Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Affordable communities in South Florida

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:18 pm
We are considering relocating to south Florida so I'm gathering info on communities that may be a potential match for us.

We are a young family who identify as yeshivish, if a label must be used. Doesn't matter if the whole community is or not but we would prefer to find at least a few other families and a Rav who share our hashkafa.

Ideally we would prefer a smaller Shul with a more personal feel to it rather than an enormous one.

Even if not all these criteria are met I would love to hear about different options and ideas.

Must be as affordable as possible. (Housing, etc.)

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:22 pm
The only community that meets your criteria is North Miami Beach. It is ugly but the warmest, friendliest and kindest community you could ever hope to find.
Miami Beach you can't get anything, even a fixer upper for under 800k
And Hollywood isn't terribly yeshivish and houses, not too big, start around 600k
Don't know anything about Boca-- I'm an old time SF girl, before frum Boca really existed

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:40 pm
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!

Can you tell me more about North Miami Beach? How big is the community?

How affordable is it? Are there apartments or just houses?

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:43 pm
I don't know what you mean by "affordable"-- but you should check out Boca-- specifically the East Boca community. My understanding of the background is like this: a few Rabbonim from Chofetz Chaim came to Boca (about 15 years ago-- give or take) to do kiruv. The community grew, around that: The Rabbonim, their families, the school staff, etc.. They ended up building up this East Boca community, with a small (warm) shul, eruv, etc... it seems very nice.

the contact info would be:

jewish education center of sf (that's the organization, but I'm sure one of the rabbis/rebbetzins that you speak to on the phone could help you

3600 NW 2nd. Court
Boca Raton, FL 33431 USA

P: (561) 544-2854

F: (561) 847-3533

E: info@jecsfl.org

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:19 pm
I own a home in north Miami beach, & love it.
I don't find it to be ugly @ all. The houses are not large, but affordable and decent. You should be able to get a home for under $400,00. Taxes are way cheaper then other communities mentioned.
The community is the warmest. Everyone is friendly. Strangers greet u on the street as if they know you. There's a very strong yeshivish kehiilah.. There's a kollel, yeshivish minyanim, & an excellent Bais Yakov.
There's are big kosher supermarkets & other stores that sell almost anything you may need, from judaica to clothing, pizza & resturants, to Sheitals & hosiery.

I love Nmb. The entire community has an Eruv.
Theres a beautiful walking path better known as the canal, .with a great playground where many young moms congregate & socialize. Rabbi Shapiro gives shiurim to the women weekly, & I'm sure there are others.
People here are accepting of others, & you're not judged by the way you dress or your level of frumkeit.
There are gemachim,chevra Hatzalah, &'chesed organizations. If u want to be part of a community, you prefer more yeshivish, want more affordable, don't look further. Go to NMB.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 10:08 am
Second rec of east Boca. Affordable houses,good school etc.

mamaluv

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 9:28 pm
What is the zip code for East Boca? Is there a lubavitch community there? What is the average price for 5 bedroom homes?

amother
White

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 10:32 pm
Hollywood might also fit what you are looking for. Houses start at around 400k, there are apartments available, and recently a more yeshivish crowd has moved in.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 10:36 pm
Yep the east Boca Community is 10 mins from Chabad Central which is a nice community.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:44 am
amother wrote:
I own a home in north Miami beach, & love it.
I don't find it to be ugly @ all. The houses are not large, but affordable and decent. You should be able to get a home for under $400,00. Taxes are way cheaper then other communities mentioned.
The community is the warmest. Everyone is friendly. Strangers greet u on the street as if they know you. There's a very strong yeshivish kehiilah.. There's a kollel, yeshivish minyanim, & an excellent Bais Yakov.
There's are big kosher supermarkets & other stores that sell almost anything you may need, from judaica to clothing, pizza & resturants, to Sheitals & hosiery.

I love Nmb. The entire community has an Eruv.
Theres a beautiful walking path better known as the canal, .with a great playground where many young moms congregate & socialize. Rabbi Shapiro gives shiurim to the women weekly, & I'm sure there are others.
People here are accepting of others, & you're not judged by the way you dress or your level of frumkeit.
There are gemachim,chevra Hatzalah, &'chesed organizations. If u want to be part of a community, you prefer more yeshivish, want more affordable, don't look further. Go to NMB.

To which school do most people there send their kids? Is there a Chabad there as well? Who would I contact to learn more about the community?

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 3:54 pm
Theres a very large Lubavitch school called LEC, LEC

There are other schools too, I don't live there, I don't like it, but have friends who love NMB

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 4:59 pm
If you are ok with going South of sheridan, Hollywood houses start at around $250k. We are looking there because emerald hills isn't affordable enough for us. There are 2 shuls South of sheridan.

studying_torah

Post Sat, Apr 16 2016, 10:38 pm
How is the crime in nmb? We looked into moving there 5 years ago but we're worried about the level of crime. We were told ppl were getting mugged, followed home etc.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 11:26 am
amother wrote:
If you are ok with going South of sheridan, Hollywood houses start at around $250k. We are looking there because emerald hills isn't affordable enough for us. There are 2 shuls South of sheridan.

What is the zip or address of the shul(s) there? To which schools do people in that community send their kids? Would love to speak with someone who lives there.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
What is the zip or address of the shul(s) there? To which schools do people in that community send their kids? Would love to speak with someone who lives there.

33021, David Chai at 4600 Thomas Street and the Chabad is across the street. It's only half a mile from Emerald Hills. Look at it on Redfin
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating