Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Restricted Diet and Healthy Fats

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 12:26 pm
I'm on a very restricted diet and find that lots of what I'm eating contain healthy fats and are therefore high in calories. Examples include sunflower seeds, tahini, avocado, and nuts.

How do I know how much is too much?

November

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 1:08 pm
Did someone put you on this diet? If so,ask them .

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 3:35 pm
November wrote:
Did someone put you on this diet? If so,ask them .

Yes, but I can't ask until my next appointment which is in a while. There are other women on restricted diets who should have experience so I was hoping for their input.

So for those on similar diets, or those who make sure to consume healthy fats, how much do you generally have? Do you limit yourself? What to you constitutes a good balance?

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 3:49 pm
I count 1/4 of an avocado as a serving
1 oz of nuts is a serving (about 9 almonds)
I limit myself to about 3 tsp of olive oil a day
but I am on an all around healthy diet...not sure what diet you are on.
Limit myself to a total of 5-6 servings of fat per day

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 4:56 pm
They say eating healthy fats actually helps you lose weight. Nutrition has been very wrong in the last few decades. Make sure whoever is giving you information is UP TO DATE.

I add fat to every meal, purposefully. I eat animal protein, vegetables, some fruit and some nuts/seeds. That's it.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
They say eating healthy fats actually helps you lose weight. Nutrition has been very wrong in the last few decades. Make sure whoever is giving you information is UP TO DATE.

I add fat to every meal, purposefully. I eat animal protein, vegetables, some fruit and some nuts/seeds. That's it.

This diet is not a weight-loss diet but rather for health purposes. I eat plenty of healthy fats.
My question is, how much is too much?

SS6099

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 7:42 pm
Why not make an appointment with a nutritionist? This is when one can be very helpful.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
I'm on a very restricted diet and find that lots of what I'm eating contain healthy fats and are therefore high in calories. Examples include sunflower seeds, tahini, avocado, and nuts.

How do I know how much is too much?

What is your overall diet besides for these fats?
Are there any carbohydrates involved?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:

Not everyone says a paleo diet is healthy nor is it healthy for everyone. There are many, many accounts of such diets causing thyroid disorders, especially in women.

thanks

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:57 pm
You can try logging your foods in the myfitnesspal app. You will have a better idea of how many calories, and how much fat you are eating.

mandksima

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 3:06 pm
I would limit nuts and seeds as they can have bad properties (phytates and Omega 6 overload) if consumed too frequently or not soaked, etc. You can't really go overboard with olive or coconut oil as you are not consuming more than it takes to prepare the meal, I assume. Avocados are great, you can even add to a smoothie. I don't even like tham but I add them into things that I can't taste. The calories add on with fats but if you are eating it with protein and veg, you are doing it right. Don't be afraid of healthy fats. They keep your blood sugar stabilized and feeling full and satiated.

Read a lot of current nutritional information. How are you feeling on this diet? That says a lot. After an initial getting used to a new way of eating, your body will let you know if it is working for you. Are you full of energy? Need less sleep at night/ no naps? Skin glowing? Less inflammation or body aches? Bathroom habits changed? Too much fat can change your bathroom habits but it may not be a bad thing. I would suggest a natural nutritionist to guide you, not a standard nutritionist.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 3:40 pm
Thanks to all who responded. This diet is medically required for now so I need to stick to it despite not actually seeing any difference. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.

mandksima, when you say limit nuts and seeds, how do you define limit? A serving per day? Three servings per day? Three servings per week?

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 4:44 pm
Olive oil and salmon come to mind. What about coconut oil?

mandksima

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. This diet is medically required for now so I need to stick to it despite not actually seeing any difference. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.

mandksima, when you say limit nuts and seeds, how do you define limit? A serving per day? Three servings per day? Three servings per week?

It probably depends on why this diet is required for you. For inflammation? Then you shouldn't overdo it with foods that can cause inflammation. Nightshades could also be in this group.

For Hashimoto's/Fibro, etc? Thyroid and autoimmune disorders do great with this diet. It could be the nuts and seeds would be fine for you. You can go off of them altogether for a week maybe and they try some. If you don't notice any effects, add them back in daily. Part of the reason I limit them is that it is easy to use them as flours and butters and use too many without realizing it. I make sure to eat 3 brazil nuts daily as they are great for thyroid health but so are sunflower seeds. I find myself eating too many substitutions for off limit foods when using nuts for flour and not enough veg/protein meals/snacks if I am getting lazy and want baked items as comfort food. I have a hard time losing weight when I eat too many nuts and fruit so I limit those. If weight is not a reason for this diet at all, perhaps you can be lenient. I would worry if you are not feeling great. If you feel good, keep doing what you are doing. Don't let the fat percentage bother you. You need that to get healthy.

You can probably wait until you see your health practitioner again and ask her/him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking