Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Dallas community zip codes

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:44 am
Hi. We serioulsly considering moving to Dallas. Can you please help us make a decision and answer a few questions? We will take a pilot trip but your answers will help me focus the trip. TIA!!!

1) RE: HOME...
Can someone give me the zip codes and cross streets for where the Jewish community lives - I want to look at single family home prices online. We are looking for a friendly, down to earth, safe, community and shul that has modern orthodox and yeshivish/charidi. I'm looking for a "family shul" where kids are welcome and there is programming/activities/events for them. We welcome a mix of accepting people but I am more MO and DH is more yeshivish/charidi. What is the neighborhood like and non-Jewish neighbors? Is there any entertainment and shopping near by? And parks walking distance? What are the taxes like? Is it near a large job market? How long a drive to get where the most jobs are? How many months of the year are you running the AC and what the cost look like? I want to factor the cost in. Do most people have pools? Do you think it's a "must have" for dealing with kids in the heat? Is the community near any schools?

2) RE: SCHOOLS...
Can you give me school suggestions (elementary and high school) and information? We have a 2yr old son and we would like to send him to a school that has a balanced education (takes seriously secular and religious studies) and extracurricular activities - he will probably go to college. During the early education years I believe it is SO important to teach the whole child so the school should have art/music/PE etc. Is there busing for the kids to and from school, or what do ppl do for transportation? Is there a community near the school? What is the tuition? Are there scholarships? In general what types of families send their children there?

3) What is greater Dallas like - people, culture, physical environment, and economy? And beautiful outdoors nearby?

4) And please add anything else you think I should know but forgot to ask Wink

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 10:43 am
Bump - can anyone help with any info? I know I asked many questions but if you have any info to share it would be greatly appreciated. TIA!!! LOL

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 1:16 pm
don't have much time to respond, will try to add more later - there are 3 eruvs, one elementary school, one bais yakov HS, and a chafetz chaim boys high school, majority send their boys away fro high school but your kids are young, will likely be a yeshiva high school when he's ready. We have a handful of restaurants, tons of parks, everything is easy to get to but you will need 2 cars. No busing, most people arrange carpool. The school (torah Day school of Dallas) is great, contact Becky Udman for any questions.

75230 is the south eruv, more yeshivahs, most expensive, Ohr Hatorah is the shul

75052 is the north eruv, same area as the school, neighborhood is a bit more disjointed, Ohev Shalom and Toras Chaim and the JLC are the shuls there

The 3rd Eruv is in Plano, it's growing but might be too small for you however it is the cheapest and great if you have little kids, the shul is called DATA of plano, 75075 and 75023 are the zip codes.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:38 pm
This is OP. Thank you for the information. If you have time, I'd really like to hear more about the schools, in particular the boys education and high school. It's important to me that my son get a balanced education (Jewish/Secular) through high school. Gemora is very valuable but I don't want that to be the only study taken seriously by the school as I would like him to go on to college and be exposed to secular learning and take it seriously.

Why do most families send their boys away and where to? I read on a Houstion discussion that the boys are sent to Dallas for high school and stay in dorms so I was surprised when you said the boys in Dallas are sent away. I really don't want to send my son away for school.

Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating