Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler with asthma

debbie321

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 1:27 pm
I am going nuts and hoping anyone with experience can relate
My toddler has had asthma since he could walk. I have spent countless times on a nebulizer in hot and cold weather,dry weather, wet weather,snow,since everything sets it off. We are at the Dr's office alot recheck ingber his breathing cuz it has turned into walking pneumonia a few times. He has been home all week due to weather casting breathing problems and I have been nebulizer him and giving him incentives and motrin. He also throws up from coughing. Just sent him back to school but morah called me cuz he was coughingber alot and then threw up. I brought him an inhaler then took him home.
His Dr says he will outgrow it. He has been trying different inhalers and medicines for this.
I feel like I am losing my mind! I really needed to day without dealing with him and 5gis (got the ok from Dr that he is fine and to send him to school)but I am so sick of nebulizer him at all hours so he could breathe! Bh it's getting better but it is sI stressful! And I feel like a bad parent that he has this going on!

livinginisrael

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 1:31 pm
my son has wheezing problems too. I find that when he eats right before or right after nebulizer he throws up. I also had asthma as a child and doc told my mom that if she is consistent with the nebulizer I will outgrow it which I mostly did.
when my sons asthma gets bad I stick to the schedule to the t. like 3-5 times a day and no monkey business and usually after 3-5 days its much better. at the times when I just did nebulizer 1 time a day it never helped for long. like I would do it in the morning with him the dont give him food for at least an hour after because if not he throws up. good luck.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 1:45 pm
I am in the same boat with my 2.5 year old. Unfortunately no great solution but I also find that the nebulizer makes her throw up. Sometimes diluting it with more saline and making sure she is content and not fighting it helps. Refuah shlayma.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 1:59 pm
My ds has asthma since he was two ( he is now 6). Have you gone to a pulmonologist (asthma doctor) or only a primary care doctor? I have found that the pulmonologist much more helpful. My ds is on singular, a daily preventive pill which has helped a lot. In addition, when he starts coughing badly I used to automatically make an appointment with the doctor and he was usually put on prednisone(steroids) at this point the doctor trusts me to start the steroid as needed. Also, you can get an alberturol inhaler with a spacer to keep in school with your son instead of having him come home to use the nebulizer. A child needs to be taught how to use an inhaler but it can be just as effective as nebulizer and takes less than a minute. Good luck!

debbie321

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 2:32 pm
I have gone to a pulmonologist,next appt is in 2 weeks. Tried singular but didn't do anything. He has been on the nebulizer for over a week,which is why I'm so frustrated! Usually it has helped! Pulmobologisr also gave us a inhaler that he has been using 2 times a day since September to prevent things....and still got walking pneumonia. I use the albutwrol inhaler too but Dr said with this stick to only nebulizer and when done with this coughing,back to daily medicine. Albutwrol pump is for when coughing g starts. I picked him up from school now and gave it to him..
Today my son actually held the nebulizer mask by himself,he doesn't fight it at all!
I'm just slowly getting more frustrated

Miri7

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 3:20 pm
Wow it sounds like you are doing a great job. My DD, now 10, had a similar experience. It took a while to get under control and she would often get pneumonia with every cold. It was really hard for a while there. We were doing the nebulizer all the time it seemed.

But - it gets better! One winter I noticed that she was getting colds and wasn't developing pneumonia or having her asthma go crazy. Each year it's gotten better and better. Hang in there. It sounds like you're being a great mama!

Newmom12

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 4:13 pm
Just a suggestion cuz I don't know the specifics but maybe try the singular again. I know not all medication works for everyone but bh it has been a complete life changer. It used to be every time my son would get the slightest cold his asthma would spiral out of control despite being on preventative inhaler. Maybe it needs to be taken for a month or longer to be effective

littleprincess

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 5:08 pm
Did u check him for food allergies? A lot of times asthma and food allergies are connected. Ds had asthma when he was little. I took him off wheat, milk, soy, sessame, nuts and a few more small things. His ashtma got much better and slowly he outgrew his allergies.
He's 11 now and eating everything besides for nuts and he only has to use his inhaler when he has a bad cold to prevent wheezing. I b"h don't remember the last time he wheezed

debbie321

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 7:08 pm
No allergies. Except seasonal...so when dry or wet outside, (which is always one or the other) he starts coughing.
I'm just so exasperated with going back and forth to dr to see if chest cleared, using nebulizer or inhalers with airochamber,missing work cuz something develops....

anonymrs

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 8:32 pm
Some things to think about, based on my experience as mom to 2 allergic/asthmatic kids:

1-An allergist or pulmonologist is essential in helping you create an effective asthma plan.
2-Preventive care is crucial to avoiding flares. My kids do well with Pulmicort twice a day in the nebulizer. Yes, it's a huge pain and I have to plan an extra 10-15 minutes in my morning and bedtime routine for it but so worthwhile. Other kids do well with Singulair, Cromolyn, Xolair. Speak to an allergist or pulmonologist about these options.
3--Inhalers are not nearly as effective as the nebulizer.
4-You mention seasonal allergies are an issue. Have you looked into the option of having your child on daily Zyrtec during allergy seasons? Some kids absolutely can not manage without it.
5-Since seasonal allergies are an issue, are you absolutely sure that there are no food allergies? Has your child been tested? Some allergic reactions present as asthma, particularly if there is ongoing exposure to the food.
6-Does your child have reflux?
7-Has there ever been leaks or moisture in your house? A mold inspection might be a good idea, being that mold can be a HUGE trigger for asthma.
8-Get rid of carpet, curtains, stuffed animals in dc's room. Best if you can get rid of carpeting in the whole house or at the very least the room that dc plays in.

Good luck!!

debbie321

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:26 am
I've done all these. Have been seeing pediatrician at least 1 a week due to flare ups,and go to a good pulmonologist. Had issue now and went to pediatrician and we r back on nebulizer till coughing and wheezing stops...going back on inhaler (asmanex)daily when flare.up is gone. We moved this past year, and problem was before we moved so can't be something in the house. I also use nebulizer alot,son is used to it. I hope to get rid of carpeting within next year....going to speak to dr soon and want to switch inhaler but restarted daily allergy medicine as well. Just hoping he feels better and don't get a call again today that he had a coughing fit and threw up again...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics