Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I am probably the ONLY imamother who has never...
Previous  1  2  3

5mom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 1:17 am
groisamomma wrote:
I was there for one summer over 20 years ago and have no desire to go back. I dream of taking my girls to Florida while dh takes ds to EY.

This made me sad.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 1:40 am
amother wrote:
Can you find out more? I'd love to know more!
She is talking about this, I think: http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/.....83378
http://www.jwrp.org/

Also, for those women who wrote they have no desire to come to Israel, can I ask why? I mean, I remember since the young age of maybe 6 or 8 or something very young, learning about Israel and wanting to come visit. We came as a family twice, then I came for sem, and then I came to live here (been here 13 years).
I dont understand what it is about this place that Jewish people could have no desire to come visit. That makes me very sad to hear.

hila

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 1:56 am
$50 one way ticket.
Make Aliya

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 3:00 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Also, for those women who wrote they have no desire to come to Israel, can I ask why? I mean, I remember since the young age of maybe 6 or 8 or something very young, learning about Israel and wanting to come visit. We came as a family twice, then I came for sem, and then I came to live here (been here 13 years).
I dont understand what it is about this place that Jewish people could have no desire to come visit. That makes me very sad to hear.

I can relate to this. I had no desire to visit israel. The school I attended did not teach us anything about israel other than what is mentioned in tanach. We had no photos of Israel anywhere in the school. We did not learn any Israeli history, did not celebrate Yom haatzmaut. I never thought about going to visit israel. Living in North America with a large family my parents could not afford to travel there....we didn't go anywhere that wasn't by car. Wasn't until I was in university and saw a birthright ad that I thought about going. I never knew anyone who had been to israel. None of my friends families took trips....even nowadays....how can ppl afford to? At almost $1,000/ticket....that would be $8000 for my family without including lodging, food, travel, etc. The thought is so daunting and overwhelming and totally not doable after our $55,000 tuition bill that to be honest....we don't have the desire...

5mom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 3:12 am
amother wrote:
I can relate to this. I had no desire to visit israel. The school I attended did not teach us anything about israel other than what is mentioned in tanach. We had no photos of Israel anywhere in the school. We did not learn any Israeli history, did not celebrate Yom haatzmaut. I never thought about going to visit israel. Living in North America with a large family my parents could not afford to travel there....we didn't go anywhere that wasn't by car. Wasn't until I was in university and saw a birthright ad that I thought about going. I never knew anyone who had been to israel. None of my friends families took trips....even nowadays....how can ppl afford to? At almost $1,000/ticket....that would be $8000 for my family without including lodging, food, travel, etc. The thought is so daunting and overwhelming and totally not doable after our $55,000 tuition bill that to be honest....we don't have the desire...

Not being able to afford the trip is a reason not to come. Not recognizing that Israel is central to our religion is different.

rachel91

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 3:36 am
I've been to Israel about 5 times ( but I do live in Europe, so tickets are cheaper, as cheap as 200 eur/ticket sometimes even less).
Never been with kids though.
Going back there in a week actually, for a wedding, but to be honest, I have no family and nothing, besides a wedding on occasion in Israel, so when planning a family vacation it propably wouldn't be there. It's not that I never want to go back, maybe once with kids, but I've seen it, and there are so many places I haven't, I love to travel and see new places so my first choice for a trip will propably not be Israel.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
My husband and I went to Niagara Falls when it was a few hours from where we lived. An overnight trip. Really nice. We did have a ten month old with us. She was a little sick but pretty easy.

Its not as much the "where to go" we have a huge list it is more the finances (there are none) and the time off work (there is none!).

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 12:29 pm
Never ever went, but I'd really love to go. It's not really so easy to pick up and go at th is point. And I'm afraid of flying, especially overseas (I know it's not a completely rational fear).

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 1:12 pm
I've never been, either. I'd like to go.

Dh was born there and has gone back a number of times since moving to the US as a child, but not since we've been married (for nearly 15 years).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 1:27 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

You have to be not shomer Shabbos to qualify for those trips and also buy your own ticket

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:06 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Its not as much the "where to go" we have a huge list it is more the finances (there are none) and the time off work (there is none!).

I get you. It took years to have that time, and we did it on the cheap. I know, even $100 or whatever it cost us is still money but we did it. Over 15 years ago.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
How does this work? Am I using my debit card? Right now I have enough points to buy a coffee pot. How many years until I get a ticket???

Do you have a link where I can read about it? THANKS!

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. As somebody else mentioned, Dan's Deals is a great place to start, since it's run by a frum guy and caters to a frum readership, who are interested in traveling to E"Y. This has nothing to do with debit cards, and is all about credit cards.

While others talked about charging your daily expenses to credit cards and that's always a good idea (as long as you can pay the monthly bill and avoid interest charges), that's not the key. The key is the sign-up bonuses for opening a new card, which are far more lucrative than anything you'll get on your own from daily charges.

You can get a lot of great info and options here (http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23168), but I'm warning you in advance that it will seem overwhelming! Just go through it a little at a time and digest it slowly, and read more there on the main page and forums, and soon you can post a follow-up telling us about your amazing trip to Yerushalayim!

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 5:35 pm
doctorima wrote:
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. As somebody else mentioned, Dan's Deals is a great place to start, since it's run by a frum guy and caters to a frum readership, who are interested in traveling to E"Y. This has nothing to do with debit cards, and is all about credit cards.

While others talked about charging your daily expenses to credit cards and that's always a good idea (as long as you can pay the monthly bill and avoid interest charges), that's not the key. The key is the sign-up bonuses for opening a new card, which are far more lucrative than anything you'll get on your own from daily charges.

You can get a lot of great info and options here (http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23168), but I'm warning you in advance that it will seem overwhelming! Just go through it a little at a time and digest it slowly, and read more there on the main page and forums, and soon you can post a follow-up telling us about your amazing trip to Yerushalayim!

How good is it for your credit score to keep opening and closing cards?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics