Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Denver - please tell me about life there

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 8:56 pm
We are looking to move to save money. We are "right wing modern orthodox". We are looking for a community that is friendly warm "RWMO" or a nice mix of accepting people. We have a toddler boy so want need a good school that goes through high school as we don't want to send him away for school.

We are able to spend up to $1million on a house - what can we get for that or what is the average price of a 4bed 4bath house?

Tell me about the community, neighborhood, cost of living, anything you want to share!

TIA!!!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:32 pm
Is there a boys high school in Denver?

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 2:02 am
amother wrote:
We are looking to move to save money. We are "right wing modern orthodox". We are looking for a community that is friendly warm "RWMO" or a nice mix of accepting people. We have a toddler boy so want need a good school that goes through high school as we don't want to send him away for school.

We are able to spend up to $1million on a house - what can we get for that or what is the average price of a 4bed 4bath house?

Tell me about the community, neighborhood, cost of living, anything you want to share!

TIA!!!

I have never been to Denver, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult to find a nice place to live if you have $1M to spend on a home.

http://www.trulia.com/home_pri....._map/

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 10:51 am
Bump... Anyone know if there is a boys high school in the Denver community? Question

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:46 am
I found this site in preparation for an upcoming trip. Lots of info about schools, etc.

http://www.thejewishdenver.com/

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:07 pm
Thank you for the link!

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 2:08 pm
I don't live there, but I believe there is a boy's yeshiva high school there called Toras Chaim.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:30 pm
There are lots of communities you can live in with Orthodox high schools if you can afford to spend $1M for a house. Even in the New York area. There are houses in Teaneck and North Woodmere that are well under $1M.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:08 pm
We are looking for a friendly, accepting, community - my husband is more yeshivish and I am more modern orthodox. We need to relocate to somewhere where we can save money. We can spend up to $1M on a house but prefer to spend less. We need a good primary and high school for my DS (he's only 2 now). There are so many communities across the USA, I feel overwhelmed ... Where to begin Confused

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
We are looking for a friendly, accepting, community - my husband is more yeshivish and I am more modern orthodox. We need to relocate to somewhere where we can save money. We can spend up to $1M on a house but prefer to spend less. We need a good primary and high school for my DS (he's only 2 now). There are so many communities across the USA, I feel overwhelmed ... Where to begin Confused

Why did Denver of all places attract you? Is school your only deciding factor? Your jobs can go anywhere? Do you care about climate? Community affluence? Distance to family/relatives?
When you are looking to save, a million is quite a lot for a house. You can move to Cleveland, Southbend, Scranton ( just 3 cheap places off the top of my head) and save alot monthly because your house will be 1/10th of the price...

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:20 pm
From the little you've told us I would recommend Baltimore. Plenty of affordable housing there, very open and accepting community running across the spectrum, great high school options for boys, and likely much closer to your family.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 12:27 am
Hi. This is OP. Thank you for all your replies! I'll tell you more to help narrow the search...

We live in Los Angeles. I have lived in NY and Israel also so I would want a well established community with schools, kosher market (s)restaurants. We want a nice, clean, safe neighborhood in the suburbs close enough to a city with culture and activity and the beautiful outdoors as well. My husband needs a location with lots of wealth for his type of business. Not meaning in the immediate neighborhood but within a (long) drivable distance. We can spend up to $1M on a house but prefer to spend less. We want aprox 3500 sqft and no less than 4 bed 4 bath. So far we looked at Dallas (HOT) and Denver (COLD) - we live in LA so I'm not sure which is worse: running the AC non-stop for a crazy amount of money or dealing with snow... Truthfully, I wouldn't even know how to manage a house and car in the snow but I guess I could learn. I consider myself Modern Orthodox, my husband is Yeshivish. I consider my self a "live and let live" personality so I welcome diversity - I want a friendly accepting community. I want my son to have a balanced secular/religious education - he will probably go on to college. We are moving because LA is too expensive!

bitzenkiv

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:51 am
Hi,

I lived in Denver. Loved it. My brother and sister in law live there now and if you're interested in what's going on currently, I can put you in touch with them. They have a great school for boys and a great school for girls!
If you lived in NY, you might be familiar with surrounding areas. I currently live in Elizabeth, NJ. We have incredible schools and shuls, affordable living, easy train ride to NY and a nice balance of Yeshivish to Modern Orthodox. Feel free to contact me for more information.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:19 am
Thanks for the additional info. It depends on how established a community you want. There's no comparison between Baltimore and Dallas, but Baltimore these days wouldn't be called the safest of Jewish neighborhoods. I would also strongly recommend looking into Passaic/Clifton, where you could get a house well within your budget, the community is very open and accepting, and you'd be just across the Lincoln Tunnel from Manhattan and all it has to offer in terms of wealth for DH and culture for you and the kids.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 11:20 am
OP here...
Thank you for the suggestions- I will look into these. We defiantly want a safe environment or one without high crime.

When I say I want an established community, I don't need a Brooklyn or LA but I do need a place with a bit of choice for market and restaurant, a good school (thru high school - I don't want to send my son away), a nice friendly shul with programming for kids. I just don't think I would be happy with a very small or "start up" community... I would feel to isolated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating