Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Reasonably priced, simple but good washer/dryer

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 8:32 pm
We are on the market for a washer and dryer. We live in a rental, so we don't need a top quality one, but something that is functional and will be easy to possibly move or sell later on. I am totally new to this.

Any ideas?

TIA!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 8:37 pm
I'd suggest buying pre-owned from someone who is moving or upgrading.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'd suggest buying pre-owned from someone who is moving or upgrading.

So I thought about that, but decent quality used ones aren't so easy to find. If I am not paying that much then it may be worth it, but B"H a very generous family member wants to buy a new one for us as a gift. We don't want to take advantage and spend a ton of money, but we do want to get a new one.

Merrymom

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:11 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
So I thought about that, but decent quality used ones aren't so easy to find. If I am not paying that much then it may be worth it, but B"H a very generous family member wants to buy a new one for us as a gift. We don't want to take advantage and spend a ton of money, but we do want to get a new one.

Minimum cost on these after installation is about $800.

sky

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:27 pm
I recently bought a washer and thought I could still buy a simple old model for a reasonable price. I learned quickly they just don't work like they used to. Don't rely that just because a washer looks like an old one - has agitator it will work like your old one did, they use a lot less water and don't clean as well.
I ended up spending a lot more then I thought a washer should ever cost (and they don't guarantee that they will last very long).

I got new. But from what I heard buying an older refurbished model with some sort of guarantee from someone with a good reputation isn't a bad idea these days.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:34 pm
Merrymom wrote:
Minimum cost on these after installation is about $800.

I am prepared for that. I just want some ideas of decent models in the low price range.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:37 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
We are on the market for a washer and dryer. We live in a rental, so we don't need a top quality one, but something that is functional and will be easy to possibly move or sell later on. I am totally new to this.

Any ideas?

TIA!

One thing I have learned in life is that of someone offers, say thank you and accept right away.
My in law's offered to buy us a HE front loader and dryer when we moved, to replace the college sized stackable we had to purchase for our previous apartment as that was all that fit. I told my MIL that I didn't want her to waste her money on an upgrade because hopefully we'd be moving to a bigger apartment in the near future at which point I hoped I'd be able to purchase any size washer / dryer and not be limited to size.
Well, we've been in this apartment for 6 1/2 years. 2 years ago we had to replace our washer and dryer on our own because they weren't offering at that time. And we were able to buy the size we wanted and still fit it into our small laundry closet here. But we had to pay the big bucks.

So take the gift, appreciate it, enjoy it, and kiss your relatives in thanks Smile

L K

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 7:29 pm
sky wrote:
I recently bought a washer and thought I could still buy a simple old model for a reasonable price. I learned quickly they just don't work like they used to. Don't rely that just because a washer looks like an old one - has agitator it will work like your old one did, they use a lot less water and don't clean as well.
I ended up spending a lot more then I thought a washer should ever cost (and they don't guarantee that they will last very long).

I got new. But from what I heard buying an older refurbished model with some sort of guarantee from someone with a good reputation isn't a bad idea these days.

Sky, are you happy with what you got? If so what is it?

bobeli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:08 pm
buy this weekend (4th of july) there are real sales, even in the jewish stores, or they will price match to other store with the sale.
be careful with installation charges, for a gas dryer do pay installation ( 45 to 65 dollars is ok), a washer you can do yourself or maybe pay 25. (you just have to connect the hoses and plug it.
I recommend S and W in williamsburg because their prices are good, the cs is great, they fill out the rebates for you and the standard charges are very reasonable, their extended guaranty is also good priced. but you have to call them because the website has higher prices. they price match too.

be aware that machines now a days don't last 30 years like in the past so if you get 7-9 years out of it you are good.

L K

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:16 pm
Which machines though?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:38 pm
I recently bought a washer, since the one that came with the house I'm already living in for 15+ years died. I was warned that they don't make them like they used to. The appliance repair guy who is also a family friend that I trust, told me to go with the Speed Queen, which he said is much better than the Whirlpool even though it's nearly double the price. He said he has few service calls for it.

So far so good.

Lani22

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:48 pm
Yep, I bought a top of the line front loader Electrolux. It broke after 6 months! The repair man said that the speed queen is the best bang for your buck.

L K

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:50 pm
Chayalle, that's interesting that I haven't even heard of the brand!

Did you get top or front loading one?

It seems in specs though that it is relatively small compared to other machines out there. Does 3.3 cf make sense?

L K

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:51 pm
What about the big big big lg's?
Are they not good? It's a shame then, they are so roomy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars