Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
SAHM Vs. Working Mom

MMEC123

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:41 pm
Which are you? Do you like it? Dislike it? What are the benefits of what you do? Challenges?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:16 pm
Right now, SAHM. Like it, but not lacking basic things like parnossah.

IYH Soon will be working mom, and while I have to do it for basic parnossah, it will have to be full time for the next year or so and I feel very overwhelmed and dreadful. Like, how I am supposed to be akeres habayis if I'm not in the bayis? I hope Hashem will make it as enjoyable and stress free as possible, bc if it were possible to do things differently I would...

mimivan

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:21 pm
NJ Mommy:Sorry to hear you feel sad about going to work. But, in reality, there is such a thing as "quality time."

For instance, I'm a WAHM (work at home mother) and I felt working at home would be best for my kids, but I was not really there for them when I was working. They are both in childcare, which they like a WHOLE lot more than I thought they would. (my son loves gan, and my baby likes his sitter). I find that, when they come home, I am much more focused on them when I was trying to work and do everything with them around. Yes, I have fewer hours with them, but we make the most of the time. I really feel at peace with my decision, after having tried being a SAHM without a job and an overhwhelmed WAHM without childcare (haven't worked outside the home with kids).

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:29 pm
Sahm, up to now I like everything. Could become a Wahm if I find something I like more than not working.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:29 pm
mimi, you're right. I just think though that I'll be working 40 hrs a week with a 45 commute each way...ahhhhh!!!!!

IYH dh will eventually finish school and get a job...then maybe I can go part time in a few years...

mimivan

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:48 pm
Well at least there is an end in sight! My husband is also finishing school in a year. Then I'm hoping I will only need part-time child care! iy'h

SouthernShalom

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 7:05 pm
I am a stay at home mom. When they(3 kids) were small I figured out that I wasn't really making any money by the time I paid for childcare and the gas to and from work. Now my children are 9,7,& 5 and I homeschool them.I love getting to learn along with them. You don't realize how much you missed until you start going back over it. It is a lot of fun! I do feel overwhelmed sometimes. We have started having a "date night" every two weeks so that me and DH can spend quality time,just the 2 of us. Somedays I get so sik of this house I could just scream. That is when we take a field trip. Very Happy

mimivan

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 7:14 pm
Homeschooling! I really admire you! I feel a bit like I'm homeschooling one of mine, because he goes to a school that specializes in speech, and needs to learn to read at home to keep up with mainstream kids when iyh he makes the transition to regular school. I find kids can cover alot more ground at home than in school or gan, don't you? But then you must have to come up with a lot of songs, games, pictures, examples to consolidate that learning, the kind of things ganim are great at but I'm not.
Anyway, kol ha kavod! It must be trying, but rewarding too!

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 7:15 pm
SouthernShalom, how do you make class for 3 children on different levels? you're great!!!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 7:49 pm
I'm a SAHM and love it. I worked for years before I had my son and hated working! I do work about an hour or two a day on ebay, but it's a totally optional thing, I can pass a coupl e of days without working if my personal life is really busy.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:34 pm
how about half and half?

I work in the afternoon while my friend watches ds; and I have the mornings to do errands, play with baby or just sleep late!

although I would love to be a SAHM FULL TIME, if I have to be working, I think this setup is the best of both worlds.

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:45 pm
I work part time. I used to work full time with two kids and that was hard, we would get home from work/daycare, eat and straight to bedtime. I think that working part time gives me the intellectual and social outlet I need. Some of my children are in school or preschool part of the time anyway so I may as well earn some money during that time. Very Happy

I do have to work a few hours for basic parnassa and I feel so fortunate I am able to do so in my chosen profession.

dr pepper

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 9:58 pm
I've been a wohm, and was a sahm until recently. now I'm a wahm. this is incredibly hard for me. I like it because I can bring in much needed income without losing it to childcare, but juggling the kids and work without a babysitter/daycare is hard. I end up staying up late to finish or working really early in the morning, which means I hardly sleep and my house gets neglected.

but, I'm very fortunate to have this opportunity when we need the $$$. I do know many women would love to be in this position.

mimivan

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 10:35 pm
Dr Pepper:
That reminds me of the way I was working for about 2 years. I sound like a broken record, maybe, but I suggest getting some kind of inexpensive help at least a few hours a week for your sanity (know from personal experience) It's worth taking that extra project to have more uninterrupted time or cleaning help!

b'hatzlacha!

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 12:05 am
I work a couple of hours a day, and I must give credit to those moms who work full time. I do not know how you do it. I would give anything to be a WAHM, but I cant find anything to do at home

mimivan

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 12:20 am
amother:
Try this site...there are some great WAHM opportunities and ideas.
http://www.wahm.com/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics