Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What do you do for the child your kid bullied?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:22 pm
I am horrified!!! I just recieved a call from a mother to tell me my kid bullied him and he is in tears. What can or should my child do to make him feel better?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:26 pm
How old is the child? What did you son do and why did he do it? He should call and apologize to start with. Find out what happened exactly. You can also arrange a play date if you think that would help. Make it a fun date.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:32 pm
First, ask your child what happened, without making any accusations.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:35 pm
I know what he did. It wasnt intentional but it was hurtful. And he did apologize. But I know the other child is still hurting so what can I do?

1ofbillions

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:14 pm
If it wasn't intentional then it wasn't bullying, in my opinion.

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:20 pm
Maybe you can take both kids out to somewhere special (depending on age) but like a kids n action or chuckee cheese kind of place or even ice cream (assuming u live somewhere with access to a fun or kosher place.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:22 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
If it wasn't intentional then it wasn't bullying, in my opinion.

I agree with this.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:55 pm
If it wasn't intentional then it wasn't bullying. Just to clear the record. Say your child HURT another child without meaning to. Definitely he should think on his own of something sweet he can do to help the child feel better. But this does not sound like bullying which requires a differently targeted approach.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 12:03 am
ok got it! that makes me feel better. Rolling Eyes but it was not nice.

Bruria

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 8:23 am
Apologizing and also making SURE your child does not bully the other child again. For a mother to call you, it might have been going on for longer. Maybe you should talk to your son about bullying and reinforce how he can be nice to his friends.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 8:31 am
I don't know what type of thing he did but if it was an insult may be sit with your child and help him think of a genuine compliment. If he publicly embarrassed the kid then it should be done in public... if its not genuine then don't bother, the other kid will see through it. You kid also needs to make sure not to do it again. That is really the main piece.

I agree that it's not bullying. I'm currently on the other side and I also don't view what's happening to my dd as bullying but won't get in to the details. We arranged for a playdate for the kids to get to know each other better. The other kid apologized and my dd was willing to move on. Other kids might just need more time though and your kid will learn that when we accidentally hurt someone we can't always magically make them feel better. I think that's an important lesson

In our case the kid continues to be not nice so now we are dealing with it via the school as well. Apologies are nice and all but don't do anything if afterwards the insults continue.

Please don't beat yourself up and consider your kid a bully. You might also want to figure out why your kid did it even if it was accident- use it as a learning experience and not just an oh my goodness how could you be so mean moment.. Was he making a joke and didn't realize jokes can hurt people....

GAP

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 4:36 pm
I would have my child write the other child a nice note apologizing for what he did, saying he feels bad that he hurt him, It wasn't intentional, He will not do it again, and that he hopes he will forgive him and be friends again.

Butterfly07

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 4:39 pm
I'd (in agreement with the other mother) make my child a play-date with them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics