Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Babysittinf friends child

bls

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:09 pm
Am I extremely mean if I ignore the fact that he smells. A 2 1/2 year old. I can't handle pampering him. How mean am I? Exploding anger

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:15 pm
It's not ok to leave a child with a dirty or even very wet diaper. Are you watching him willingly or were you coerced into doing this? Just trying to understand why you are babysitting if you are not ready to change diapers.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:26 pm
How long until his mother comes back? If it's a few minutes, fine. If it will be more than that, not ok. Change him.

bls

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:27 pm
I can't say no! It's just how it works. I personally only like leaving pamper babies by someone I know doesn't have issue. A 2 1/2 year old very big to be in diapers . I literally feel like vomitting

rachel91

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:30 pm
First of all, you CAN and should say no, if you have issues with changing his diaper, and it's completely normal for kids this age to still be in diapers, especially boys.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:49 pm
Sorry, but there is no way to justify leaving a human being stewing in his own dirt for any length of time, even if he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. If you were running a day care center this would be a criminal act.

Marinating in feces is not only disgusting, it can cause serious skin problems because the bile acids in the feces are corrosive to tender skin. As a mom I wouldn't dream of leaving my child with someone who would refuse to change his diaper. You owe it to your friend and her child to be honest and tell her you can't bring yourself to change his diaper. Then she can make the decision whether to leave him with you anyway, making her the bad guy, or to find someone else.

No, ma'am, 2-1/2 is most certainly NOT "very big" to be in diapers. Not for boys in the USA, at any rate. In some countries, children are "trained" earlier, but what that usually means is that the parents are trained to sense when a child needs to evacuate and they put him on the pot in time.

nywife

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:59 pm
Are you a paid babysitter or is this a one time (or occasional) favor for a friend? If it's the former I'd wonder why you would take a job that involves cleaning up all sorts of child related messes. Regardless, please do not leave a child in his own feces. It's inhumane.

Some suggestions- have someone else change his diaper. If that's not an option: buy some disposable masks and gloves. Hold your nose. Like anything else, it will get easier the more you do it.

bls

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:51 pm
I truly agree with all of yous!!! Gloves keeping ur breath and u just do it !!!!!! Was just a moment of frustration until I did that

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:57 pm
bls wrote:
Am I extremely mean if I ignore the fact that he smells. A 2 1/2 year old. I can't handle pampering him. How mean am I? Exploding anger

Personally I think you are thoughtless and immature. Children depend on adults and that includes diaper changing. Do you leave your own child in dirty diapers and wait until someone who is more responsible than you to come around and change him?? Rolling Eyes

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:16 pm
I have the same problem. My neighbor has a 3 year old still in diapers. I literally vomited the one time I had to change her. I told my neighbor that I can't take her child anymore.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:40 pm
That is not "too big" for diapers. Even 3 is not too big. Plenty are still in diapers....I think this is wrong for you to watch a kid and not change a diaper. I once watched a kid who was 6. Mom didn't tell me she wasn't trained (she is developmentally delayed). I still changed her because how could I let a kid sit in her dirty diaper? I wasn't even married. Wasn't experienced at changing diapers either.
Tell the mom. Why can't you say no to babysitting?

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:37 am
zaq wrote:
Sorry, but there is no way to justify leaving a human being stewing in his own dirt for any length of time, even if he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. If you were running a day care center this would be a criminal act.

Marinating in feces is not only disgusting, it can cause serious skin problems because the bile acids in the feces are corrosive to tender skin. As a mom I wouldn't dream of leaving my child with someone who would refuse to change his diaper. You owe it to your friend and her child to be honest and tell her you can't bring yourself to change his diaper. Then she can make the decision whether to leave him with you anyway, making her the bad guy, or to find someone else.

No, ma'am, 2-1/2 is most certainly NOT "very big" to be in diapers. Not for boys in the USA, at any rate. In some countries, children are "trained" earlier, but what that usually means is that the parents are trained to sense when a child needs to evacuate and they put him on the pot in time.

This.

I would leave the kid in the diaper only if I knew the mother was arriving back any minute. I have called my sister when her kid made a dirty diaper by my house to see where she is. One time she was 2 minutes away I prepared everything and my sister changed her when she came in. The other time she was 10 minutes away I did it myself.
Held my breath and just did it.
It is gross but not as bad as a:the smell, b:the thought of it leaking through onto my furniture or floor and c: the poor kid getting a terrible diaper rash.

In the future tell your friend you can't change her so she shouldn't send the kid if he will make (and by 2.5 most kids usually have a "schedule" give or take).

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:41 am
personally I think kids over 2 should be trained ... however, you are his caregiver if only in the moment & it would be neglect to leave him soiled.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 4:14 pm
BTW, OP, it makes no diff how old the kid is. He's a kid in diapers and you're his caregiver, and your opinion as to what is the right age to be trained has zero to do with anything. It's wrong to leave him stewing in filth whether he's 2 or 92.

Miri7

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 5:14 pm
Only agree to watch a child in diapers if you are willing to change them. That's an important part of taking care of them.

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 3:22 pm
I don't understand why this is a question. If you are babysitting a child, then you are responsible for his well-being, and that includes not letting him sit in his own waste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics