Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children climbing & taking snacks meant for school/incentive

miami85

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:06 pm
I know it's not ideal to use edibles as rewards, but I have found it a motivator. I feel that I have a pretty decent balance of snacks and food--probably by some people's standards I'm pretty liberal feeling that if it's not allowed it becomes more enticing. If a child wants a lollipop, I will usually try to think of an easy way for the kid to earn it b/c I feel its not worth a tantrum, but it should be considered a special treat. However, I try to limit it to school, Shabbos, and incentives when my kids something special--or working on a bigger goal like toilet training. Now they are starting to climb to get them from the cabinet. What's a healthy response? Its also disturbing b/c they really aren't eating well and one of my more stubborn kids will say EVERYTHING is yucky until he gets what he wants--or he takes it. Any suggestions?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:11 pm
Move where you keep them to an unknown place?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:12 pm
put a lock on the cabinet and start being a little less giving of nosh. they're learning that nosh will be made somewhat available upon request. reset the rules. nosh is for after supper. no supper, no nosh. you can earn nosh, but if you don't eat supper, the nosh will be set aside for you for after breakfast the next day.

smss

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:15 pm
Well, high fructose corn syrup and white flour and sugar are addictive.
And eating junk food and candy on a regular basis makes vegetables taste disgusting to your taste buds.

I think your kids are pretty normal.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:38 pm
Lock it. Don't just move it as they will find it again. I know a family where the mom moved them and the kids figured out easilyhow to reach the new/tougher spot.
Have a sit down and explain the rules- if they are caught sneaking any snacks, they will not get any (even at school/shabbos ) for a week.
I second the "no treats until you eat dinner and it will be saved unless you eat X number of healthy items".
Stubborn kids are tough to reason with. Don't fight with them- ignore the tantrums. Make them realize it's futile. Repeat a mantra over and over "no treat until...".
Also, maybe make it something they have to earn. Not giving it at all makes it desirable and it can backfire on you if you try to totally abstain. I know kids who were not allowed something at home and got it at a party/friends house over ate it. Crazy amounts. So moderation is key- special times call for special treats. But you must earn it and have dinner.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 12:22 am
Just get rid of it. As you yourself say, food is not a good reward. And you're seeing the effect in their regular eating habits. It may be rough but find another reward system and get rid of the snack drawer.

In my case I have some dollar store toys stashed around the house, used sticker charts with toys/arts and craft materials as rewards, and special school snacks are when I send cantaloupe instead of carrot sticks. I grew up with a very messed up idea of junk food as something to be coveted and as a result became an obese adult, something I've worked hard to change. I don't want the same happening with my kids. I don't deny them snacks/junk when someone else gives it to them, but I also don't deny/hide it from them at home since we just don't keep any here.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 12:36 am
How old and how reasonable are your kids?
My kids know that nosh is finite and if it gets eaten sooner then it will not be replaced sooner, for example I will sometimes give them the choice once they have earned or received a treat that they can either finish it now or save some for a different time, and they often choose to stretch it out. So if they tried this kind of shenanigan, I would tell them that it is going in the garbage and not coming back. That should teach them that next time they had better wait to be given if they want to have it at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics