Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nursing baby not making dirty diapers

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:43 pm
My exclusively breast fed baby has not made a dirty diaper in 11 days. The nurse at Tipat Chalav said this can be expected with nursing, and not to worry...but my mil calls me each day to "check up" on him and is pressuring me to use a suppository. Isn't that strong for babies? My baby is only 2 months.

I've already tried probiotics, a thermometer with petroleum jelly, leg lifts/bicycling, and massaging his stomach.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:50 pm
if the nurse told you it's typical, don't go nuts over it. breastfed babies do take long stretches between poops sometimes. as long as the overall number of diapers is good and the baby is happy, you can relax. people do use suppositories for babies if there is a diagnosed constipation issue. don't do it without the doctor's approval, there's just no reason to.

let's address the mil issue. why does she know how often your baby poops? if it is because you expressed concern over it, tell her the baby pooped and she'll leave you alone. and next time she asks if the baby is pooping ok, tell her that everything's fine.

is there a constipation issue on your husband's side of the family? if so, this may be why she's focusing on it so much. find out if this is the case, and if it is, keep the issue in mind to discuss with the doctor. if you find the baby being more cranky than expected, you may need to focus on constipation.

in general, don't tell your mil anything you don't want her focusing on if she calls daily. pick a few things a day to tell her and leave the other stuff out.

Chocomama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:56 pm
totally normal. my babies had dirty diapers every 2-3 weeks when breastfed.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:07 pm
I'm the op- Yes, there is a constipation issue in my husband's family. Mil only knows about my baby because we were at her house when he was uncomfortable and crying, and I made the mistake of telling her why. I usually don't share things with her because she way overreacts (everything is "strait to the ER." sigh). My oldest also would go for max. 5 days without making, but it resolved itself and it hasn't been a problem since. It's just that with this baby it's double the time.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:49 pm
What do the dirty diapers look like when he makes them? Are they nice and soft or explosive or are they rock hard? If they are hard, I would suspect constipation. If they are soft, I wouldn't suspect constipation.

Although, just want to throw this out at you. My daughter had similar when she was EBF. She made a dirty diaper once a week (you can search this site and you'd probably find my thread). Doctors and TC all said she was normal yada yada, but she was very gassy and I was worried. Someone suggested that I go off of milk. I did and very quickly saw results, regular dirty diapers and much less gas b"H. (Although, if you go this route, it takes 2-3 weeks to clean your system out of dairy.) As DD got older, we started to suspect a milk allergy. It was recently confirmed at the allergists office. (They don't like to test too young.)

Maybe that's an idea for you.

Liebs

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:57 pm
Is he gaining enough weight? I'm not sure how it's related but the LC told me to keep track of dirty diapers to know if baby getting enough milk from being EBF (I've had low milk supply issues in the past).
If Tipat Chalav tells you not to worry...probably ok because they usually like to get you to worry!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:58 pm
This was my thread, OP. I hope this is helpful.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....rt=20

rockingbells

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:13 pm
Totally normal... DS had bm about twice a month until starting solids. In the beginningwe would be anxious about it but then our Dr reassured us and told us that we shouldn't even keep track of the days if our little one didn't seem uncomfortable. MILs, and people in general, can be annoying. I'd let her know, next time she asks, that you are not worried about it.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:16 pm
I would be concerned by that since my bf babies have dirty diapers waaay more often than that. At what point did the nurse say she would get concerned?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:17 pm
My baby also had this. My doctor said it was normal but my mothers intuition said it was not. My baby just wasnt happy not going so often. I took my baby to a GI who did do certain interventions that BH helped alot.
I would definitely recommend keeping up with the probiotics. It helped alot in the long term...
IMO it was not normal. My defining line would be if your baby is happy and comfortable versus unhappy/gassy/seems to strain.

working hard

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:24 pm
Wow and my EBF babies have 15-20 dirty diapers a day!!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the op- Yes, there is a constipation issue in my husband's family. Mil only knows about my baby because we were at her house when he was uncomfortable and crying, and I made the mistake of telling her why. I usually don't share things with her because she way overreacts (everything is "strait to the ER." sigh). My oldest also would go for max. 5 days without making, but it resolved itself and it hasn't been a problem since. It's just that with this baby it's double the time.

if the baby is uncomfortable and crying from not going, I would certainly consider the suppositories. before that, though, have you considered drinking prune juice?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics