Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to describe religious level for a school

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:25 am
We are thinking of moving to Manchester after Pesach and we have been told to write a letter to a certain school asking if they will offer us a school place for September 2017. (Apparently the schools are very packed) We need to tell them about our religious level. What kind of things do schools want to know?
Thanks a lot!

Sweety19

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 1:01 pm
Bump

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 1:14 pm
They will most likely want to know your synagogue affiliation, level of Shabbos observance, your child's past Jewish education, and things like that.

You should point out things in your life that you think makes you a good fit for that school's haskafa. Tell them up front how many volunteer hours you're willing to take on, before they ask you. They like that.

Best of luck!

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 1:38 pm
What school is it? It really depends.

Would you describe yourself as Chareidi/Modern Orthodox or something in between?

You can mention if you wear a sheital/black hat/own a tv/keep chalav yisrael. I assume (since you are on this site) that you keep basic halacha, shabbas, and kosher.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:35 pm
Thanks, those are really good ideas!
The school in question is Yesodey Hatorah aka Jewish day. Any more information you can give me based on that? I looked on the schools website but it's not very helpful.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 6:41 am
I'll get attacked but really get a space before moving. This was the advice given to me. You need to go, see them, and see if they take you and commit to it. There have been stories... so be careful. In the end it seems the only easy one to get into is Broughton, which wasn't yeshivish enough for us (it' shifting though). In the end we decided against, but if you're moving for sure really try the others. Or even Broughton.
Have a rabbi referrent, and ideally ask around before to someone trusted to know if he's not in a political fight with the powers that be. BTDT. Twice.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 6:51 am
amother wrote:
Thanks, those are really good ideas!
The school in question is Yesodey Hatorah aka Jewish day. Any more information you can give me based on that? I looked on the schools website but it's not very helpful.

My impression is that is a yeshivish/right wing school. Gone more chareidi over the years I think since it used to be a lot more mixed. Probably will not be thrilled with tv/unfiltered internet.

But in any case you want the school to be a good fit for your child. I think there are a few threads here on manchester schools.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 6:53 am
eg this thread http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ester

gummybear

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 9:25 am
Jewish Day is very very charedi (they don't want people to use internet and only short wigs etc but I think rules can be bent depending on who you are) and as far as I know very full so hard to get into. Many parents send to Broughton Jewish if they can't get into Jewish Day, I think it's an easy school to get into.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics