Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Could it be an autistic/sensory issue?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:06 pm
my 5 month old baby always wants to hold on to/touch my hands, or even my face when she gets a chance. if I give her a paci her hands shoot out to grab mine, and not let me go. its sweet, but seems strange to me. she would hold on forever if I didnt gently disentangle myself. when she is supposed to be going to sleep, she does it much more smoothly if I let her hold my hand, and if she is crying, giving her my hand to hold can often calm her down. also, she doesnt always hold it tight, sometimes she slowly, gently methodically taps it or strokes it. (the only reason I think of autism at all is that I once cared for a young woman with autism for a summer, who tapped on my hand the same way).

it this just plain normal, or something to look into?

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:31 pm
At 5 months, I wouldn't worry much. Attachment is actually a really good thing. Talk to your pediatrician, though, since his/her word is going to mean more.

Berry

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 3:19 pm
As someone else suggested: Discuss this with your Doctor, so that you can get it checked: Even if it is only to put your mind at ease.

You may be able to get a list of developmental stages for babies from your Doctor as well. This list shows things that should occur normally, and things to watch out for: For example if the baby is taking a longer than usual period to walk or roll.

At five mos. this is actually the age where babies start to grab onto things: A good exercise to play right now is the "clap" game. This helps to fine tune these reflexes and helps with development.

Opening, closing and clapping your hands will help teach the little one to do the same. This is the age where so much is mimicked! Even our facial expressions: It's fascinating!

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Jun 30 2012, 3:35 pm
All my kids did that. It's perfectly normal.

Raizle

Post Sat, Jun 30 2012, 8:27 pm
totally normal and age appropriate
relax and enjoy

creditcards

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 11:18 am
its a good sign if the kid wants human interaction or touch. My daughter is autistic and never seemed to need any humans around her. perfectly happy to be left alone doing her own thing. as a baby she would watch her mobile for hours. I used to think she is the easiest baby ever existed.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 12:11 pm
First thing: DON'T WORRY!!! Everything will be OK.

It doesn't sound like a problem to me.

But; follow your gut. It took 3 and a half years of me taking my son to various doctors and other experts before anyone really listened to me. We are still in the diagnosis process. Our child might have ASD or maybe doesn't have enough of the features s to qualify. But he is a beautiful child who has taught us so much.

Bottom line: Don't worry!
But mothers sometimes recognize things that experts don't. So never ignore what you're inner voice is telling you .

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 12:11 pm
I was under the impression that a baby develops normaly until around age 2 before you can notice/diagnose autisum

creditcards

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
I was under the impression that a baby develops normaly until around age 2 before you can notice/diagnose autisum

sometimes they do. and sometimes you realize by 2 years old that something is off. I never thought anything was wrong with mine until I realized all kids her age are have conversations already and she wasn't talking yet. and then I realized all symtoms she had as a baby that I didn't think of then. like she never smiled back to me...I remember trying to make her smile for a picture and she would refuse to smile no matter how many funny sounds I made...

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 1:32 pm
OP's baby would now be 4 years old.

Hi Daisy2 - welcome to imamother. Please check the dates before you pull up old threads.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 6:19 pm
Haha... Didn't check the date. So nu, OP are you there? There must be some reason why this thread got bumped? How's it all going?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)