Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby wearing newbie
1  2  Next

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:27 pm
I have a few kids already and my newborn wants to be held all day. I am thinking if I have some kind of baby carrier I can wear my baby and still get some things done around the house. I just have no clue when it comes to carriers. I know there are a bunch of different kinds. Can someone give recommendations? Maybe different features of different types?

sleepybeauty

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:49 pm
I got the boba wrap for my baby but she didn't like it since it's more restrictive and she hated being swaddled. I decided to try babywearing again when she was 2 months and got the ergobaby 360 which she loved as still does almost a year later.

little_mage

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 8:36 pm
So my first recommendation is www.thebabywearer.com, which is a forum devoted to babywearing. If you're looking for something that doesn't have a big learning curve, I'd recommend a Mei tai over a buckle carrier (like an ergo). The advantage of a mei tai is that it is ties so it's easier to get a good fit then something with buckles, but it's got much less of a learning curve then a wrap. Infantino makes one that is available at Target for about $25. A lot of people love Mobys or other stretchy wraps for newborns, but they are going to start sagging and getting a lot less comfy once the baby hits 15 lbs or thereabouts, so it's not necessarily the best investment if you anticipate a lot of use after the first couple of months, IMO.

If you're on facebook, the babywearing on a budget page has used carriers for under $100, including shipping.

sleepybeauty

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 8:43 pm
little_mage wrote:
If you're looking for something that doesn't have a big learning curve, I'd recommend a Mei tai over a buckle carrier (like an ergo). The advantage of a mei tai is that it is ties so it's easier to get a good fit then something with buckles, but it's got much less of a learning curve then a wrap. Infantino makes one that is available at Target for about $25.

Just wanted to clarify: The ones with buckles are adjustable so you can get the right fit and you don't have to readjust every time unless you are sharing it with someone else. I find it really simple, just pop in baby, buckle up and your ready to go.

The wraps definitely have more of a learning curve.

going-up

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:12 pm
I have a baby ktan. No buckles, no need to wrap. You just put or on top of your head and put ur arms in. The downside is you have to buy your size. This was the only thing that could calm down my baby. It was amazing. Ended up having to buy my husband his size too so I could get a break.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 11:13 pm
I used a baby bjorn- loved it and so did DS. 2 buckle things and he was secure! No maneuvering anything if he was forward facing- same exact setup (except I could choose to lower part so he could see better, but that was just a snap).
It was so easy to adjust that I could switch using it with my much taller DH with just a few adjustments! I am small with an easily strained back so I didn't use it when he got to be heavy. (DH could have carried DS for longer). It's supposed to be ergonomic and good for the baby's spine and hips... Some carriers apparently impact hip dysplasia stats.
I think for the next one I might try to get an ergo baby or something with more back and hip support for me so not all the weight went on my shoulders.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 11:28 pm
I've tried 'em all!
Stretchy wraps aren't too difficult, but they don't last long unless you get a Wrapsody hybrid.
Woven wraps are workhorses and super versatile but have a steep learning curve in terms of size and material and carries you like.
Mei tais are a great compromise and the first thing that really worked for me. Super versatile and easy.
SSCs are harder to get the right one to work for you. I just got a Pikkolo to try because the fabric is like a mei tai and can be rolled down which is a huge plus for me as a short person. Buckles are super easy. Can be worn in all positions like a mei tai, and it has a hood. So far so good. And baby napped today on my chest in it Smile Since I am short, the Lillebaby I had didn't work well for me, the Beco Butterfly II I found was too bulky, and the Snugli was a joke.
I had a ring sling but it was a NoJo and it was too overwhelming for me. I have also taken short woven wraps and done a no sew ring sling, but I prefer two shouldered carries.

I just sold my Wrapsody hybrid to get a woven, thinking I still had a stretchy, but I think I mistook it for a pouch sling which I hated. Oh well, I may not have any stretchies left but a well broken into woven which hopefully I'll have in the future with any more babies should be snuggly too. And there's always the mei tai Smile

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:44 am
I am now officially even more confused.

I had a snugli years ago, used it in the summer on trips, hiking... It was fine for that but I tried it with one of my other kids in the house, to do dishes and laundry, and felt like I couldn't get my hands around the baby and carrier so couldn't really do housework. So that defeated the purpose, if I anyway can't work then I can just hold her with my hands...

Are baby ktan or mei tai better in that respect? Which of these would be better for a beginner?

I also saw 2 different kinds on mei tai website, am not sure which is easier or better

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 4:25 am
Most important is the baby's position and back support for you.
Baby's knees should be equal or higher than his tush and knees wide open. Facing out is stressful on a baby's back.
Wide straps that cross in the middle of your back are most supportive and comfortable. Hence the popularity of wraps and meitais.
I discourage the use of baby bjorns since they put too much pressure on the baby's pelvis and back.
Front facing is over stimulating for babies.

Always tie it in a way that you can kiss the top of your baby's head.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 11:28 am
I LOVED my baby ktan and that is an understatement. It was so easy to use and my baby was so comfortable in it. Best buy ever!
The only issue is that it doesn't "last" very long. Once my baby turned 9 months or thereabouts it was getting too hard to put him in.

Then I got a Beco for free and it was really good too, my baby was comfortable (at that point he was 16 months) but my only issue was that it only faced towards me so my baby couldn't see what was going on unless I used the hip position which hurt my hips and by that point he was walking and too heavy to carry so I stopped using it.

I have heard from several people that the Ergo Baby is the best one for use from newborn to toddler. I still love my baby ktan though.

lucky14

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:50 pm
I just got a mei tai (the tie one, though I prob should have gotten the other one also to try) and a baby ktan. I also saw something else at babies r us that was very similar looking to a baby ktan that I wanted to try, but they didn't have my size Sad I'll let you know what I think of them after I try them out.

little_mage

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 1:59 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
Just wanted to clarify: The ones with buckles are adjustable so you can get the right fit and you don't have to readjust every time unless you are sharing it with someone else. I find it really simple, just pop in baby, buckle up and your ready to go.

The wraps definitely have more of a learning curve.

Oh, obviously buckles are adjustable, but they are less so then other options. Because they are more rigid, it can be harder to get a good fit.

If you're looking for something that you can do housework in, you're probably better off with a mei tai, since then you can put the baby on your back. I'm not sure what you mean by mei tai website, since a mei tai is a type of carrier. There are many different companies that make them. If you post a link, maybe some people can help you figure out what you want. Also, youtube is a great place to find tutorials about how to use any and all carriers.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 3:05 pm
little_mage wrote:
Oh, obviously buckles are adjustable, but they are less so then other options. Because they are more rigid, it can be harder to get a good fit.

If you're looking for something that you can do housework in, you're probably better off with a mei tai, since then you can put the baby on your back. I'm not sure what you mean by mei tai website, since a mei tai is a type of carrier. There are many different companies that make them. If you post a link, maybe some people can help you figure out what you want. Also, youtube is a great place to find tutorials about how to use any and all carriers.

Ok, I didn't know what a mei tai was so I googled and found www.meitaibaby.com so I thought mei tai is a brand. After reading more replies here I see mei tai is a type of carrier.
So which is better for housework, mei tai or baby ktan? Or should I just try both and see which I like better? Maybe find someplace with a good return policy...

sleepybeauty

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 3:09 pm
little_mage wrote:

Why do think they are more difficult to get a good fit? I have never had an issue, and the support is incredible. I barely feel the baby.

sleepybeauty

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 3:11 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Ok, I didn't know what a mei tai was so I googled and found www.meitaibaby.com so I thought mei tai is a brand. After reading more replies here I see mei tai is a type of carrier.
So which is better for housework, mei tai or baby ktan? Or should I just try both and see which I like better? Maybe find someplace with a good return policy...

Do you have any friends who babywear that would let you borrow their carriers for a few days so you get a feel what you're most comfortable with?

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 4:05 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
Do you have any friends who babywear that would let you borrow their carriers for a few days so you get a feel what you're most comfortable with?

Nope. Nobody I know wears their baby. My friends will probably think I am weird to wear my baby...

Trying on a few from someone else would have been the best idea really

chaiz

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 1:21 pm
I started off with a boba stretchy that I bought from Amazon. I was very nervous about spending money on something I was not sure I was going to use all that much, but I knew that if I did not get the right product I was not going to do it at all. It was great! It was not complicated to learn or use, it was more annoying to tie initially. My daughter loved it as well. I also bought a yamo second hand, got a BabyHawk brand mei tai and borrowing a family member's woven wrap. Most of the time these days I use the mei tai on my back, though I am trying to use the woven wrap as well. Woven wraps definitely have a learning curve, but they are truly the one that can be worn as is from birth through toddlerhood. Not everyone ends up liking woven wraps, I do not especially. But it does give the best fit.
Soft structured carriers, such as the Beco and Ergo, by their nature are not one size fits all. Not to say that they are not quality pieces, they most definitely are. But just because your friend liked the Ergo does not mean it will fit you properly. They just do not offer the cusomablity in fit as wraps do.
Do you have a local babywearing library where you can borrow various items and figure it out? Another option might be a babywearing consultant. They help you figure out what fits you best and how to use it. The ones I know make a profit of what they sell, but they sell more than one product and company.
https://www.youtube.com/user/BabywearingFaith
https://www.youtube.com/user/WrappingRachel
These are two good YouTube channels that have videos that can be helpful. Also, if you are on Facebook, I can tell you about Facebook groups I am in that you might find helpful.

little_mage

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 8:09 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
Why do think they are more difficult to get a good fit? I have never had an issue, and the support is incredible. I barely feel the baby.

It depends on your body type. I have a buckle carrier (a Babyhawk Oh Snap, no longer being made) and I don't find it as comfy as either my half buckle carrier (buckled waist, tie shoulders) from the same brand or my mei tai. I'm very petite, so getting it cinched to be comfortable on my shoulders is harder for me. That being said, I'm glad that that it works well for you!

I've never heard of the brand you posted, but they look good and aren't so expensive. If you're interested in doing housework with it, I would definitely recommend a mei tai because once you get comfortable with it, you can put the baby on your back. You can't do that in a k'tan.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 8:22 pm
I just got a Pikkolo which is like a mei tai in terms of fabric with buckles instead since I was tired of worrying about my mei tai straps in the mud, and I just sold my wrapsody hybrid this week. I am quite short and this one actually works for me (you can roll up the panel like a mei tai)...the straps cross in the back like a mei tai too. Technically, baby can face out in this but I haven't tried it yet. The panel cinches narrower for a little baby or facing out.
So far it's the only SSC I actually think I'll end up using. Maybe more than the woven wrap I have been, but I'm keeping my woven for now. And my mei tai...

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 1:41 am
Rosemarie wrote:
I am now officially even more confused.

I had a snugli years ago, used it in the summer on trips, hiking... It was fine for that but I tried it with one of my other kids in the house, to do dishes and laundry, and felt like I couldn't get my hands around the baby and carrier so couldn't really do housework. So that defeated the purpose, if I anyway can't work then I can just hold her with my hands...

Are baby ktan or mei tai better in that respect? Which of these would be better for a beginner?

I also saw 2 different kinds on mei tai website, am not sure which is easier or better

I wear my baby all the time (he's 6 weeks and I switch between a Baby Bjorn and a Moby), but I have the same housework problem. I hate doing dishes with him in the way, and I can't keep bending down and standing up to clean up all the toys and stuff from the floor... Housework is still limited, even with a wrap. However, wrapping does:
1. allow you to do chores standing up, like clearing the table, ironing, etc. I even manage to do laundry, because it's not that much up-and-down.
2. allow you to take care of other kids
3. allow you to carry your baby for much longer periods than if you were trying to carry her yourself (and this is really the biggest thing on the list, for me).
4. send a message to others in a public place that she's yours and she isn't ready to be passed around yet (if she's that young and you care about such things).

So for all these reasons (and probably more), baby wrapping is still way worth it. And once she gets a bit older, you can wrap her on your back and you'll have even fewer housework constraints!

ETA: Also, I don't know where you are, but in my area there is a group that "meets" monthly at local libraries. They have a huge collection of different types of carriers for you to try on there, and you can take some home to try out until the next meeting. You can also bring your own carriers and they'll teach you how to tie. Maybe check Facebook, Google, or your local library to see if there's any such thing in your area.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics