Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Knaidlach for dummies
Previous  1  2

Liba

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 6:21 am
Grace I use whole wheat matzah meal on occasion, same recipe (per 1 egg, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp cold water, 1/4tsp salt, pinch of baking powder, bit of pepper, mixed plus 1/4 cup matzah meal) though I do add a bit more salt since they tend be be a bit bland.

They come out fine, just a darker color.

FWIW I keep my matzah meal in the freezer so I don't find I have to refrigerate them after mixing them up. I just wait a minute and they are the right texture and all set to drop into the pot.

cm

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 7:23 am
My mother's matzah balls are the fluffiest - like clouds! She says when you are shaping them, just barely nudge the mixture into position - any squeezing, rolling or packing and they will be too hard. Also, maybe make them smaller so they cook more evenly? Hope this helps!

sa613

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 8:56 am
These always come out fluffy, maybe due to the addition of baking powder. I also like them because they have only 1/3 cup of oil.

4 eggs
1/3 cup oil
ΒΌ t pepper
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
1 1/3 cups matzo meal

Beat everything but the matzo meal together very well (til frothy). Slowly stir in the matzo meal. With wet hands for into little balls (scoop out a big teaspoon's worth- they really fluff up big). Cook in boiling water or soup. Makes a lot.

grace413

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 9:03 am
Liba, thank you

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:51 pm
est wrote:
shanie5 - I made your recipe and it was AMAZING! had just the right texture and taste - thanks so much!!!

wanna make it again now and am not sure how much baking powder to use since I saw you posted this recipe twice, once with 1/2 tsp and once with 1/4, and I really can't remember which one I followed last time. please can you clarify which amount you find to be best? thank you.

I dont measure it-it's approximate-sorry. Its probably closer to 1/2 though.

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:53 pm
cm wrote:
My mother's matzah balls are the fluffiest - like clouds! She says when you are shaping them, just barely nudge the mixture into position - any squeezing, rolling or packing and they will be too hard. Also, maybe make them smaller so they cook more evenly? Hope this helps!

Its the opposite for me. If I dont shape them, roll them, compress them, then they fall apart. I used to use a scoop and just dump them in. Then I watched my then 8 yr old dd roll them and found they were better that way. Probably has to do with the texture of the mixture used.

bubble gum

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:25 am
Just wanted to add one point that may seem obvious to everyone....warming them up in the soup makes a huge difference. I use my mothers recipe- her kneidlach are fluffy and light. I made them a bunch of times and couldnt figure out why mine were so firm and not fluffy. Till one week I dumped them in the soup pot to heat up and tada! They were soft and fluffy.

penguin

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 1:44 pm
I was just searching for a recipe (can't the one I used to use) and came across this old thread. Anyhow does anyone happen to have a recipe that includes ginger and parsley in the knaidlach? I think the recipe was called No-Fail or Never-Fail Knaidlach.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics