Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
"I know what causes autism"

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:59 pm
This expresses my feelings, and that of a lot of people I know.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html

lfab

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 1:13 pm
Thanks for sharing.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 2:03 pm
As someone with a brother on the autism spectrum, I really appreciated reading that.

(BTW - my mother a"h used to say she sensed something different from day 1 - he was her 10th child, and he was different. I think she would've liked this article, too.)

return2You

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 3:00 pm
Great article

naomi2

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 4:36 pm
This is a nice change from the blame game, thank you for sharing!

animeme

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 5:05 pm
This is a really lovely article. So many of us have these same conversations with ourselves every day.

And it continues with the choices we make afterwards. Did we impede our kids' progress by putting them in a self contained class? By not putting them in a self contained class? Were we negligent for not going gluten and casein free, and by giving in to the desiire for colored sprinkles?

And as always, who, really, is my child? It's trendy these days to say that he is himself and he has autism, vs saying that he's autistic and therefore defined by it. But truthfully, so much of his personality IS defined by it. And much of that are things we want to get rid of. Does that mean we are trying to change him? And how does that feel to him?

creditcards

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 10:54 am
Chayalle wrote:
As someone with a brother on the autism spectrum, I really appreciated reading that.

(BTW - my mother a"h used to say she sensed something different from day 1 - he was her 10th child, and he was different. I think she would've liked this article, too.)

I agree, my 3 year old autistic daughter was different from the first day.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 12:01 pm
Great article. My autistic child showed no signs of being different as a baby except for the fact that he was my only screamer. Still, I never looked for a "trigger" for his autism since there was no regression or sudden onset - he just didn't meet many of his milestones on time and was diagnosed just before he turned 3. Looking for a cause never even came up in conversation between me and DH. DS is perfect the way he is - in many ways, he's a lot more "perfect" than typical kids. And as far as cuteness goes, he definitely takes the cake. Smile

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 12:16 pm
daisy2 wrote:
I agree, my 3 year old autistic daughter was different from the first day.

So was my son. Well, the second or third day was when I began to notice something was off. He was born by C-section and the first day or two I thought it was just the anesthetic from the surgery wearing off....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)