Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I fill in center of a bundt cake?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:39 am
I'm posting this anonymously because of details-

I want to make a decorated Har Sinai cake for Shabbos dessert. I was thinking of making a chocolate cake in a bundt pan and then putting something in the middle- maybe cherries folded into whipped cream (it's for a dairy meal). Would that work? Will I have a hard time piping frosting over it? Will it support a small fondant figurine?

Separate question- one of my fondant colors has mostly dried up since I last used it. (I had a baby and got distracted, I'm trying to get back into it.) Is there anyway to revive it, or is half a pound or so of red fondant just going to waste?

Not asking about any halachic issues, I discussed them with a dayan last year when I did cakes for a couple of other parshas. I would appreciate any advice, including if there's anything I should know about baking in a bundt pan (it's my first time).

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:58 am
of course you can fill it ... but the results might be concave since whip cream is light

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:03 pm
Try putting an upside down container to lift the cream.
Bake a big flat cookie to put on top of the cake. Cream on top that can look like clouds.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:59 pm
For the fondant, heat it in 20 second increments in the microwave.
It will get VERY hot so be careful, you may be better off doing it for 20 secs then 10 sec increments depending how hard it is.
Once it is a bit soft knead it very very very well until it is soft and pliable.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 3:26 pm
Thanks all! Smile

So I think I'll see if I can get a cupcake out of the batter in addition to the bundt cake, and then stick it in the top over the cream/cherries.

HonesttoGod, I don't have a microwave. Do you think a water bath on the stove would work?

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 3:40 pm
Why not ditch the Bundt cake and make two round cakes, a larger one with a smaller cake on top? Fill in the sides with some sort if icing so it is sloped rather than tiered. The upper layer will be a sturdier support for an edible Moshe than cream will.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 3:48 pm
DrMom wrote:
Why not ditch the Bundt cake and make two round cakes, a larger one with a smaller cake on top? Fill in the sides with some sort if icing so it is sloped rather than tiered. The upper layer will be a sturdier support for an edible Moshe than cream will.

I just bought a bundt pan today, don't have the right size round pans and am trying to avoid aluminum in baking. Sad

I've got the sweetest tooth in the group who'll be eating it and I think that much frosting might be too sweet, anyway. I wasn't planning on putting a lot of sugar in the whipped cream and was hoping for a relatively thin layer of frosting on the outside.

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 4:43 pm
If you have a pyrex glass bowl then you can use that. I have done so many times to make a har Sinai cake.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 4:59 pm
No pyrex glass bowl. I'm slowly building a supply of baking tools... The sizes I have to work with are 8" pie plate, rectangle of I forget what size (maybe 7"x10" or so), muffin tins, and the bundt pan. The apartment we're renting has a smallish kitchen- I dream of someday having a kitchen with room for all the baking supplies I want!

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:34 pm
you can make har Sinai cupcakes with the muffin tin or use the bundt pan and make a luchos out of an index card/cardboard/ construction paper and attach two toothpicks to the back with tape and stick in the cake to cover the hole

Marion

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:01 am
You'd be better off inverting the bundt pan after the cake is baked and baking some batter in the tube...you can then "glue" it together with frosting. Whipped whatever will not hold the weight of a figurine (and probably not of fondant either).

Marion

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:04 am
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen