Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Where should we make the bris?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 4:46 pm
Just trying to think ahead since we know it's a boy. Unfortunately, we don't really have any ties to our current community. I'm not sure that we should make the bris here. It would be convenient for us but not for anyone else who would be coming. It would be in a random shul we have no connection to. So I thought maybe we should make it in my parents' shul. It would be convenient for my parents, but not for anyone else (though no less convenient than our community would be) and it would mean we'd have to spend the night before at my parents', which is already hard and something we do very rarely, and now there's going to be an additional person. But it's only 1 night and at least we have a connection to the place. I'm really leaning towards that, but Dh is hesitant, though he admits he can't think of a good reason to do it in our community. I'm also sad in general that our community is not working for us to the point that we are removed enough to have the simcha where I grew up. We're not newlyweds having our first baby, it seems so nebby at this stage in our lives... Anyway, where would you have it if it were you?

Delores

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 5:53 pm
You say it is more convenient for you to have it near home. This to ME would be the ultimate deciding factor. However I should add that I would not be insulted or upset if people wouldn't show up because it was too hard for them to travel (aside for immediate family).
Have you considered that if you make a bris in your community it may help you feel closer to neighbors and other community members?

Leahh

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 9:41 pm
I would definitely make the bris where it is easiest for you, as the new mom you are the priority.
If youre not comfortable making the bris in your shul, how about a Simcha hall? Here in NY that is very common. There are smaller halls specifically for small affairs such as a bris.

loveandpeace

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 9:50 pm
Make it in your community. You'll be a week after your baby and you'll need your bed.

Bruria

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:19 am
If your house has enough space,I would say make it at home.Comfortable and you don't have to go anywhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics