of their high starch content with fluffy, powdery interiors.

Yukon Gold potatoes (what I've used here) will produce crusts that are still very crisp, but not quite as crisp as a russet. They'll also have interiors that are more creamy than fluffy. Some people like this contrast of textures. I'm on the fence, so usually alternate between the two varieties.

Red waxy potatoes will have the creamiest texture of all, but will lack a very strong crisp crust. I don't recommend them for his purpose

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jan 08 2016, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 12:23 pm
The only roasted potatoes I really enjoy Friday night are whole baby potatoes or fingerling.
Hash browns and other stove top potatoes work better for Friday night.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 1:24 pm
Here's the same technique used for great oven baked fries.

Fake Frites

Author Notes: A trick for the best french fries you can make at home -- in the oven, using less oil than you'd put on a salad.
Serves 4 to 6

2 pounds baking potatoes, such as Idaho russets or Bintje, peeled and cut into thick fries, 3/4 inch by 3 inches
2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 500° F. Bring 1 quart of water to a simmer in the bottom of a steamer. Place the potatoes on the steaming rack, place the rack in the steamer, cover, and steam just until a knife inserted in a potato comes away clean, 10 to 12 minutes. (The potatoes should not be cooked through, or they will tend to fall apart.)Transfer the steamed potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with oil. Carefully toss to coat evenly with oil. (The potatoes can be prepared to this point several hours in advance. Set aside at room temperature.)With a large slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes in a single layer to a nonstick baking sheet. Discard any excess oil or liquid. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake, turning so they brown evenly, until the potatoes are crisp and deep golden brown, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, season generously with salt, and serve immediately.

egam

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 1:24 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Put them in the oven to reheat covered as late as possible (after kiddish even) then uncover to crisp up (if so desired) even later, like after fish

I highly doubt you can do all of this with the oven on Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes