Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Taxes
Previous  1  2

Who does taxes
Me/husband  
 26%  [ 35 ]
Accountant  
 73%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 132

summer0808

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:25 pm
ME I'm the accountant! So I do plenty of them!

Someone above says that an accountant friend reviews for her. When someone asks me to do it I get very annoyed. It takes me almost as long to review as to prepare and I usually dont have the time for it. My time is my money!

I find that a lot of people that are expecting refunds find that it's worth it to pay someone else and just get it done.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 11:50 pm
I get an accountant to do it. I'm due right around tax day so even if I wanted to try a program, not sure I am able to! I want to get it filed soon but a few charities/ tzeddaka did not send receipts yet :-(.

What's a 1099? If I have savings in the bank (regular checkin and savings account) does that get reported? What do I do with that?
Only "independent" (vs being a dependent) a few years so still new at this. I saved tax receipts, w2, school expenses (anyone know if they are deducted this year for grad school? I got a deduction last year but I read online it might not be extended for 2015..), proof of medical insurance... Anything else?

ecs

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 12:27 am
twogees wrote:
Who does taxes in your house? If me/husband, how?

accountant

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 12:31 am
I went back to each customer's sales and figured my sales total without sales tax and shipping. I finalized inventory. I did cost of goods sold. Multiple schedule C's. Figured non recovered sales tax. ups shipping. usps. supply costs. put in hubby's w-2's. And darned if I'm not still waiting for one measly 1099 still. could have filed by now. don't know the exact amount on it so I'm patiently waiting. so proud to have it done in early Feb.

baby12x

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 3:12 am
amother wrote:
I get an accountant to do it. I'm due right around tax day so even if I wanted to try a program, not sure I am able to! I want to get it filed soon but a few charities/ tzeddaka did not send receipts yet :-(.

What's a 1099? If I have savings in the bank (regular checkin and savings account) does that get reported? What do I do with that?
Only "independent" (vs being a dependent) a few years so still new at this. I saved tax receipts, w2, school expenses (anyone know if they are deducted this year for grad school? I got a deduction last year but I read online it might not be extended for 2015..), proof of medical insurance... Anything else?

some people get paid with a 1099 instead of w2. it depends on whether you are a contract or salaried worker or freelance worker. some banks send out as well- it depends on how much money you made in interest. if you go online to your bank account there should be a place where it will tell you what tax forms you will receive from them.

lfab

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 9:53 am
For the first few years we were married I did them using Turbo Tax software. Then one year it kept saying we owed several thousand dollars. I knew that this didn't make any sense since we usually got something back from our taxes and our income hadn't changed from the previous year. In fact I had had another baby so if anything we should have gotten more back not owed money! After weeks of frustration and trying to figure out what I had done wrong I finally told my husband that he needed to help me. He helped by bringing it to an accountant, who we've been using since then. I still don't know what I did wrong but we ended up getting back nearly $3000 dollars so I'm happy we ended up using an accountant. Even though we have a fairly straight-forward return it's worth it for me to have someone who knows what they're doing prepare it. Since it's simple it doesn't cost us that much and it would end up taking me hours to do.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 12:14 pm
baby12x wrote:
some people get paid with a 1099 instead of w2. it depends on whether you are a contract or salaried worker or freelance worker. some banks send out as well- it depends on how much money you made in interest. if you go online to your bank account there should be a place where it will tell you what tax forms you will receive from them.

Can I walk into my bank and ask for it?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 12:24 pm
I used to use an accountant when I was single and had one W2. Then after a few years (of him taking longer and longer to get back to me) I tried an online program and used him anyway. He got the exact same info. The next few years I did it myself. Till I started working as an independent contractor and didn't know about all the deductions. I've been using an accountant since (also my husband had W2s and 1099s from 2 different states). Now we are both employed with W2s so hopefully next year we can do it alone. Last year I paid $300+. Every year it went up slightly but that's the most I've paid.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 9:57 pm
Mr. Ducky, CPA.

Looks like there are quite a few people here who are accountants, are married to an accountant, or have another close relative who is an accountant. Must be a popular Jewish profession!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 6:44 am
we have a close family member that's an accountant so we just give it to her
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics