Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Switzerland
Previous  1  2

baba

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:
chaig/amother, thanks for clarifying about the koscherliste. For some reason I always thought Zurich list was more trustworthy than Geneve. Are there specific items on the ICZ list that are not commonly accepted? Is it just chalav akum/CY? Off the topic but does anyone still make acceptable maronnenvermicelli?

You can get marroni puree in Coop - it's called Bio Marronenpuree and comes in a block weighing 220 grams (not to be confused with the regular Coop Marronenpuree that is not on the list) - but you have to add the cream to it and squeeze it through the vermicelle press. There's a brand called Ditzler that's also on the list but it's not as readily available.

The ICZ list has products available in Switzerland that appear on the kosher lists of other rabbinates. Some lists are more reliable and some are less, but the list doesn't tell you which rabbinate approves which items. This is besides the CY problem, which seems to be observed more strictly here than in the US. The IRG list has only items approved by the IRG rabbinate, which is considered very reliable.

But again, on the ICZ list it's marked very clearly which of those products are from a different rabbanut, so you can just avoid those and it's really not that many. The rest of the list comes from the same rabbi as the IRG list, even the milchigs.

dlj

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 8:16 am
Sorry to hijack the thread - didn't want to start a new thread altogether.

Does anyone know about kosher facilities in Villars-Sur-Ollon. I noticed there was a kosher hotel there but I emailed them and they said they are closed (we are travelling in March). Would appreciate any tips or advice - would we be able to get shabbas meals anywhere?

Thanks.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 8:39 am
I thought Hotel Elite was open for both winter ski season and summer. A bit surprised they would be closed in March esp if going earlier in the month, but then again, the second half of March may be too close to Pesach so not many frum leisure tourists.

To the best of my knowledge, no other kosher places to eat. You can schlep your foods from Geneve (actually just outside on the french border).

dlj

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:39 pm
Thanks. I thought that's what the reply would be. A bit disappointed - we thought it'd be a nice weekend away with easy food but obviously not to be. The Hotel Elite's website did say open until the end of March, so I hadn't thought to email to check so far in advance but e-mailed about the Shabbas meals and they said they're closed then even though it's beginning of March.

Obviously not meant to be.

ESB

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:53 pm
And here I am still did not get to Switzerland. The trip 3 years ago got cancelled the last minute. Now I am planning a week vacation in Arosa. But I don't want to stay at Levines hotel but somewhere close so that dh can have minyan. Any advice which area I should look into?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics