Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Can anyone give me info on manhattan high school for girls??
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 1:03 pm
The principal is Mrs. Tzivia Yanovsky and the General studies principal is Ms. Estee Friedman.
A lot has changed...Rebbitzen Assaf is no longer there and she ran a pretty tight ship. I'm sure they still attract the same kind of smart, academically inclined girls but I'm not sure that there is as much of a stress on the rules (dress code, ect/). I hear they have chilled out a lot.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
The principal is Mrs. Tzivia Yanovsky and the General studies principal is Ms. Estee Friedman.
A lot has changed...Rebbitzen Assaf is no longer there and she ran a pretty tight ship. I'm sure they still attract the same kind of smart, academically inclined girls but I'm not sure that there is as much of a stress on the rules (dress code, ect/). I hear they have chilled out a lot.

As a parent there now and under Rebbetzin Assaf, I will tell you that the rules are adhered to far more now than they were. In addition, the school is far warmer. If you view a warmer environment as "chilled" then so be it, but the academics have only improved and the warmth in the school is far better.

OP don't talk to much about MHS as an option as it is very difficult to get into. Don't tell your friends it's where I will send. I believe this past year they had a record number of applications - somewhere between 180 and 200. There are only 50 spots. I personally know brilliant girls who don't dress well out of school and they were not accepted to this year's incoming class at MHS.n Their parents begged, and would have offered significant money - to no avail. I also know very nice girls who were weak students and weren't accepted simply because they wouldn't be able to academically perform. Admission to MHS is not an easy thing.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
As a parent there now and under Rebbetzin Assaf, I will tell you that the rules are adhered to far more now than they were. In addition, the school is far warmer. If you view a warmer environment as "chilled" then so be it, but the academics have only improved and the warmth in the school is far better.

OP don't talk to much about MHS as an option as it is very difficult to get into. Don't tell your friends it's where I will send. I believe this past year they had a record number of applications - somewhere between 180 and 200. There are only 50 spots. I personally know brilliant girls who don't dress well out of school and they were not accepted to this year's incoming class at MHS.n Their parents begged, and would have offered significant money - to no avail. I also know very nice girls who were weak students and weren't accepted simply because they wouldn't be able to academically perform. Admission to MHS is not an easy thing.
was this the mrs Yanofsky from masores?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 4:36 pm
Yes - it is Mrs. Yanofsky from Mesores.
For the poster who wrote that the English Principal was cold (Ms. Friedman) I will just post that her initial impression is one of cold professionalism. After you get to know her, you realize the professionalism is true but the cold is not. She is the warmest person. The girls absolutely adore her and she truly loves them. She has made numerous shidduchim for her students (and she is not yet married). The girls know she is approachable and will listen to their issues, complaints, worries, needs as long as they speak to her with derech eretz and in a calm tone. She is a true Bas Yisroel and is brilliant, warm, full of empathy and puts so much into her job beyond its description.

As for where the girls come from, there are a lot of elementary schools: TAG in Far Rockaway, Shulamith, Yeshiva Ktana of Passaic, YBH in Passaic, YNJ in Teaneck, Bais Yaakov of Queens,Yeshiva of Spring Valley in Monsey, Mesores in Flatbush to name just a few.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 7:38 pm
Another Mhs parent here. My daughter graduated last year. And yes, most girls do end up in Touro or CUNY or Stern. That is what the school wants : girls who can get into Harvard but choose frum environments or ones close to home that are safer. Also many of their girls are winners of full scholarships at Touro, at Stern and are CUNY Mcauleigh (sp)scholars ( super hard to get many of these scholarships). So yes, I paid more for high school. My daughter had an unbelievable learning experience and fun and social experience AND college isn't costing me anything in tuition.

Also their graduates are very polished and poised. They write phenomenally well and are articulate. Writing is stressed in their curriculum and developed as is poise in speaking.

Many if their students do end up pursuing graduate degrees in Ivy League institutions. Not just one here or there gets into top notch grad programs. It's common for their grads to get in.

They also bring in speakers for the girls from the Satmar Rebbetzin to Jonathan Rosenblum to Tehilla Jaeger to watching brain surgery live via satellite hookup. I am jealous of what my daughter received on a daily basis for four years.

mom6131

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 1:17 am
amother wrote:
Another Mhs parent here. My daughter graduated last year. And yes, most girls do end up in Touro or CUNY or Stern. That is what the school wants : girls who can get into Harvard but choose frum environments or ones close to home that are safer. Also many of their girls are winners of full scholarships at Touro, at Stern and are CUNY Mcauleigh (sp)scholars ( super hard to get many of these scholarships). So yes, I paid more for high school. My daughter had an unbelievable learning experience and fun and social experience AND college isn't costing me anything in tuition.

Also their graduates are very polished and poised. They write phenomenally well and are articulate. Writing is stressed in their curriculum and developed as is poise in speaking.

Many if their students do end up pursuing graduate degrees in Ivy League institutions. Not just one here or there gets into top notch grad programs. It's common for their grads to get in.

They also bring in speakers for the girls from the Satmar Rebbetzin to Jonathan Rosenblum to Tehilla Jaeger to watching brain surgery live via satellite hookup. I am jealous of what my daughter received on a daily basis for four years.
are they strict? How's the tznius level?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 2:09 pm
Went to Drav MEir- graduated in 2007 so I can tell you about it. Very good staff of teacher- warm, involved and the principal too is very much emotionally invested. As far as academic, I would not say that. I am a professional and I feel that came independently. I would say most girls do Sara Schneirer, Reizel Reit and Touro to get a cookie cutter degree to support husbands learning in Lakewood. It is not so academic- they make you study a lot of miforshim and there are many subjects.

Manhattan is a superior education but it may be jappy. Prospect has a lot of smart, academic girls but is not as jappy as Manhattan.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 10:58 pm
How is the school today? What kind of girl? Still very academic?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children