Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Can a 5 yo wear pants costume in Lakewood?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:51 am
I am new to Lakewood from OOT so I don't always know what is acceptable. Can my 5yo dd wear a costume with pants in Lakewood? I am not against it, but want to make sure she doesn't stick out. She is still in kindergarten, not in real school yet if that makes a difference. This is not a halachic question, but rather minhag hamakom.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:54 am
Does she still wear pants? I am assuming not, I wouldnt let a five year old wear a coatume with pants. I dont live in lakewood and I am not yeshivish.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:01 am
My kids have done it and I've seen others around that age wearing pants too. Obviously not everyone will let, it really depends who you're hanging around with.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:01 am
If she doesn't wear pants at school, then she shouldn't at Purim. If her friends see her, it can cause them to make unkind comments to her, and ruin her chag. Remember, kids that age really don't have any kind of "filter", and may have no experience with OOT culture.

I would play it safe and find a skirt the same color as the pants, and do that instead. DD was a Power Ranger one year, and she wore a black skirt over the outfit. It was adorable.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:20 am
If she is in kindergarten (in Lakewood that is before school) then I would - but only baggier pants, nothing tight.
Once she starts school I would not.

I have a daughter at that stage (actually 4 but in kindergarten) I'm not sure what I'm doing yet on purim.
She did wear snow pants outside in the snow with no skirt on top (but so did my 6 year old...but I would not let my 6 year old wear a costume with pants this year, or last, she was already in school)

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:29 am
I've seen Chassidish girls (with mother's who wear Spitzels & Black Tights) wear pants under age 6 on Purim (and one whose father is a Rav where a baggy animal costume with pants at age 8). That being said, it is definitely not "the norm."

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:42 am
if she doesnt wear pants now, she shouldnt on Purim.. perhaps you can put pants on her with a skirt on top

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:21 am
Wow. Things have changed so much since I was a kid. I wore pants occasionally as a kid (though generally for athletic activities), but most in my community did not. Nevertheless, until bas mitzvah, or at least until age nine, many of these non-pants-wearing kids wore pants on Purim, without a skirt over it.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:22 am
And on the other hand, no one got disgustingly drunk in my community on Purim. So, which is the bigger issur, getting really drunk or having a pre-bas-mitzvah girl wear pants?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:33 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
And on the other hand, no one got disgustingly drunk in my community on Purim. So, which is the bigger issur, getting really drunk or having a pre-bas-mitzvah girl wear pants?

One has nothing to do with the other.

loving it!

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:35 pm
I am Lakewood type, yeshivish, if that will affect the way you view my reply. I grew up in Brooklyn and I remember my much more yeshivish friend wearing pants on Purim. She was maybe 6-7. I remember thinking what kind of message are you giving your daughter? Every day it's not ok to wear pants. It's not tzniusdig. On Purim, were allowed to dress not tzniusdig?? It always bothered me

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 3:19 am
As a girl, my mother made me a red skirt with a yellow belt to go over the superman costume she had made for my brother a previous year. It was tasteful and cute.
I made my daughter a lion costume. It was more of a furry dress.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics