Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Kosher dehydrated emergency food

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 6:35 pm
I haven't got this, but my mashgiach says the hechsher is recognized.
It isn't supposed to be yummy, so it's not eaten for pleasure. But it is tolerable. Lasts five years.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergenc.....nding

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 1:13 pm
The box is not large and stores easily and safely in a closet, the comments say. It has vitamins. It's only an emergency stop-gap measure. It certainly doesn't solve everything.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 2:33 pm
What will you do with them if they're not used in 5 years?

Prepping hasn't really hit the urban Orthodox community and it would be advisable to read some prepper blogs if your unfamiliar with the logistics of prepping. For most families with kids I would say that acquiring a good water filter like a Katydid. Hydration is important to adults and children in emergency situations.

As to Kosher survival food, MREs are your best option. Take a look at the Glatt kosher meals available from My Own Meal.

http://www.myownmeals.com/mres-rations/

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 2:50 pm
I don't recall seeing prepper foods with a hechsher before. Might be good for a grab'n'go situation. We keep a well-stocked pantry and have a 50-gallon barrel of water in the basement.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 2:53 pm
Understand too that if you are using dehydrated foods you will need a heat source (besides potable H2O). If gas an electric are out you can hope to have enough propane in your BBQ to service your needs. Better to learn how to make a rocket stove from found objects. There are plenty of YouTubes to show you how.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Fri, Jan 08 2016, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 6:02 pm
Thanks for pointing this brand out. I was looking for emergency food like this. Just in case. And that hechsher is actually an amazing one..... RCC from California. When I asked the Rav was like "you eat Kof K or OU?".

gp2.0

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 8:48 pm
What now? Is the apocalypse coming? No one told me.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 9:18 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What now? Is the apocalypse coming? No one told me.

For folks who live in areas with natural hazards like hurricanes, flooding or earthquakes (to name a few) recognize that prudently taking some safety measures is called for. It's got nothing to do with an apocalyptical POV.

LittleDucky

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 10:29 pm
Or those of us who just want to be prepared "just in case" and not leave it all up to emergency services to help since if it's a bad blizzard/tornado/hurricane/earthquake/blackout/floods/severe drought etc there will likely be tens or hundreds of thousands who need help (if not more). Almost everywhere in the world has SOME reasonable chance of a natural disaster and if not that,consider what would happen if computers were down for the day? Like Y2K? (And if you found a place that didn't have a chance for a natural disaster what is it? Time to make a frum kehila there?!)
And Who says they will be able to help you right away? Who says they won't run out of supplies? Or have kosher options? Yes, in a true emergency you can probably eat whatever to not starve but if I had the opportunity to get something ahead of Time, that is kosher, why should I not?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars