Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on Shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3  4

ecs

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:24 am
chani8 wrote:
Well, right. And it's supposed to be the opposite, imo. Spend as much as possible for shobbos, and the rest of the week, let them eat cake.

so true!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
Wow I am so impressed with all u mothers we are 2 adults and 2 kids and I really not fancy and make every thing myself besides Challa, that's 8$ and I buy cake on sale about 3.50$$,
How on earth do you only spend 40 $ I'm so confused?? I really don't get it? I spend around 100$

To all of you who are saying $7 for salmon - where do you live?
I pay about $20 for 5 medium slices of salmon in Brooklyn.
This is approximately what I spend each week on shabbs:

Potatoes for Chulent (which we eat friday night and shabbs day) : $4 (bag lasts us through the week as well)
Orange Juice $3
Leben for 2 kids: $2.60
Soup (I make one huge batch every 3 weeks and we defrost it for the other two weeks): $5 including chicken bones
Challah (I also make in batches every 4 weeks or so): approx $5 probably less.
Pickles (1 can every 2-3 weeks) $2

If we have guests I buy 1 dip ($4)
Salmon ($20)
Chicken ($10-15 depending on the size of the pack but I make extra for Sunday night supper)

Dessert I don't make special each week. I will make a batch of chocolate mousse or lemon mousse or cupcakes or cake and it lasts however long in the freezer. Approx cost maybe $5-10 max.

And adding that all up it comes to way less than my previously posted estimate.
But it all depends on the week, our budget, how many guests, who the guests are etc.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 11:56 am
We spend around $200-250/week on groceries for a family of 6. It's closer to $250 with company, $200 without. Shabbat probably costs us around $50-60 when we have guests, sometimes less if I have time to bake challah and dessert or we are having vegetarians. We serve red meat a lot, but I stock up when brisket is on sale.

When looking at people who spend much less, besides for looking at location, remember that family size and diet vary. If you eat a lot of legumes and pasta, your grocery bill will be cheaper than if you eat a lot of red meat.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 12:20 pm
I am in chicago where I would say food prices are average. Not dirt cheap or extremely expensive. We are 2 adults a child and baby who eats a pretty niced sized portion.

Challah I bake so its hard to quanitify. I would say $5.00 tops I use spelt flour.

Some weeks I buy hummos. Almost every week I buy tomato dip ($3.50?) Other dips or salads I make based on what has been in the fridge all week. Its a great way to use up stuff that is on its way out.

Fish- $7-8 for a roll of gefilte or $12ish for a lb and a half of salmon. We dont eat huge amts because there are other courses.

Soup- $5-7. I use bones and veg. I make 3 weeks at a time. The fourth week, I make something veg based.

Main- If I make all eight pcs of chicken $10.00, a ground meat dish, 2lbs is the same about $10.00. If its channukah or rosh chodesh I might make pepper steak or a roast. I try to cook with seasonal veg so they are cheaper. Some weeks I splurge on broccoli or cauliflower. I would say no more than $15 of produce.

Lunch is the same fish and salads from the night before. In the summer I make gazpacho alot. A new green salad if I am in the mood and cholent. The cholent meat is $6.99 per lb so I would say the whole cholent costs between $10-12 dollars.

The total is approx $65.00.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds delish! And right up my alley! What type of apples? And when you say sweet potatoes, do you mean the orange ones? Just had a discussion IRL about which ones were yams vs sweet potato...

Yes, the orange sweet potatoes. Apples: not Red Delicious, because they're anything but delicious, not Rome, because they take too long to bake, and not Macintosh, because they're watery when baked. But anything else is good. My favorite is Cortland, but I rarely see it where I live. Braeburn and Fiji work well; Gala is also okay. If I can get Winesap or Empire, those are super flavorful.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics