Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help dont know what to do in this situation.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 12:14 pm
I work for a doctor that doesnt take any insurance.
He is jewish but not frum at all. His patients are mostly chassidish.
The patients call and they always ask for a discount. For what my boss does he is the cheapest doctor around.
My problem is I am in the middle. One one hand I know how tight people are with all expenses they have but on the other hand he is my boss and I am uncomfortable asking for a discount for them because he gets a negative view about chassidim. I understand their mentality because I live in a very chassisdish area but he doesnt.

So how do I handle this delicate situation.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 12:17 pm
Does he give discounts for anyone? If not, there's no question- don't ask for any discounts. If he does, then ask him for the discount and if he feels like saying yes, he will; if not, not.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 12:19 pm
You work the doctor. If the patients can't afford to pay his fees, they should go see doctors that take insurance.

I think it's extremely nervy to ask a doctor for discounts. It's one thing if people don't have insurance, a sliding scale fee may be appropriate. But as I highly doubt all the patients are uninsured, I think it's wrong

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 12:44 pm
He does give discounts but does not think very highly of chassidim after he says yes.
He is always complaining to me about them and it is very hard for me to listen to it.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 12:47 pm
Maybe it would help to sit down and ask him what he would like you to say when people call with this request. Does he want the response to be a blanket "sorry, no", or will he deal with it on a case by case basis?

It is probably not your job to decide whether an overwhelming number of requests causes your boss to have a negative impression of Chassidish Jews or not. Or, unless he says otherwise, which needs would make a difference in his decision.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 12:57 pm
At the end of the day, you are his employee so you do have a duty to safeguard his practice (both in terms of finances but that can include reputation if it can affect future revenue of the practice).

To avoid you being in an uncomfortable situation in future, why don't you have a meeting with him, and ask him to clarify what the practice's discount policy should be. There should be a set guideline you can follow, regardless of what the patients ethnic/religious background is. Do you have a sound BUSINESS argument why he should be granting discount? Are there any alternatives, like installed payment plan (if so how do you manage credit risk)?

STMommy

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 2:01 pm
Agree with previous posters. Schedule a meeting with him to develop a payment policy. Then stick to it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics