Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to become a midwife through apprenticeship?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:32 pm
Heres the thing: I have a passion to become a midwife. Ive always wanted to since I was really young but I dont have the money for tuition or the time to not be bringing in an income. So an apprenticeship that pays something (even if it pays low wage) would be ideal.
Is such a thing possible? Ive done a lot of googling and it seems like its possible but I cant find any hospital/birth centers/midwives who actually are willing to be a preceptor.
DOes anyone have experience with this and can help me?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:44 am
I'm sorry I can't help with your question but someone else might be able to if you post your location or at least country of residence.

I've also always wanted to be a midwife. My mother and grandmother were both against it when I started discussing it in my early teens saying I'd be on my feet al day, cleaning up vomit etc, neither of which actually bothered me but it put me in the mindset of "this isn't for me."

I ended up training for a completely different profession which is highly competitive and not really compatible with married or family life and have always regretted not training as a midwife. I fear that for me, it would not be possible now at my age and with a young family.

I wish you the best of luck with it, I hope I works out for you!

momomany

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:02 pm
I don't know where you're coming from but I can tell you the little that I know about New York State .the degree to become a midwife is called CNM,certified nurse midwife. Theree something else called a lay midwife but I don't even know if that is legal to practice as a midwife in NY without a degree to become a certified nurse midwife which is a master's level degree. I believe first you need to become a registered nurse, then you need to work in the area of labor and delivery for some time and then you can further study to become a certified nurse midwife / CNM. I don't think there are any shortcuts. would you want to be taken care of at such a sensitive time by someone withouta comprehensive well-rounded education. And of course an RN and CNM education involve "apprenticing", watching professionals and practicing under supervision for many hours
(Typing on phone-pls excise typos and odd grammar)

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 3:11 pm
I have homebirths and I would only hire a CNM. But why not train to become a doula?

momomany

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 3:29 pm
What a wonderful idea, to becone a doula. There is minimal training and you would have the privelige of assisting at births in a noninvasive, non medical way. Doulas can practice non pharmacological pain relief measures, breathing exercises, position changes and massage etc. DONA International (doulas of north america) has a website with all the info you need.

momomany

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 3:30 pm
http://www.dona.org/

cm

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 3:50 pm
Curious, so I Googled it...if you are actually in NY, you do not need to be a nurse to be a certified midwife. You do, however, need a master's degree:

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/m.....c.htm

Rules vary state by state. Google "direct entry" or "lay midwife" and the name of your state.

momomany

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 3:55 pm
Pathways to Midwifery Education

Midwifery education programs leading to the CNM and CM credentials involve graduate education. Most programs require a Bachelors Degree for entry, but some will accept Registered Nurses (RNs) without a Bachelors Degree, providing a bridge program to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) prior to the midwifery portion of the program. Some programs leading to the CNM credential require a BSN prior to entry, but many will accept an individual who has a Bachelors Degree but is not an RN, and will provide an accelerated nursing education prior to the midwifery portion of the program. Programs leading to the CM credential require a Bachelors Degree and specific health and science courses prior to entry.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:18 pm
Thanks ladies for all the info!
I was thinking of becoming a doula but I then I realised that my doulas get called any time of the day or night and have to drop everything and I dont think I'd be ok with that.
Any doulas on here that can gibe thoughts on what that's actually like?

momomany

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:24 pm
Cnms get called 24 hours a day too! Thats the nature of the job. Most of my children were not born during office hours. And I assume the newbie cnm gets the worst hours even if she joins a group practice. Have you thought thru what this field of work entails?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics