Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Loved Mishpacha Fiction on High School Jobs
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:24 pm
I also was basically ignored the entire high school- got good grades and even had a solo taken away from me at last minute and was given to someone who "needed it " more.

I was pissed and my goal in life was to prove to my principal and teachers that I am far more capable than they perceived me and I ain't no plain Jane. That has alway been my drive to suuceede and bh I feel that I have gone very far in life, accomplished a lot. And I feel a stab of revenge every time I run into any faculty from my high school.

And I too rip up any correspondence or request for money from my high school.

UQT

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 6:13 pm
The princials letter was just too much. And how they gave out the article to the twelfth grade class to prove to them how perfect the system is. Sounds like it hit her where it hurts and she rammed her side down the kids throats. Sheesh let kids think for themselves.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 7:36 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And if they would have signed their names people would have appreciated their message? Please note: I'm not a NY principal nor have I ever played on on TV. I need to read the letter again, I guess, becuase I don't remember it being that awful.

Would know which school/principal to AVOID is more like it.

debsey

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 7:48 pm
Can someone post that letter? I must have missed it. I'd love to know what the "reasons" were for objecting to a story that told a lot of truth.....

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 8:00 pm
I don't remember exactly but I think it was something shallow like "stories like this are dangerous because they give kids the idea (lololol) to find fault with their sacred schools"

iluvy

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:45 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And if they would have signed their names people would have appreciated their message? Please note: I'm not a NY principal nor have I ever played on on TV. I need to read the letter again, I guess, becuase I don't remember it being that awful.

If they would have put their names to it as chinuch professionals, I still would have disagreed with their message but would have given it more attention and respect. As it was, the word that came to mind was "immature."

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 5:33 am
Clearly if those principals wrote in a letter to a FICTION story, full of venom at that, there was a lot of truth to it or they would have just ignored it as a fictitious story.

debsey

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:54 am
seeker wrote:
I don't remember exactly but I think it was something shallow like "stories like this are dangerous because they give kids the idea (lololol) to find fault with their sacred schools"
Because otherwise, they'd never figure it out? By that logic, the story never would have been written!

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:13 am
First, IIRC, it was a lifelines story, which is not fiction.

The principal's argument was ridiculous. She was annoyed that the article was published. She started a discussion about it with her students, but was upset that the "nasty" article had to be the starting point of the discussion. Why couldn't she lead the discussion without it hanging over her head?

Ha, ha! What was keeping her back from having this discussion all these years?? She only had the discussion after the article was printed!!! Which means it did its job. Kudos to the author and to Mishpacha for publishing it and giving a voice to all of us who felt disenfranchised throughout our HS years.

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
First, IIRC, it was a lifelines story, which is not fiction.

The principal's argument was ridiculous. She was annoyed that the article was published. She started a discussion about it with her students, but was upset that the "nasty" article had to be the starting point of the discussion. Why couldn't she lead the discussion without it hanging over her head?

Ha, ha! What was keeping her back from having this discussion all these years?? She only had the discussion after the article was printed!!! Which means it did its job. Kudos to the author and to Mishpacha for publishing it and giving a voice to all of us who felt disenfranchised throughout our HS years.

I'm almost sure that it was fiction. It wasn't a lifelines story.

And I agree with your post 100%.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:44 am
To be fair to some high schools where the system has changed as a result of bringing in a new staff that includes principals and other staff members with a fresh outlook on curriculum and extracurricular activities etc, that letter reeked of stiff establishment mentality and the sooner she realizes that it doesn't fly with today's parents (and students who give up and say the heck with all those "honors") the better off she'll be.
They need to give students a reason to try and prove themselves.

Growing

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:07 am
Time for a real system change.

Let no child go unnoticed.

Even in my own home as a parent I struggle to give the child who is not in the limelight for disability discipline or talent enough attention and acknowledgement.

Somehow I hold schools more accountable. Schools need reminders that they are teaching children not subjects, they are giving lessons, not instructions, they are building people, not mosdos.

If everyone from the top down would know that a schools mission statement is first and foremost 'nurture, so every child should bloom' [and do everything to make it happen] we would see a lot of innovative ideas.

We long passed the urgency of the Sara Schnierer era when we feared assimilation.

We now need someone of her caliber to address the commercialization of our schools, to bring back true caring compassion and human touch to the teaching profession. We need every employee in our childrens schools to have a heart first instead of a head first approach. We have to think more about the separate individuals walking through the classroom doors each morning and less about collective marks and averages. We have to imagine a classroom where children feel cherished, not threatened, lead not ordered about.

Public applause to those who do give our children their utmost while working on a job that is sometimes grossly underpaid. Your influence cannot be measured.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:57 am
Does anyone have a copy of this article? I'd appreciate if you could pm me.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room