Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Rags to Riches

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 4:49 pm
The recent Powerball got me thinking:

I and the hundreds of millions others had all the plans had all the money planned out. Obviously was going to give a huge percentage to tzedakah and then help everyone etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here went from struggling to making it, not necessarily millionaires, but going from not being able to buy food to buying some luxuries.
Did you change a lot? How did it affect you? your family?

Right now I'm struggling for basics, actually always have. Grew up poor and have been since I got married for many reasons.

Right now, we have hope our situation will change in the next year, possibilities exist now.
I'm wondering if when I can afford Tzedakah what'll actually happen, I tell myself if I can afford, I'll give a lot. I'm wondering if I'll want some decent clothes or be bale to buy better quality food etc.

How much did it change your attitude towards other people, relatives etc

Once you had money, were you ever still resentful about all the times that you struggled for food? Do you have more rachmonos for people struggling?

I'm so resentful now, I wonder if I ever get out of this, how I will change?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 5:13 pm
We went from struggling to very comfortable. We give about 30% of our income to charity. Can't resist the sob stories.

How it's changed us as people? We've become calmer and happier, able to live in peace with no money worries, we have greater attitudes of gratitude and appreciation.

We don't flaunt, but spend on conveniences and luxuries that make a difference in our lives. We don't relate differently to people because our lifestyle is not that obvious to people.

I think it boils down to a personality. Some people can handle money well, others allow it to go to their heads.

justmarried:)

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 5:15 pm
Sorry you are going through a hard time. Hope things gets easier for you

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
We went from struggling to very comfortable. We give about 30% of our income to charity. Can't resist the sob stories.

How it's changed us as people? We've become calmer and happier, able to live in peace with no money worries, we have greater attitudes of gratitude and appreciation.

We don't flaunt, but spend on conveniences and luxuries that make a difference in our lives. We don't relate differently to people because our lifestyle is not that obvious to people.

I think it boils down to a personality. Some people can handle money well, others allow it to go to their heads.

Thanks for the answer, I'm glad to hear of people like you and I hope one day if we do well, we sound like you.
You sound solid, which is wonderful!

Another question to put out there, what caused drastic change? Winning something, career or business taking off after years of time, sweat and effort? Inheritance?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the answer, I'm glad to hear of people like you and I hope one day if we do well, we sound like you.
You sound solid, which is wonderful!

Another question to put out there, what caused drastic change? Winning something, career or business taking off after years of time, sweat and effort? Inheritance?

Career/business taking off after lots of effort.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 5:33 pm
BH, mine and DH's businesses took off after many years of toil and hard work. I remember not being able to pay for a pair of pants for my child when his were beyond repair. We can now afford whatever we need and still give to others BH!!! Just remember that everything that you have is a loan from the one above. Remain humble and don't sweat the pennies on other business owners expense. We try to buy from Jews and don't make a big deal when we were overcharged or when something breaks prematurely, (If it will be a large expense to the business owner). Going from rags to riches helps you appreciate what you have as well as being cognizant of the pain of those who don't.Give to others in a way that maintains their dignity, NOT in a way that can bring you more acknowledgment. Hatzlachah to you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics