Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is there a high school out there...? (coup de masses and s/o
Previous  1  2

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 3:59 pm
What is GO?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 4:02 pm
sequoia wrote:
What is GO?

I too wonder what the letters stand for.

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
I was the most serious, geeky, bookish, shy, stuck in the mud kid in my entire Brooklyn high school, and in a very obvious effort to bend over backwards and "allow everyone to shine", the principals made me color war captain.

I did *not* appreciate it.

My dds school has the 11th grade girls check off from a list which jobs they like. This is taken into consideration when giving out 12th grade jobs.

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 4:17 pm
sequoia wrote:
What is GO?

girls organization (maybe?)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 4:58 pm
I went to a chassidish neutral (not belonging to specific mosdos) school in bp where everyone was given a fair chance to shine. I dont know how the place is these days though, bec theres a different principal than in my times, but I doubt they changed something they believed in so strongly.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 5:12 pm
Simple1 wrote:
girls organization (maybe?)

stands for general organization, it's the student government.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 5:15 pm
I don't understand the need for a top-down approach at all. At my school, student council positions were decided by a vote; everything else was done internally, within each club/activity. I mean, I never got the lead role in the Shakespeare plays, but that's because others were better actors. The faculty advisor for each activity made decisions based on who was best for every position or role. Certainly the principal or other administration weren't interfering - why would they? And if someone didn't want to participate in anything, they didn't (aside from community service requirements). Seriously, what's this with "giving each girl a chance to shine"? What if someone doesn't want to "shine"? What if they want to go home and work on their stamp collection?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 7:04 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I also thought the 9th and 10th grade reps don't do much...till I became the mother of one. Even I work hard! Every time there's an event, DD gets saddled with stuff she has to organize, give out, etc..and guess who gets to drive....and create labels for some give-out with graphics (I'm finding skills I didn't know I had) and prepare it for every single girl in the grade...there's lots of hard work that is hardly noticeable at the end.

Now the funny thing is, back in the day when I was in high school dance head was considered to be a good job....certainly clumsy me thought it was cool. But my DD (who has inherited DH's genes, not mine, in this area) is dance head and she does not consider it to be that awesome......apparently nowadays there are other jobs that are in. It's way more cool to get chosen for convention, for example.

I guess it depends on the school. IME Dance heads are always cool kids. But grass is always greener...

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:18 am
sequoia wrote:
I don't understand the need for a top-down approach at all. At my school, student council positions were decided by a vote; everything else was done internally, within each club/activity. I mean, I never got the lead role in the Shakespeare plays, but that's because others were better actors. The faculty advisor for each activity made decisions based on who was best for every position or role. Certainly the principal or other administration weren't interfering - why would they? And if someone didn't want to participate in anything, they didn't (aside from community service requirements). Seriously, what's this with "giving each girl a chance to shine"? What if someone doesn't want to "shine"? What if they want to go home and work on their stamp collection?

This. And for student council elections, the voting process was used to teach students about the concepts of democracy and representative governments. For school plays, only students who wished to participate were involved, and for acting roles, one had to audition. Anyone could participate in the school band, but only people who played well were chosen for lead roles. Nobody was appointed ahead of time to these positions, and certainly the administration did not go poking its nose into every extracurricular activity and demand that specific students be put in charge. They were busy running the school.

Also, I am surprised at how these administration-driven appointments left such deep and lasting impacts on some of the posters here.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:46 am
The lasting impression can be from a variety of reasons. Girls were publicly embarrassed. Given demeaning jobs or no job at all. How does it feel being always "assistant" to someone totally incompetent or who never had experience doing XYZ but got the job because of their last name? Yes, as adults we deal with it but we also have choices involved. Your boss is the manager solely because of being brother of the CEO. But you can always switch jobs. Here girls are never given a choice- and no way out of it except slacking off (and getting in trouble or blamed for failures).
In my situation, I feel my lack of self confidence comes from always being told (either outright or hinted to) that I can't do it due to no fault of my own or ever even given a chance to try. Yes, I have worked hard to overcome this but when it is ingrained in you over years... It's a process.
And now as an adult, I work so hard to get recognition - as I never got it before. It took me years to realize it must come from within. And while it's mostly gone, It even impacts me today- I crave a thank you from DH. I wish my boss would acknowledge my work. Yes, I have worked on it like crazy. But every once in a while, a voice pops up saying "where's the appreciation? The acknowledgment?" And it's hard to push it down...

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:47 am
Blue amother -- thank you for explaining. I hope my remark did not come off as insensitive.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:51 am
That's horrible Sad I'm so sorry blue amother.

Surely it would be better to let students do what they're good at, and stop calling activities "jobs".

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:54 am
sequoia wrote:
What is GO?

What is coup de masses? Was it the title of the article (or a quote from it) in Mishpacha which of course everyone reads? I'm just guessing because I did a search and aside from this thread only found two other posts saying "coup of the masses" referring to the article (but not "coup de masses"). Was the title/quote in French?

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....14939

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....97605

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:35 am
Don't worry about it. It's hard to understand unless you have been there. Glad you were spared!
I wish there is a solution. Even if you sign up/ volunteered for a job, someone has to pick who gets it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics