Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Insurance advice?

anonymous12

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 1:27 pm
hi,

looking for advice because I don't know who to ask. my husband has insurance under his parents however I am not covered. we make about 35k a year (BEFORE tax). besides for the obvious expenses such as rent, food, etc. we also pay for my husband to go to school. at the end of the month bH we are fine, but not with a lot left over. I am looking to get insurance now before we try for a baby iyH. I don't qualify for medicaid, and all the insurance policies under $200 that I find are absolutely terrible and don't cover anything (known as "catastrophic" plans). anyone know about insurance, who to speak to, how to get something at a better rate, etc? we live in ny.

thank you!

kollel wife

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 1:38 pm
Obamacare - how much would that cost you monthly? Also, mother and unborn child puts the mother & child into a different financial bracket often making them eligible for medicaid - have you looked at the numbers?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 1:43 pm
Have you run your income through the government insurance site for your state. With your income, you would qualify for some kind of credit.

You would need to act quickly since enrollment ends on January 31

Without insurance you are liable for the penalty fr this year and also for last year when it seems you didn't have.

Depending on your state, income levels for Medicaid are lower for pregnant women.

Unelected advice, but wouldn't it make more sense to wait for your husband to graduate to have a child since you are now the sole earner in the family and your life will be very difficult if you were taking care if the child and working. You must still be young if husband can still be covered under parents plan.

Is there no insurance at all through your job? Employer insurance is a huge benefit.

anonymous12

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:06 pm
thanks..I went through the market place site and the best I was offered under $300 is "catastrophic" plans. my husband is a few years younger than me so he's still eligible under his parents. we don't qualify for medicaid..

last year I didn't have and paying the penalty was WAY cheaper since BH I didn't need the dr.

the whole thing is I want to be covered BEFORE getting pregnant..is that not the best way to go?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:12 pm
I don't understand your economics because your income for two people is pretty low and should qualify for good subsidies.

My understand is that the silver plan for lower income people actually has lower co-pays etc than might appear because there are increased amounts payable as a subsidy. I hadn't realzed that myself so it might work for you so it is worth checking. Fir some reason, the government built this into the silver plans as an incentive for lower income people. I don't understand how it works because I read the article awhile ago but worth checking.

I would suggest you contact a good broker in your state right away to run the numbers.

The penalty this year s higher and of course kinehira, you would be covered fr an emergency

My best advice is to immediately contact a good broker and have that person run all figures fr you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics