Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Locking threads

solo

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:38 am
In the past two days several threads regarding the Lakewood speech were locked. I was only a participant and follower of 1 of those discussions, so when the others were locked I assumed that they had deteriorated to name calling or lashon hora or... The conversation I had joined was just locked. I looked through the last few posts. And didn't see anything awful written. So I wondered, why was the thread called "rechnitz speech brought something ignored..." locked? Would it be an idea for the administrator who locks a thread to leave a post stating why. It might prevent the same offense from reoccurring.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:47 am
I didn't look at that thread, but any time we are discussing a specific person by name, it already borders on loshen hara.

Perhaps the discussion needs to be more generic. What can be done for Lakewood children needing schools. Or something like that.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:50 am
I was also commenting on a different thread that suddenly disappeared last night.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:55 am
The missing thread mystery.

eta My controversial comments get deleted without any notification to me at all. Imagine knowing your wrote something and are certain it got posted, but pitom, it isn't there anymore. Now I can chuckle about it, but it was freaky the first few times. I've tried to learn from my mistakes of course.

Last edited by chani8 on Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:59 am
I was thinking the same thing. I dont always understand that makes a thread get locked

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:33 am
They aren't all getting locked — the top "hot topic" right now is "Rechnitz speech brought something ignored to the surface." The thread I posted on that got locked contained loshen hora/ad hominem attacks. Perhaps the others did also.

By the way, although I am a moderator, I can only edit or lock threads in the hobbies/pets/collections forums. Like if debating the relative merits of dalmatians vs. labrador retrievers devolves into loshen hora about pet owners.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:18 am
I think it would help if moderators who lock/delete threads would take a moment to post why they did that and whether it was because of posts that are still on the site, or posts they've deleted.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:31 am
imasoftov wrote:
I think it would help if moderators who lock/delete threads would take a moment to post why they did that and whether it was because of posts that are still on the site, or posts they've deleted.

I think there is a section for that already. http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=420

November

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:36 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
They aren't all getting locked — the top "hot topic" right now is "Rechnitz speech brought something ignored to the surface." The thread I posted on that .got locked contained loshen hora/ad hominem attacks. Perhaps the others did also.

By the way, although I am a moderator, I can only edit or lock threads in the hobbies/pets/collections forums. Like if debating the relative merits of dalmatians vs. labrador retrievers devolves into loshen hora about pet owners.

But we can say whatever we want about actual dalmations or Labrador retrievers? Wow, that's the thread to follow! Wink

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:37 am
imasoftov wrote:

I find that moderator merelyme generally does so, in a thread called "Threads that were deleted" or something like that, but others aren't always explained. Maybe locked is different than deleted, or maybe other mods don't take the time to explain?

In this case, I thought it was clear that there is 1 poster with a strong personal vendetta against R' Rechnitz who was besmirching him personally and spewing lashon hara. Several of her posts were reported, and I imagine led to the locking.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:45 am
November wrote:
But we can say whatever we want about actual dalmations or Labrador retrievers? Wow, that's the thread to follow! Wink

Maybe you've heard the story about the Chofetz Chaim traveling in a train seated next to some horse traders who didn't recognize him. The traders spent the whole trip discussing the relative merits and flaws of different horses, and the Chofetz Chaim was so happy that he was not exposed to any loshen hora!

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:50 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Maybe you've heard the story about the Chofetz Chaim traveling in a train seated next to some horse traders who didn't recognize him. The traders spent the whole trip discussing the relative merits and flaws of different horses, and the Chofetz Chaim was so happy that he was not exposed to any loshen hora!

Great people talk about ideas.

Average people talk about things.

Small people talk about other people.

solo

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 8:54 am
chani8 wrote:
I think there is a section for that already. http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=420

interesting. I didn't know bout that thread.
I don't think anyone on the thread I mentioned claimed to know mr rechnitz personally, or made any personal claims about him. we were all discussing the content of the speech he made. some people did get personal in a silly vague sort of way, like: well ur so angry or defensive it prove ur wrong, or: rechnitz is just as bad as the rabbis in lakewood. but that is so childish I would think it warrants being ignored, or a reprimand, as one is likely to do with childish behavior in general. if it is one person with a vendetta, why not just delete her posts? I was curious what specifically the moderators were taking offense to. maybe if they'd leave a quick note new threads with the same offensive content wouldn't continue to pop up.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:06 am
they do announce it ... long ago it used to say why it was locked right in the thread - but then so many more threads were getting deleted

we've come a long way mother

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 12:14 pm
November wrote:

Note she's avoiding the hot button issue, I.e. ducks.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 12:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Note she's avoiding the hot button issue, I.e. ducks.

If you say say something defamatory about duckies in the hobbies/crafts/collections forum, you will feel the wrath of my quacker. Exploding anger

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 12:41 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If you say say something defamatory about duckies in the hobbies/crafts/collections forum, you will feel the wrath of my quacker. Exploding anger

I think I better do some serious editing. Ducks are my favorite. Ducks are, to quote Dave Barry about Neil Diamond after purportedly getting death threats for previous comments, god. (Note lower case g, jk!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics