Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Best way to cook burgers?

morahmommy1

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:30 pm
burgers are not part of my usual repertoire and when I have tried in the past, my kids didn't like them (they like them elsewhere though ). I baked them uncovered in oven. Is it better to fry or is there a better way to bake them? last time I made my own mixture. this time I bought pre formed sliders. any suggestions? thanks!

mha3484

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:37 pm
I take a cookie sheet and put a cooling rack on top then the burgers. I broil them until they are done. I like mine more rare dh more well done.

I can give you my recipe for the meat if you want its super simple.

morahmommy1

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:39 pm
what do you mean by a cooling rack? I have one that can't go in the oven as far as I know and yes, I'd love a recipe. thanks!

mha3484

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:54 pm
I use something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....dir=1

It lets the fat drip off. I saw the idea on the food network.

As for recipe this has never failed me: http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

theoneandonly

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 8:43 am
They taste much better fried than baked/broiled.

naomi6

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 9:02 am
Chilli sauce gives it an amazing taste

Pineapple

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 9:05 am
Sautee onions and fresh garlic then Cook on med flame

wazup

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:04 am
I use a grill pan! tastes just as good as a bbq!

greenfire

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:06 am
I grill burgers ... make sure to spice them or they will taste like a dead cow ... sprinkle with some garlic powder, oregano, black pepper & I use a little barbeque sauce & grill sliced onions

do not over cook or they will taste like hockey pucks

do not under cook or they will be bloody

use buns, condiments & see what happens

morahmommy1

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 2:47 pm
thanks so much for all the ideas. still have big question- I know not to overcook but how can I tell when they are ready?

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 2:51 pm
Cast iron pan

Grandmama

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 6:31 pm
I make the best burgers ever, at least in my children's humble opinion.
I buy full fat beef, not lean.
I add half a cup of seltzer, not water,
and two eggs per pound.
I mix thoroughly by hand, adding a quarter cup of bread crumbs, matzo meal or a slice of rye bread.
I add garlic and pepper, not salt.
It's usually salty enough for my taste.
I fry them in hot olive oil, and I am careful not to overcook, 5-7 minutes per side is usually enough.
Resist the urge to flatten them while cooking, that removes the juices that we want to stay in.
I googled all of this advice from several experts, and fine tuned it to meet my tastes.
They are scrumptious. I serve with raw onions, tomatoes, ketchup, we all avoid bread and rolls. Sometimes I serve them over a salad, like a burger salad. With a bit of garlic mayo, Fresh garlic clove squeezed into half a cup of regular mayo. YUMMY.

mrshj

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 6:55 pm
I used to hate making burgers until I found this amazing recipe.
1 lb ground meat. Or chicken.
One small challa roll
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp ketchup.

Soak the challa roll in water and remove crusts. Squeeze all the water out.
Add meat and other ingredients and mix.
Form patties.
Make them bigger than what you actually want since they shrink in size.
Put them in disposable pan and broil on high in the oven for 7 minutes on the top rack as close to the fire as you can get. After 7 minutes flip them over for an additional 5 minutes.
This is for medium. If too thick it will be medium rare. If you like it more well done leave it in for 7 and 7 minutes.
They come out amazing every time. My family loves it. The only way we eat burgers. With ketchup and tomatoes with sour pickles. But this is my go to recipe since they are so juicy and very easy to make.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 10:16 pm
morahmommy1 wrote:
thanks so much for all the ideas. still have big question- I know not to overcook but how can I tell when they are ready?
arrange the burgers on a cookie sheet sized aluminum pan and bake uncovered in oven preheated to 425 for 20 minutes.
(this is for pure seasoned burgers. you will need different baking temp/times for burgers made with egg and breadcrumbs.)

mochacoffee

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 10:26 pm
I found that adding ketchup instead of eggs makes the burgers moister.
Sometimes to mix things up I add (into the burgers) caramelized or sauteed diced onions. Those are always a big hit.
I cook them either on a George Foreman Grill or bake them in the oven. If I bake them in the oven, I add water to the bottom of the pan to make them moist, not hard. Cover and cook around 45 minutes - hour.

JerseyShore

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:27 pm
Grandmama wrote:
I make the best burgers ever, at least in my children's humble opinion.
I buy full fat beef, not lean.
I add half a cup of seltzer, not water,
and two eggs per pound.
I mix thoroughly by hand, adding a quarter cup of bread crumbs, matzo meal or a slice of rye bread.
I add garlic and pepper, not salt.
It's usually salty enough for my taste.
I fry them in hot olive oil, and I am careful not to overcook, 5-7 minutes per side is usually enough.
Resist the urge to flatten them while cooking, that removes the juices that we want to stay in.
I googled all of this advice from several experts, and fine tuned it to meet my tastes.
They are scrumptious. I serve with raw onions, tomatoes, ketchup, we all avoid bread and rolls. Sometimes I serve them over a salad, like a burger salad. With a bit of garlic mayo, Fresh garlic clove squeezed into half a cup of regular mayo. YUMMY.

That is the BEST way!! And just like my mother made also. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics