Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Looking for new dishes

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:47 pm
I hate our milchig dishes. We've been married for 10 years and they're are older than our relationship. My husband bought them when he was single and they're UGLY. Now, I don't tend to care about such things, which is probably why we've had them so long, but now I want a new set. Oh, and our milchig flatware? My husband inherited it when he was living in an apartment with a bunch of guys. Nuff said.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new set of plates and bowls. I don't need the tiny plates. I also have little kids. I've been using plastic for them, but don't like to. Plus,you can't microwave it and it's not good. So, I want it to be pretty inexpensive if and when it breaks. I was thinking about correlle but was afraid of the whole shatter effect..

Any ideas? I'm also looking for it to be cute.

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 10:54 pm
Correlle is great. What's the "shatter effect" you're worried about? I have correlle, and they do break from time to time, but a lot less than other dished.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:46 pm
corelle also takes up less room in a cabinet

http://www.corelle.com/

marshall's has some great flatware for good prices [I think I saw oneida there or equivalent in quality]

etky

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 12:44 am
I love Corelle.
I have an everyday set for fleishigs (Shadow Iris) that also predates my relationship with DH Smile
I've had the set for almost 30 years and nothing has ever shattered though a couple of pieces have broken over the years and been replaced.
They're lightweight (good for kids) , stack easily (in the dishwasher too) and take up much less room in the cabinet as Greenfire said. You can even stick a plate in the oven (up to 350) to keep food warm.
I don't see any downsides to Corelle, unless you don't care for it aesthetically.

babula

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:29 am
If you don't like corelle I've seen cute dishes at Ikea that were well priced.

Teomima

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:37 am
It's not for everyone but I love my Fiestaware. You buy them in single sets so replacing broken dishes is easy. You can choose color combos (I have service for 12, each one being a different color. Love it!). The down side is they're big and heavy, but they're also pretty sturdy. We've had ours almost ten years and have yet to lose a plate.

hamster

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 11:25 am
In honor of "Leap Day" Mikasa.com has a 29% discount today (promo code "leapyear"). They have a wide selection at different price points. If you want something new--go for it and enjoy! Let us know what you get!

lfab

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 1:02 pm
I love our corelle! They have nice patterns, are light weight, and very durable. If you're looking for new cutlery Oneida.com is having a BOGO sale on select 4 serving sets through today with the code BOGO. I just ordered 2 sets (so service for 8) for about $35 after shipping and tax. If you live near an Amazing Savings they also had several nice sets there (but a bit more expensive).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen