Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Couples costume help! newlywed...

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:03 am
its our first purim married

My husband really want us to get dressed up as a couple. I don't feel so comfortable getting dressed up together for tznuis reasons, I feel like everyone looks at the cute couple with the cute costume....

Anyways I want ideas for costumes that are cute but don't draw that kind of attention....

mfb

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:08 am
You can try dressing up as a different type of jewish couple. Example if you are chassidish dress up like a litvish couple... So its a costumefor you, but not really a costume

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:13 am
We are litvish/yeshvish so I thought of dressing up chassidish but have no clue of how to get a hold of authentic clothing, and I feel like the costume stuff is condescending, and still makes you stick out....
Keep the ideas coming!

mfb

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:17 am
I don't think its so hard to get hold of a colored scarf, someones old wig and you can make yourself a shpitzel. Put on beige tights with seams and a suit.
For your husband, see if you can find someone that you know with an old bekishe, and shtreimel. People do have that.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:18 am
you can dress up as something by wearing just one or two accessories of that costume and then its not in anybody's face
like if you do mickey and minnie you can just wear ears with a bow and dh wears plain ears...

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:24 am
Cowboys
Matching cordinated vest same color skirt to pants black denim or brown plaid shirts bandana
Magicians
white gloves shiny vests matching color skirt to pants magician hat solid colored shirt w colar
Police blue suits
Pilot and steward
Rav and rebbetzin
Queen Esther and modichai
Political figures masks and suits....
Mexican chinese, isrealis, americans

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:25 am
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to get dressed up as a couple but you don't want to get dressed up together...?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:33 am
I want to make him happy by getting dressed as a couple but still be comfortable in my own skin and not feel like everybody is staring at "that cute couple dressed up as x"

Ihatepotatoes

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
We are litvish/yeshvish so I thought of dressing up chassidish but have no clue of how to get a hold of authentic clothing, and I feel like the costume stuff is condescending, and still makes you stick out....
Keep the ideas coming!

you could ask a chasidish friend for a hat and your husband could borrow a shtriemel. it wont be viewed as condescending

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:38 am
I don't know anybody chassidish so the borrowing won't work....

water_bear88

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
Cowboys
Matching cordinated vest same color skirt to pants black denim or brown plaid shirts bandana
Magicians
white gloves shiny vests matching color skirt to pants magician hat solid colored shirt w colar
Police blue suits
Pilot and steward
Rav and rebbetzin
Queen Esther and modichai
Political figures masks and suits....
Mexican chinese, isrealis, americans

Please neither of the bolded, you'll only start a fight here... Israelis or Americans wouldn't be offensive. Your other ideas are cute, too!

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 1:53 pm
Think of a cute saying and order same sweat/t-shirts to wear.

wiki

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:34 pm
Go with a color theme--say purple. He wears a purple tie, purple hat and purple socks. You wear a purple sweater or skirt. Then you aren't "dressed up as x" but you do look coordinated and dressed up for Purim.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:50 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Please neither of the bolded, you'll only start a fight here... Israelis or Americans wouldn't be offensive. Your other ideas are cute, too!

Would whoever hugged me please tell me why? I don't even care if you do so anonymously, I just want to know (if it was negative in intent) whether it's because you think those costumes wouldn't be racist and all political correctness be darned, or because you think I think like that and pity me as a poor little racist.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:56 pm
So in my family one yr we were going to do ( didn't pan out tho) varsity sweatshirts. Kinda like they have in colleges where it says college name on back. We were going to do ( not our real last name, but just for example) "Smith family" on the back, with a logo/or name on front. This way not too costumish, and you have a comfy sweater to wear in winter!! Now that I'm married, lady year my husband and I went to a thrift store and got kinda matching stuff. I found a really strange pinstripe navy skirt and jacket, he found a pinstripe navy suit, we each picked out a plaid top, got a hat and some sunglasses and just went around like that. It was fun!!

bigblueyes

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 4:33 am
We did cowboys last year! We bought cowboy hats for 10 nis and I put my wig in braids. Viola

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 7:23 am
Mexican dancers is fun
If you are expecting, nun and priest is funny
Famous historical figures
Wear normal clothes, but give yourselves a creative title

We dressed up as prisoners, the butler and baker. DD was Yosef hatzaddik.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 11:55 am
French king and queen, Cesar & Cleo, Romans, fictional characters...

cm

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 12:08 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Mexican dancers is fun
If you are expecting, nun and priest is funny
Famous historical figures
Wear normal clothes, but give yourselves a creative title

We dressed up as prisoners, the butler and baker. DD was Yosef hatzaddik.

Mostly great ideas, but dressing as a pregnant nun is in poor taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics