Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
In S/O not the typical heimish Shabbos menu
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

momma123

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:54 pm
Maya wrote:
I serve the same menu for both meals.

We have whole wheat baguettes and challah, with olive oil and assorted cheeses (skipped if I'm going to serve chicken soup) Sometimes we add some dips, like hummus or eggplant dip, etc.

Next course is some kind of salmon, either baked or poached or sweet and sour. Served with quinoa, rice, mujadara or similar; broccoli, carrot or similar lllp Question kugel; roasted vegetables or a salad.

We end with soup, a different one every week. And sometimes dessert.

I add cholent for Shabbos lunch.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 9:02 pm
sourstix wrote:
maya I feel sorry for you. that you had to use such vulgar words to express yourself. it would be wise of you to cool down before you post to someone who did nothing to you. and didnt mean you at all.

it would be wise for you to seek a good therapist to help you sort out all your chasidus issues.

1. This is inappropriate and uncalled for. You are bringing what sounds like precious resentment into your post.
2. Why did you mention anything in the first place? Op did not want a hashkafic opinion, she wanted food options. You could have started a spinoff.
3. Let's not confuse minhag with Halachah. Sure, it's a minhag to have some things (the shulchan aruch [if I remember correcrly] suggests having a potato pudding, but that's because all they could afford in those days was potatoes; it's also a good idea to eat something hot, to show that we listen to the oral Torah as well). But it's not Halachah! And if someone has more pleasure from eating tastier/healthier/different foods than those suggested in seforim, by all means, they should do so for their oneg shabbos.

Op: I never make cholent or potato kugel. For mains on shabbos day I serve grilled chicken/breaded chicken cutlets with a sauce or dip/ corned beef/ London broil/ Veal roast or cutlets , all of which I warm up on a hot plate.
For sides I do salads (not only lettuce salads, also tomato or hearts of palm or other such salads), roasted vegetables, or broccoli kugel.

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 9:21 pm
We always try to serve some form of basar v'dagim.

Beyond that, its nice to do

A big salad course with varied salads,

Tortilla chips with guacamole,

Sushi,

Veggie quiche (non dairy),

Lo mein,

Interesting soups,

Potato boreka with mushroom sauce,

Things like that Tongue Out

trixx

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 10:02 pm
sourstix wrote:
and watch what you say about big great tzadikim that you have never met that ment it leshem shamayim.

I'm not maya and I literally rolled my eyes at your utter self-righteousness. get off your high horse and take a chill woman. people in Russia ate potatoes hence kugel. people in Morroco had spicy foods hence their traditional dips. it's not rocket science.

OP I've seen sushi salad or sushi instead of fish for day. for night, just 1st course and soup.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 10:16 pm
tichellady wrote:
I am not chassidish and never grew up eating heimish food. Considering that my ancestors were extremely poor I am sure they were thrilled to eat whatever they got on shabbos. We eat food that we enjoy, whether that be meat, fish or dairy, depending on the week.

Growing up we had meat (tough over cooked) some version of potatoes, some version of cabbage and beets. Sometimes it would just be soup and chicken was a seasonal meat. For fish we would sometimes have pickled herring. As my parents lot improved and my mother began to learn to cook from Italians and other ethnic people in town our shabbos table had a bit more variety.

I cook what I want to cook and eat. When all the kids were home there was always a roast chicken and a nice veggie entree or expanded side for the non meat eating children. I would add a seasonal salad and veg. Sometimes when the votes were unanimous there would be a main course of soup. (Italian chicken soup with lemon and tiny chicken meat balls or a spicy lentil with little minted lamb meatballs.)

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 10:33 pm
Sourstix do you eat pasteeda on shabbos

Why not ? The Rama said to eat it and he was a lot holier then any Rebbe a few hundred years later..

Do you eat cisa d harseena ? The gamarra says even the poorest Jew is required to eat it with their seuda.

r1

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 11:44 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
1. This is inappropriate and uncalled for. You are bringing what sounds like precious resentment into your post.
2. Why did you mention anything in the first place? Op did not want a hashkafic opinion, she wanted food options. You could have started a spinoff.
3. Let's not confuse minhag with Halachah. Sure, it's a minhag to have some things (the shulchan aruch [if I remember correcrly] suggests having a potato pudding, but that's because all they could afford in those days was potatoes; it's also a good idea to eat something hot, to show that we listen to the oral Torah as well). But it's not Halachah! And if someone has more pleasure from eating tastier/healthier/different foods than those suggested in seforim, by all means, they should do so for their oneg shabbos.

Op: I never make cholent or potato kugel. For mains on shabbos day I serve grilled chicken/breaded chicken cutlets with a sauce or dip/ corned beef/ London broil/ Veal roast or cutlets , all of which I warm up on a hot plate.
For sides I do salads (not only lettuce salads, also tomato or hearts of palm or other such salads), roasted vegetables, or broccoli kugel.

I'm not her and do not have an opinion, aside from the fact the maya started with calling Minhagim "bs", foul and uncalled for.
Sourstix is plenty right for calling her out on it, if she didn't, I would.
She did not say it's Halacha or that others should do it, just that ppl we can all agree are holy considered it a value, so there is no need to bash it in crude terms.
This is not the forum for a philosophical discussion, it's for recipes, so let's focus on that.
I like the traditional menu, and have a hard time figuring out how to cook other stuff in advance/ heat it

boymom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 1:24 am
you can stick to traditional menu but make it untraditional at the same time.
for example- serve a cubed salmon in a salad, or a piece of tilapia and fresh salad with it.
cholent doesn't have to be meat and beans. you can keep the meat but add diff veggies such as sweet potato, carrots, celery, button mushrooms.

you can do a couscous salad if you're bored of farfel.

I've done little turnovers filled with cubed cold cuts instead of meat Friday night. or how about cold cut wraps.

I've seem pple serve cut up fruit as an appetizer by everyone's place.

do different dips every week so you have variety.

I think the only thing the torah says is "basar vedagim vechul minei matamim" buy not halachah. just recommendation as to what Shabbos food should be.

all other traditional foods we make are tradition. every community has own tradition.
for chassidim it became "mesorah" for us cuz chassidish rebbes took the foods we were making already and found connections/gematrias for it.
happens to be it was eggs, farfel, kugel.... had it been quinoa, tuna, and cauliflower kugel, they would have found a connection/gematria for it too. that's what my very chassidish dh told me.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 2:23 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Sourstix do you eat pasteeda on shabbos

Why not ? The Rama said to eat it and he was a lot holier then any Rebbe a few hundred years later..

Do you eat cisa d harseena ? The gamarra says even the poorest Jew is required to eat it with their seuda.

I learned once that the Pashtida Rashi refers to is pasta. Do you think the Ramah refers to pasta as well?

5mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 2:36 am
boymom wrote:

I think the only thing the torah says is "basar vedagim vechul minei matamim" buy not halachah. just recommendation as to what Shabbos food should be.

Those words are not in the Torah. They are from the zemer Yom Zeh Mechubad.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:41 am
I once learned that all Shabbos food has the gematria of 7.
There are a few ways of figuring gematrias, so you just have to figure the right way.
There now it's all Shabbos food with a mesora.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:17 am
5mom wrote:
Those words are not in the Torah. They are from the zemer Yom Zeh Mechubad.

How the heck is this a recipe? Is this the new "unlike hug button" for the recipe section?

EDITED

Who are you un-likers?

moonstone

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 5:17 am
We often have chalavi for shabbat lunch- lasagna, cheesy quiches, bagel and cream cheese. It's great, and a really nice change from besari.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 5:44 am
this is pretty much what I serve every week:

first course: fish of some type - gefilta, smoked salmon, fried gefilta, saucy gefilta (just one type usually) 2-3 dips, and a fresh salad. Or every few weeks I skip fish and salad and serve chicken soup instead. But I always put out dips or there would be a revolt. LOL

Main course, always baked chicken pieces and green beans with onions. I do 2 or 3 different sides every week - rice, orzo, roast veggies, roast potatoes british style, baby roast potatoes with rosemary and garlic, roast peppers, cabbage and noodles, farfel, potato kugel, squash kugel, roast sweet potatoes with sweet chili sauce and cashews, roast parsnips, mushroom borekas...

I do make kugel but only occasionally. When we do have it it is a treat. On pesach we eat it a lot.

Shabbos lunch I do either fish and salads or cholent or cold cuts and challah. If we have guests I do both fish and cholent.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 6:05 am
moonstone wrote:
We often have chalavi for shabbat lunch- lasagna, cheesy quiches, bagel and cream cheese. It's great, and a really nice change from besari.

We just did that this past Shabbat, but only because my biggest chicken eater who hates chalavi was away on a Shabbaton so we used the opportunity.
DH went along but I know he really prefers besari too.
So unfortunately this type of lunch is only a rare treat for us.
I try to lighten up our regular besari Shabbat lunches by serving a tossed green salad as a first course, sometimes with fish on the side but often just alone. I make cholent only 3 or 4 times a year, in the winter, usually when we're having a crowd. Generally the main dish is chicken with a side of grains/pulses, a cooked veg and some sort of kugel (I love all types of kugel Smile ). Sometimes another type of salad too. I avoid making and serving things with dough which I find very heavy.
Dessert is usually homemade cake or apple or fruit crumble or crisp - nothing with whip.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 6:57 am
sourstix wrote:
you should just know that all the "traditional foods" that you mentioned op, has a mesorah. so its there for a reason. and there are seforim and I actually have one that is kid freindly that even kids can read on their own and understand the reason for each of the foods we eat on shabbos.

enjoy whatever you make and say lekovod shabbos. and make it a happy place. thats what kids remember.

Which seforim have information about this topic?

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 6:59 am
allthingsblue wrote:
3. Let's not confuse minhag with Halachah. Sure, it's a minhag to have some things (the shulchan aruch [if I remember correcrly] suggests having a potato pudding, but that's because all they could afford in those days was potatoes; it's also a good idea to eat something hot, to show that we listen to the oral Torah as well). But it's not Halachah!

If anyone knows what the Shulchan Aruch actually says about this and where, I would like to know too.

Fave

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 7:19 am
r1 wrote:
I'm not her and do not have an opinion, aside from the fact the maya started with calling Minhagim "bs", foul and uncalled for.
Sourstix is plenty right for calling her out on it, if she didn't, I would.
She did not say it's Halacha or that others should do it, just that ppl we can all agree are holy considered it a value, so there is no need to bash it in crude terms.
This is not the forum for a philosophical discussion, it's for recipes, so let's focus on that.
I like the traditional menu, and have a hard time figuring out how to cook other stuff in advance/ heat it

👍🏼

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 7:34 am
[/quote] course, always baked chicken pieces and green beans with onions. I do 2 or 3 different sides every week - rice, orzo, roast veggies, roast potatoes british style, baby roast potatoes with rosemary and garlic, roast peppers, cabbage and noodles, farfel, potato kugel, squash kugel, roast sweet potatoes with sweet chili sauce and cashews, roast parsnips, mushroom borekas...

I do make kugel but only occasionally. When we do have it it is a treat. On pesach we eat it a lot.

Shabbos lunch I do either fish and salads or cholent or cold cuts and challah. If we have guests I do both fish and cholent.[/quote]

What is involved or how does one roast potatoes British style?

nylon

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 8:17 am
It can't be the S"A mentioning potato pudding because R' Yosef Caro wouldn't have known a potato if he stepped on it. Aruch Hashulchan, possibly, which was compiled after the introduction of the potato and the development of the kugel as a baked pudding rather than a dumpling in the stew.

Let's not forget that the dishes we now think of as "traditional" Ashkenazi or heimish cooking are not very ancient, generally dating from the late 19th or early 20th centuries. Potatoes, which we now think of as the archetypal shtetl food, took some time to travel, depending on region (Russia was a late adopter). Without the Americas, we wouldn't have potatoes, beans, tomatoes, paprika, bell peppers, or corn (for mamaliga). And the sugarbeet industry that gave Polish cooking its sweet edge is a 19th century development.

British style roast potatoes are delicious! Peel russet or other starchy potatoes, cut into chunks, put in a pot of cold water. Bring to the boil and boil about 3 minutes. Drain. You can do this a few hours ahead. When you're ready to cook them, heat the oven to 425. Put the fat of your choice on a rimmed baking sheet (like a jelly roll pan and I recommend nonstick)--my mother in law swears by goose fat and I use vegetable oil with a dollop of schmaltz for flavor. Put the pan in the oven to get hot for a few minutes, so the oil is hot and shimmery. Now put the potatoes right into the hot fat, I add a little sea salt and rosemary sprigs. Toss them a little in the hot fat and spread them out in a single layer. Roast for 15-20 mins or till you see some brown edges. Flip the potatoes to brown the other side and roast a few minutes more. Remove with a slotted spatula, put into your serving dish and sprinkle with salt--best right away but you can reheat, just don't do it too far ahead.

You can make them without parboiling but I think they come out better if you do. If you roast from raw it will take longer.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus