Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this wierd?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 9:02 pm
Random question.
What would you think of someone who was a guest for the weekend at your house, needed a nail scissor, so the guest went into the bathroom and opened the medicine cabinet (as you were sitting right there), helped themselves to your nail scissor to use for whatever personal purpose, and then off-handedly commented that some of the contents of your medicine cabinet aren't so safe for children.
Was I right to feel somewhat invaded and defensive? Or do I need to loosen up if I'm gonna host guests?
(And since when are bathroom medicine cabinets designed to house only child-safe items?)
PS - this is not a "we live in each other's houses, 'mi casa su casa' " type of guest. They come maybe once a year on average. It's a distant relative.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 9:04 pm
To clarify:
I was not actually sitting in the bathroom at the time. I was sitting a few feet away from the bathroom watching as she was doing this.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 9:10 pm
Well she wasn't being very polite. Move on, let it go

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 10:30 pm
to me a good guest is one that can make themselves at home ... sure take a q-tip, use the filer, ask for something you cannot find, open the fridge have a drink, et cetera

now I know I don't have to run after you to make you feel good

thanx come again ~

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 10:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
to me a good guest is one that can make themselves at home ... sure take a q-tip, use the filer, ask for something you cannot find, open the fridge have a drink, et cetera

now I know I don't have to run after you to make you feel good

thanx come again ~

I'm fine with that, but I was brought up that a medicine cabinet is a slightly more personal area and it's kinda rude to just open it without asking - not to mention using one of my personal care items without asking (had she asked, I would have happily lent it to her, sterilized before & after) and questioning whether I'm a responsible parent because she saw some medical paraphernalia in there.
Something just rubbed me the wrong way.

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 2:36 am
I agree with you. Ew. Not just you but clearly she is missing tact or thinks nothing of using someone else's personal care items (I mean, if I catch dh using my nail clipper, I sterilize it up and down).

5mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 2:47 am
It is weird, but since this is a distant relative who hardly ever visits, I would let it go.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 2:48 am
To me, a good guest will ask before using anything outside the ordinary. You need a napkin? Don't ask, just grab from the holder. You want to borrow my stick deodorant? Um, please tell me, and I'll give you my unopened travel sized one.

I think, had I been the host sitting right there, I might have said, upon the reaching for the medicine cabinet door, "Do you need something? Here, let me wipe that down."

But I'm with MamaBear.

Sometimes, commenting on the rudeness of others is equally as rude as the offense. And LH is worse. (Not that you gave indication that you were planning on either one, OP.)

little_mage

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 6:00 am
The comment was definitely rude. And I'd probably ask for something a little out of the ordinary and not just go looking for it. However, assuming they were using nail scissors on nails, it wouldn't occur to me that it was something that needs to be sterilized after use, assuming hands were a normal level of cleanness.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 6:06 am
I would tell her to face. She probably does it other places and it would do her well to tell her that it's not nice. She clearly need some help in that area. (im assuming she's still young - not like a middle age person)

CPenzias

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 6:17 am
Isn't a medicine cabinet high up? That's where I put things that I don't want my kids to touch...

baba

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 7:00 am
Weird. I'm very close with my inlaws, but if I ever need anything from their bathroom I would always ask first. But yeah, just let it go. It's def her problem.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 9:55 am
yeah using someone else's deodorant & shavers would be uncool ... but you hope those are the things one would ask "hey you have an extra shaver"

happyfaces

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 9:59 am
Op I'm with you....she's lacking something.....manners!!!!

STMommy

Post Wed, Jan 20 2016, 2:10 pm
It was weird and rude.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette