Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Gift giving on a budget

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 11:59 am
How do you go about giving gifts to people when you are on a very tight budget and trying to save money. I would like to buy a gift for my babysitter who will be leaving us soon and has been so wonderful, a friend of mine who has been so helpful to me, a neighbor of mine who just had a baby, as well as other people who have done favors for us recently since I had a child in the hospital for several months and I feel so guilty about how much people have done for my family. Besides for being on a budget, buying and assembling gifts with a nice card and making it look nice takes so much out of me! I am not the baker/cooking type either as I do very simple meals for my family. I guess I have a very low self esteem when it comes to cooking dinner for other people and assembling nice gifts. Gift cards are the easiest thing in my opinion but the most expensive option as well...please help.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 12:21 pm
Unfortunately, gifts require either money or time along with having a sense of what the other person would really appreciate which sometimes isn't all about the money.

For standard gifts that show you care, start having a gift shelf where you buy nice stuff on sale. I used to pick up,wonderful stiff insanely cheap at the Bath and Body Works and what woman doesn't appreciate nice shower soaps or what not.

You don't need great talent or a lot of time to make scrumptious brownies or other bar cookie. Other gifts that are cheap and easy are gifting someone with a mix and the instructions. You can do this with the makings for a bean soup or pancakes or even cookies. Other mixes are for gourmet hot chocolate. These are just some examples.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jan 19 2016, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 12:22 pm
find nice things at clearance prices ... think marshall's, tj maxx,

for example - you can buy essie nail polish at the drug store for $9.99 or at tj maxx for $3.99

you can buy a really nice table cloth at macy's or on clearance shelves at bed bath & beyond with a 20% off coupon atop that ...

remember that hakoras hatov isn't always acknowledged with a gift ... sometimes a sincere thank you note will do [especially when you don't have the financial means]

in this case your babysitter is important ...

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:05 pm
I would focus on the babysitter because she is leaving and you have a relationship. That's the one you should go to TJ Maxx or the like for.
I would skip the neighbor's baby gift. There's no serious rule about neighbors giving baby gifts. Unless you received a baby gift in the past that you never got around to using and can re-wrap and pass on.
The others I hear your desire to recognize their help. If your financial situation is temporary, I think it's OK to wait it out on this one. They will still get the same warm fuzzies if they get thanked several months after the situation has passed. When you have a child in the hospital and people help out, it's because they want to and they care, they are not expecting anything in return and if they know that things are hard for you then THEY will feel guilty if you give them something. At most maybe see if there is something small and sweet that you can get cheaply by the dozen (or so) and write a sincere note of thanks to go with it.

Miri7

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:10 pm
For friends who have helped you out recently - never underestimate the value of a very personal, thoughtful thank you card. Not the formula "Thank you so much for _________. I appreciate it so much.", but a really heartfelt thank you note.

For the neighbor - something simple, like a baby book or some prepared food frozen for her to reheat when baby comes - those are all simple and greatly appreciated. When I see baby books on sale, I grab a handful so I have them ready to give as gifts.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:18 pm
I'm someone also that has a tight budget and I feel indebted to a lot of people and wish I can give each one gifts.
I have this problem when it comes to Chanuka and Purim too, with the Rebbes, babysitter etc. My DH is adamant that I dont have the funds to buy gifts for everyone. So I have learned that I need to swallow my pride and I cant give what I really want to give and what I do is I write a very heartfelt letter or poem ...something very personal thanking them for being that special person in your life. The feedback I always got was great. I even had a menahel from one of my kids schools call me on the phone to tell me how thankful that Rebbe was for receiving my letter. He showed it to everyone in the teachers room and the principal said he was going to keep it in a file as a sample of what "true hakaras hatov" means....so I did not give money , I did not give tips but I gave a heartfelt message that meant more to them than
anything.

You can always make your letter the focus and add a small cheap "tchotchke" for under $10.00 to go along with it as a token.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics