Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Making a Murderer- How Crazy? *Some Early Episode Spoilers

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 10:40 am
I'm anon because I can't stop talking about this IRL and I don't want anyone to connect me to my username.

This is a documentary on Netflix. My mind was boggled by the time I was through. I get that a documentary tends to lean toward one perspective but did anyone else watch this? Thoughts? If you haven't watched it and have access to Netflix...please do!

tryinghard

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 10:57 am
I have been thinking about watching it but am afraid to. My MIL recommended it, but she loves Snapped or whatever that show is called where women go crazy and kill their husbands. Is this gonna make me paranoid or give me nightmares?

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jan 01 2016, 11:05 am
It's not graphic. There is talk of crimes, but you don't see actual pictures of imagery of any bodies being actually injured....The documentary opens with a man being released after eighteen years in prison, after DNA proves he did not commit a crime he was accused of. I saw that it was an hour long, so the whole time I watched it, I thought that was the whole story...I didn't realize there were episodes (silly me)...and after that situation is when the story really gets crazy.
It might make you paranoid about how corrupt our criminal defense justice system can be. It is very disturbing in that sense. But there was no graphic imagery, as far as I recall.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:31 pm
Anyone? This is all over reddit and the news in general but I want to discuss it here....ANYONE?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:22 pm
I just started last week, I've watched 3 episodes so far. I have no one to discuss it with because dh is making fun of me for watching it (he's one of those people who refuses to like anything that's popular). I'll talk to you about it! But I haven't watched them all yet.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:28 pm
Ok...I'm waiting. Smile Once we start talking details, I'll add a spoiler to the heading.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 12:34 pm
Well, the episode I watched last night talked a lot about the nephew. What do you think about the nephew's confession?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:08 pm
I watched about half of one episode so far but it is not news to me that the american justice system is corrupt. I know someone who spent 15+ years in prison for a murder she was clearly innocent of. Prosecuters and police will do almost anything to get a conviction, such as having an obviously guilty person give evidence against an innocent person, just so its easier for them to win the trial. (And the guilty person goes free).

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
I watched about half of one episode so far but it is not news to me that the american justice system is corrupt. I know someone who spent 15+ years in prison for a murder she was clearly innocent of. Prosecuters and police will do almost anything to get a conviction, such as having an obviously guilty person give evidence against an innocent person, just so its easier for them to win the trial. (And the guilty person goes free).

Half of one episode? You haven't even started! Wink Episode one provides background for the main story. It's absolutely necessary to watch, but the corruption that goes on in Episode 1 doesn't come close to what happens next. I've actually worked in the criminal justice system, but the corruption that goes on in this case is shocking even to someone who knows how corrupt the system is. That's how bad it is. I don't want to say too much...just keep watching.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
Well, the episode I watched last night talked a lot about the nephew. What do you think about the nephew's confession?

Which episode was that? Was that the episode with the first questioning? Spoiler below but from early on in the series.

Hidden: 

Is this the one in the school? Where he asks at the end of it if he can go back to class? If you notice, he doesn't give any information, they just give him information, and he says yes/no. When they try to get him to provide details, he starts guessing to give them what they want.... He clearly struggles with mental retardation. It's so sad.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:48 pm
I've been hearing about it and want to watch it, but concerned it will give me nightmares. Is it true?

Also, is it horror movie comparable or action/drama movie comparable. I don't do horror, but I love action/drama.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:50 pm
I'm watching it too. I'm up to the episode after the nephews confession.

It's pretty shocking. I say that as someone who worked in the criminal justice system for close to a decade. I never, ever witnessed the type of outright corruption and abuse of power shown here. On the contrary, we often had to drop cases against people who were likely to be guilty because we felt we could not prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Maybe I just got lucky and had very ethical supervisors but I think most people in the system are not vindictive, unethical egomaniacs like the police and prosecutors seem to be here.

It's hard for me, watching the nephew interviewed, to imagine what the other side of this story might be. It's pretty horrible to watch.

I was just saying to my husband that there's always a ton of debate about who the most mistreated minority in this country is. I think it's poor, marginal (unintelligent) people. The Averys never stood a chance.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:00 pm
Yes, I got as far as the video of the nephew's confession. Indeed, he really got railroaded. A minor, no parent, no lawyer, clearly intellectually slow and easily manipulated...

Mommy2b2c, while the series talks about a lot of disturbing events, it's not visually graphic and definitely not like horror or action. It's a documentary. It's all interviews and news clips and tapes from depositions. Again, some of the details discussed are upsetting, but there's nothing visual to go along with it (zexual assault and murder are key parts of the story, so they're talked about, but they don't depict any of it).

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:15 pm
Yup, it's a documentary. I don't recall any graphic videos. It's disturbing in a way that it tugs at your conscience.

Regarding Brendan's confession, it was just heartbreaking. The saddest is not too long after when his mom asks him on the phone why he would ever say that, and he says, "I just guessed. Like I do at school. " so so sad. I've worked with people who struggle with mental disabilities and it's almost unbearable to watch the Brendan saga. It does get even worse and you can't look away. Keep watching.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
Yup, it's a documentary. I don't recall any graphic videos. It's disturbing in a way that it tugs at your conscience.

Regarding Brendan's confession, it was just heartbreaking. The saddest is not too long after when his mom asks him on the phone why he would ever say that, and he says, "I just guessed. Like I do at school. " so so sad. I've worked with people who struggle with mental disabilities and it's almost unbearable to watch the Brendan saga. It does get even worse and you can't look away. Keep watching.

That line broke my heart too. And you see it in the video of the confession. When they keep asking him again and again "what happened to her..." and you see him trying to come up with what they're looking for, trying to think what would be a plausible answer, and it's not good enough, so he tries a different answer...

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 12:18 pm
I read that a lot of evidence was left out of this documentary, which would change your mind whether Steven is guilty or not.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 12:48 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I read that a lot of evidence was left out of this documentary, which would change your mind whether Steven is guilty or not.

Really like what?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics