Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cincinnati
Previous  1  2

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 7:24 am
there is kosher meat at Krogers and Biggs/Remke. Costco has chicken cutlets.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 7:25 am
Rabbi Teitelbaum that HY mentioned earlier, is part of the kollel as well. Feel free to contact him about that program but I'm pretty sure it's not around anymore.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 7:48 am
Happens to be my husband contacted R' Spetner and is still not sure if they have any openings. We have also looked into Cincinatti.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 8:06 am
How many frum families live in the Kollel apartments? Can people rent there even if they are not in the kollel? How much is the rent?
What is the address/location of those apartments? (I would like to see on Google maps.)

Thanks so much for all your help!

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 9:03 am
I don't know if other people live in the kollel apartments but there are other apartments as well if that's what you are trying to figure out. They are opposite? the kollel apartments. Mrs. Ziv owns them. The apartments are two bedroom one bathroom but some are double apartments which means she broke down a wall and you have four bedrooms, two bathrooms....
I think they are full now but may be some people will end up buying next year and then an apartment will open up.

lookup 6530 elbrook avenue for regular apartments.

I think 6519 elbrook avenue is the kollel apartments.

They are both very close to the school and kollel.

It was only last year that I was the one with all the questions about Cincinnati Wink- glad to help!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 9:07 am
Thank you!! Can you give me an idea of the rental prices for those apartments? (Both the double apartments and the single).

Also, can you give me an estimate of how many frum families there are living in the apartments? I'm trying to figure out if it's like an Eretz Yisroel matzav with lots of young families and kids running back and forth to the neighbors. Is it all frum people, or do nonJews live in the apartment buildings as well?

As far as housing rental options, are there options nearby? Do you know general prices for a 3 bedroom house rental?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 9:10 am
Another question: are the apartments furnished or unfurnished?

Also, several people mentioned no sidewalks, but on the google street view of the apartment buildings, there were sidewalks. Is that an exception?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 9:23 am
so there are sidewalks on one side of elbrook by the schools- where one set of apartment buildings are, one side of bluegress (small houses) and one side of meadowridge. Besides for that there aren't any sidewalks. A lot of frum people live in the above mentioned areas but a lot don't. I think I was the only one who mentioned no sidewalks Wink because it's something I don't like about living here.

I don't think the apartments are furnished.

I believe that there are only frum people in the apartments mentioned. The apartment buildings are not very big. I don't live there so I don't really know the dynamics but I would imagine that the families are very "close".

in terms of houses for rent, there are some but I believe they are currently full but that doesn't mean they won't be available for next year, some people only come here for a short period of time. I heard that people are asking 18,000-2000 but not sure how big those houses are. When we were looking there was a shortage of both rentals and houses for sale.

I would strongly recommend speaking to Rabbi Teitelbaum- he would probably have a better grasp about these things since he's involved in helping move to Cincinnati, and or a real estate agent.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
So what is the torah l'netzach program? I think that is the program I was referring to earlier. I heard that they offer financial incentives to people moving to the community who will learn part time and study/work part time (I had specifically heard the benefits were housing, tuition and a kollel stipend).

Also, do they have a kosher butcher where you can buy fresh meat?

Oh!
The Torah L'netzach program was from a few years ago, but does not exist any longer. I don't think it was free housing per se, but that's irrelevant.
Fresh meat is available, but it's imported from Meal Mart, Shor Habor, etc AFAIK. No longer any real local butcher like we used to have, but still fresh meat in most common cuts. And the butcher in the back of the grocery stores with kosher deli departments can accommodate requests if you shop when they are around.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
Happens to be my husband contacted R' Spetner and is still not sure if they have any openings. We have also looked into Cincinatti.

It depends on whether the current avreichim find other things Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
How many frum families live in the Kollel apartments? Can people rent there even if they are not in the kollel? How much is the rent?
What is the address/location of those apartments? (I would like to see on Google maps.)

Thanks so much for all your help!

The kollel owns 3 apartment buildings with 2 double apartments each. These are reserved for kollel families. Sometimes a kollel family will leave the kollel and stay in town and pay rent until they find a house. Very infrequently, there will be a vacant apartment available for another young family, but it can't be relied on and they can ask you to move if they need it for a kollel family coming in.
There is another building right next door with single apartments that houses anyone who wishes (not owned by the kollel), frum or not Jewish, there is no differentiation.
And as Mint said, there are apartments directly across the street with some single and some double apartments, though if there are openings is anyone's guess Wink

The reason these apartments have sidewalks in front of them is because they are located in Golf Manor, which has sidewalks. It's Amberley who is trying to preserve a rural feel by hardly having any.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
Thank you!! Can you give me an idea of the rental prices for those apartments? (Both the double apartments and the single).

Also, can you give me an estimate of how many frum families there are living in the apartments? I'm trying to figure out if it's like an Eretz Yisroel matzav with lots of young families and kids running back and forth to the neighbors. Is it all frum people, or do nonJews live in the apartment buildings as well?

As far as housing rental options, are there options nearby? Do you know general prices for a 3 bedroom house rental?

Kollel apartments; 2 families in each building.
Ones across the street: 2 single apartments, one double.

Not like E"Y because the numbers aren't there, but definitely there is a lot of sharing and borrowing and friend playing.

There are houses available from time to time. One I believe is opening up this summer (I think the current renters are making aliyah). Rental prices aren't cheap, but I heard more like 1500-1700 for a house.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:17 am
Thanks again mint and HY!

Can you tell me about the young community? In what ways are the women (20s, early 30s) connected? Is there a nshei? Do people go to shul Shabbos day? Is it the type that you have to make a real effort to have what to do with people and you could easily just live your own life without seeing anyone, or do you bump into people all the time and are involved in community things?

Would you say that most young women work part-time? Or full-time? or a mix?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:24 am
There are nshei events from the more RW shul from time to time. The MO shul has other types of events, usually not just for women.
There are also shiurim.
Going to shul shabbos day is done by a portion of women, more in better weather Wink There is babysitting service available, but many in this age group either just come for kiddush, or sit with their kids in the playroom.

I am very involved in the community in little, tiny ways. You will not see my name being honored at a dinner or on a shul newsletter...you are integral if you move in. We need every single person. I guess you can stay at home and not see everyone if you really want to, but most of us need some sort of social interaction, and the opportunities are there. Since I moved in a year and a half ago, I became a moderator of the discussion group, revamped our community website, opened a lending library, took on local organizations websites, and became treasurer of the mikveh. Depending on your talents, you will find what to contribute.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:25 am
I would guess most people work part time. Preschool goes till 2:30 unless you get after care till 4, which is still not full time.
I personally work 6 hours during the day when my kids are in school and freelance at night to make it full time work, but my job is flexible like that.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:47 am
I find it amusing that SAHM wasn't even an option Wink Wave ( my kids are playing nicely now) but seriously there probably aren't so many SAHMs.

I agree with HY about getting involved. While of course you have the choice of being anti-social Wink but people really reach out to you here. The Rav of the RW shul (don't know about the other one) had us for a shabbos meal, arranged a meeting with us after we were here for a while just to check in... the kollel called my husband to see if he wanted to come learn...the RW (and I think the MO but again don't know) have a kiddush every week. Rabbi Weinrib said he feels that it's important that there be a hot kiddush weekly for the community to get a chance to socialize. We've been invited out for shabbos meals... just this week (winter break) someone e-mailed me and said I'm taking my kids to x,y,z places on these dates at these times would love if you would join.

I do think that if you would prefer to be left alone people will pick up on it and leave you alone. I don't feel like people are "in my business" and I have no breathing space if you know what I mean. I also chose to live someplace where I physically have more privacy and aren't in a more bongelow colony area so that makes a difference.

ok kiddies want attention. good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating