Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How much should my one year old be playing with toys?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 5:40 pm
DS is 14 months old. He is smiling happy boy bli ayin hara. Gets into evertything. His new favorite is the silverware drawer and the pots and pans. Loves to dump out toys. The PT he sees 1x a week who has made fantastic progress with him thinks he needs to play more with the toys instead of dumping them, and should get OT. Is that normal? I thought at this age that the thrill was in destroying things.

Thanks for the help.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 5:53 pm
I wouldn't worry about the real toys versus silverware, I think all toddlers prefer real world stuff to all the toys we lavish them with Smile That said, the dumping thing is concerning. One of my kids also was very into dumping stuff- not just out of drawers, but he would, say, fill up a toy truck or bucket with things and dump it out- and it DID signal OT problems. His fine motor skills and motor planning were weak and dumping was a very physically easy activity. Also, his play skills were not up to snuff, as he wasn't figuring out other ways to play. He still gets OT in kindergarten. He's made a lot of improvements, but it did turn out to signal some underlying stuff. These things are very subtle and many moms don't notice them. If the therapist is bringing it up, look into it.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 7:55 pm
My dd also got OT for dumping and throwing toys instead of playing with them at 15 months old. And I agree with the previous poster that most kids prefer real stuff over toys.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 10:27 pm
New amother here. 3.5 year old dd loves to dump her box of toys (let's say the kitchen toy box, or the box of barbies, lego) all over the door before playing with it. Something she has always done. Is this concerning?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 7:05 am
I don't think that's concerning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics