Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
IS/O A Speedy recipe for a yummy B-Day cake

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:01 pm
My DS is having his Bday today...I will be having guests for Shabbos and would like to serve a special cake for dessert in honor of his B-Day...I dont have lots of time to potchke...any great ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:17 pm
If you like chocolate this is the easiest cake I know how to make. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....cake/

scrltfr

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:40 pm
The back if the hershey cocoa box has my go to recipe and frosting just substitute parve for dairy items.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 2:41 pm
1 ½ c flour
⅓ c cocoa
1 t baking soda
1 c sugar

1 c cold coffee
½ c oil
2 t vanilla

2 T vinegar

Mix dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls.
Combine, when smooth add vinegar. Stir till just evenly distributed.
Pour into pan and bake until toothpick comes clean. 350° 30- 45 min.
Cool in pan.

Makes one round cake, 2 small cakes or 12 cupcakes.
Doubled makes 1 double layer round cake or 1 9x13 cake

etky

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 3:05 pm
Iymnok wrote:
1 ½ c flour
⅓ c cocoa
1 t baking soda
1 c sugar

1 c cold coffee
½ c oil
2 t vanilla

2 T vinegar

Mix dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls.
Combine, when smooth add vinegar. Stir till just evenly distributed.
Pour into pan and bake until toothpick comes clean. 350° 30- 45 min.
Cool in pan.

Makes one round cake, 2 small cakes or 12 cupcakes.
Doubled makes 1 double layer round cake or 1 9x13 cake

I make this all the time when I need something quick or last minute. It's called Wacky Cake - was big in the Seventies. You can use plain water instead of the coffee though the coffee enhances the cocoa.
It really is the easiest, quickest cake around, especially when you bake it as cupcakes.
I put a few chocolate chips on the hot cupcakes when they come out of the oven and then spread them when they melt for a quick icing.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 3:20 pm
I just make my favorite white fluffy cake (like a sponge cake) in a round pan. Slice into layers. (or bake in 3 round disposable pans). Spread whipped cream on each layer, and strawberry pie filling (bought) or alternatively, fresh strawberries, on the cream. Stack. Arrange fresh strawberry slices in a pretty pattern on the top of the cake.

aqua1

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 3:52 pm
Duncan Hines. You can add sprinkles to the batter to make it more birthday-ish

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 3:56 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I just make my favorite white fluffy cake (like a sponge cake) in a round pan. Slice into layers. (or bake in 3 round disposable pans). Spread whipped cream on each layer, and strawberry pie filling (bought) or alternatively, fresh strawberries, on the cream. Stack. Arrange fresh strawberry slices in a pretty pattern on the top of the cake.

recipe pls

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:07 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Didnt think of that...I can do that...I like to add instant vanilla pudding and sometimes even vanilla custard to the whip to add flavor ....thanks

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:08 pm
I'm in the mood of making one of each of these ideas! Wish I had enough time! Thank you ...you can keep the ideas coming...

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 22 2016, 1:11 pm
ditto to Hershele's recipe ... in place of milk, I use 1/2 cup pareve coffee rich + 1/2 cup water

you can bake them in pretty cupcake wrappers & dollop with the frosting recipe that is also on the cocoa package [I replace butter with crisco & use rish's as well]

alternatively skip the cocoa in the frosting & add food colouring according to his liking ~ FUN !!!

etky

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 12:53 pm
I like the Hershey's cake very much too.
I just find that when I'm really in a rush the Wacky cake takes less time to get into the pan. Maybe because I don't make it in the mixer whereas the Hershey's cake I do.
I use OJ instead of the coffee in the Hershey's cake. I love the very subtle orange-y tang that it adds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins