Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
South Bend
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:33 pm
The mikveh is an example of where the pashtus of the community can be shocking to outsiders. It is fully functional and halachicly sound, comfortable, and scheduling is easy and convenient. But there are no frills. It's great for me, but some people think it's a problem

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:37 pm
There is a state-run private school scholarship granting organization which covers the rest of the tuition after the Voucher for many families who are eligible. I'm pretty sure the parameters for being eligible are quite broad.
Also, the school has a policy of not turning any Jewish child away regardless of ability to pay, so there are families who are sending their kids for almost nothing.

The Mikva is very small and attached to the shul. People have been trying to get a new, bigger, nicer mikva built for as long as I can remember. Things move slowly around here, lol.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:38 pm
and the mikvah?
I find it surprising because I thought the neighborhood is more on the yesheivish side- is the board not?
how do you get on the board- is it a matter of just giving a lot of money to the shul?
also are people looked "down upon" if they want a large house- I like space for my menuchas hanefesh- that's just me- like if everything is not super pashut is it bad?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:44 pm
also can the schools handle learning differences either above average intelligence or learning disabilities?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:47 pm
just saw the reply about mikvah. what is the hold up with changes, is it a financial issue like if someone would pay for a new mikvah and was willing to make it happen it would or is it more of a nastalgia, why change anything issue?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
The mikveh is an example of where the pashtus of the community can be shocking to outsiders. It is fully functional and halachicly sound, comfortable, and scheduling is easy and convenient. But there are no frills. It's great for me, but some people think it's a problem

I've used that mikvah and it is fine. Having nice mikvah ladies is more important than fancy and it's really wonderful. It's clean and nice.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
and the mikvah?
I find it surprising because I thought the neighborhood is more on the yesheivish side- is the board not?
how do you get on the board- is it a matter of just giving a lot of money to the shul?
also are people looked "down upon" if they want a large house- I like space for my menuchas hanefesh- that's just me- like if everything is not super pashut is it bad?

What on earth does yeshivish have to do with it?

If you visit SB you will see that some homes are quite large, especially by non-SB standards.
But people dress relatively simply and drive simple cars and it's not a contest, even though some people might have very little and some might have a lot.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 5:04 pm
it actually sounds great! I'm a no frills person who is very happy with simple, I am just trying to get a feel.
I realized my post might have been unclear I was talking about the mechitzah when I asked about the board.
thank you SB mothers!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 7:01 pm
How no frills is it?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:07 pm
No frills? The mikveh, you mean?

Hallway entrance way with a closet for towels and other maintenance necessities. Small waiting room that fits a comfy chair, magazine table, and laundry bin. And mikveh in the same room as a shower toilet and sink, all nice looking and clean. The mikveh provides towels, bathrobes and some preparation necessities.

indianamom5

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:22 pm
We like it there LOL

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
No frills? The mikveh, you mean?

Hallway entrance way with a closet for towels and other maintenance necessities. Small waiting room that fits a comfy chair, magazine table, and laundry bin. And mikveh in the same room as a shower toilet and sink, all nice looking and clean. The mikveh provides towels, bathrobes and some preparation necessities.

Ok. This is what I'm used to mostly lol. I actually prefer when the mikve is in the bathroom Smile

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 10:32 am
Anyone in South Bend willing to talk on the phone about what it's like to live there, to a potential new family? If so, please PM me. Thanks and good Shabbos! :-)

shaimac1

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 2:21 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Anyone in South Bend willing to talk on the phone about what it's like to live there, to a potential new family? If so, please PM me. Thanks and good Shabbos! :-)

I messaged you directly but please check out www.cdisouthbend.com or e-mail me directly at michallgoldman@gmail.com to find out more about South Bend's Torah Community!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating