Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Nutritionist or help for Diabetes

abound

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:42 am
I would like to speak to a nutritionist regarding diabetes. The person is not on meds but needs to watch and be very careful. I would like to have a good plan to prevent the need for drugs. Any ideas, of a good nutritionist or anyone who has personal experience with this.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:45 am
Where are you located?
I think that you're better off speaking to an endocrinologist than a dietician. Each case of diabetes can be different and specific based on the bloodwork,

chani8

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:52 am
My husband went on the Atkins Diet and in 4 years, the doctor cannot believe his test results. My DH stays at Stage 3 Atkins and does not use any synthetic sweeteners and does not eat any fruit.

abound

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:26 am
Thank you. I will look into it. Does your DH take medication for the diabetes?

abound

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:27 am
cnc wrote:
Where are you located?
I think that you're better off speaking to an endocrinologist than a dietician. Each case of diabetes can be different and specific based on the bloodwork,

THank you. Do you know of a good endocrinologist in Israel?

chani8

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:43 am
abound wrote:
Thank you. I will look into it. Does your DH take medication for the diabetes?

He did for the first year until he got good at the diet. It was a major life change to go from eating whatever he wanted, drinking cola every day, and stopping by a bakery whenever he felt like it. So, it takes time to get used to the Atkins diet, and in my experience, it's better to go into it slowly rather than the cold turkey way that most people do.

The first thing my DH did was cut out all sweets. That was so major. There is a doctor online who says that any sweet food elevates blood sugar, even the synthetic ones. So, he cut out all sweets. Nowadays his sweet tooth is satisfied these days with hot cocoa made from only cream and cocoa.

shanih

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 5:19 pm
Hi,

I'm located in Boro park, I've helped several people in different stages of diabetes through a natural Healing method it's called Su Jok Therapy. it's somewhat acupuncture, and reflexology.

Refuah Shleimah

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:15 pm
Please speak/meet/work with a local Registered Dietitian. (Unfortunately I do not know any in Israel-I have not made Aliyah yet). (Also, FYI, Nutritionist is not a licensed term and anyone can call themselves one). Registered Dietitians have specific education in this area. I recommend finding one who is a diabetic educator or has significant experience in the field. Endocrinologists are (not always but ) usually quick to prescribe medicine. They also often have very limited nutrition education (only 25% of med schools have a required nutrition class which lasts 1semester and only 50% of schools have a nutrition elective - ~25% of med schools do not offer anything). I will also say that MDs usually allocate less time for an appointment, not enough to provide sufficient education, even if they are very knowledgeable. From my experience, the good MDs will refer out to either an RD / diabetic educator.

Registered Dietitians know how to read blood work and the statement that each case of diabetes is different depending on the blood work is - I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. Yes different people respond to differently structured diets and some classes of medication work for some people but not others, some need insulin and some do well with Biguanides, some Sulfonylureas, some TZDs ... and some people need combination therapy.... but your standard blood panels will not differentiate. These differences are typically found through experience.

My nutshell nutrition advice:

Avoid sweets - candy/cake/soda/juice...

Small carbohydrate portions (remember fruit is a carb.- a good for you carb, but still a carb)

Protein (egg/fish/chicken/nuts...) with EVERY meal and snack.

It is very doable. My most important advice is do not let perfection get in the way of good enough. Additionally, he has to want it- not you want it for him.

Good luck

dankbar

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:18 pm
Rabbi Hirsch Meisels has a diet plan specifically geared for diabetes. It's like an Atkins type of diet.

Most nutritionists are still old school & require lots of carbs & low-fat which is not good for diabetes.

chayayehudis

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:22 pm
I have diabetes and I use a nutritionist rochi lebovics. She helped me bring down my a1c. She's very good. If you're in Israel she would do FaceTime appointments. She gives you a menu to follow. She figured out my problem right away.

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 7:32 pm
dankbar wrote:

Most nutritionists are still old school & require lots of carbs & low-fat which is not good for diabetes.

Can't speak for "nutritionist " but no Dietitian woth the paper her degree is printed on would promote that.

You are correct that it is bad for diabetics.

Medical nutrition therapy (what Dietitians do) has different dietary recommendations for different diagnosis.

A diabetic diet would be different from somebody who has cardiac complications, different from someone with celiac's, and different from someone on dialysis. When a patient has multiple issues, the diet becomes further altered and differentiated.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics