Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What would you do?

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 7:51 pm
We have a family simcha this Monday late afternoon. I have 2 options. Option !: I pick up my daughter from school at around noon so that she has time to do her homework, unwind a little bit, then we get ready to go. Option 2: I pick up my daughter from school at the end of the day, and go straight to the simcha from school. Option 2, however, would mean that there would be no time for her to do her homework, but I can always let the teacher know in advance that we have a family simcha and doing homework that night may not be possible. Which option would you choose?

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 7:57 pm
If you need to be there early, pick her up early. If not, let her finish out the day. One day of not doing homework won't throw off her education.

BetsyTacy

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 7:58 pm
Very dependent on the age and temperament of child. Will she be freaked that she will be missing school topics that will be hard to make up?

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:01 pm
Agree with above. How old is she, and which option does she prefer, and why?

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:08 pm
OP here: My daughter is in first grade. I have not asked her yet what she prefers, but she is a pretty laid back kid. I think whatever I choose she would be fine, I'm just trying to decide what would be more practical/easier in the long run. On one hand, giving her time to unwind in the middle of the day before we go sounds nice, especially since we may be home late and she is up for school at 6:30 am. On the other hand, she would miss half a day of school.

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:16 pm
If she is only in 1st grade, go with your instincts. You are right that there are pluses and minuses with each choice, but they are not major ones.

A third option would be to pick her up at 2.

momX4

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 10:34 pm
Pick her up from school at the end of the day. Wrote a note to the teacher that due to a simcha she wasnt able to do her homework. Be prepared to drive her to school late the next day if its a late night.

This works for my family.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 11:06 pm
As a teacher I would prefer a student to be in class and miss homework.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 1:58 am
Id pick up early AND let her skip homework.
It's her special day!
The teacher should make your daughter feel special and give her that break.
Little girls don't go to simchas every day.

Am I the only mom who feels that kids need a break once in a while?
They have a simcha once or twice a year, that makes it a great excuse.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 2:04 am
does she even have homework every day? I know that my daughter didnt have homework every day in kita aleph.
I would let her stay the whole day and just let the teacher know that there was a simcha and she was not able to do the homework. Its better not to miss the learning and forgo the work at home for one day.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 2:05 am
what about option 3: no school we have a simcha tonight ~ yay!!!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 12:28 pm
greenfire wrote:
what about option 3: no school we have a simcha tonight ~ yay!!!

Haha, love this!!! However, tomorrow is my daughter's first d asy back at school after a week off for winter break, So my husband thought it was not a good idea to keep her home from school or pick her up early. He thinks she should have her full day at school, come home, get ready and go. I already emailed the teacher and let her know about the homework and she said no big deal that homework can ak ways be made up. However, I am of course regretting this decision now and wish that I was picking her up at noon so that there would be time for her to unwind before we go. Now, its gunna be a bit of a rush, but oh well, what's done is done. This is what I get for listening to my husband Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics