Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Uncovered by Leah Lax

baschabad

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:10 pm
I read it, not exactly cover to cover and I found it so disturbing! Anyone else read it and want to discuss?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:53 pm
I didnt read the book, but now I'm curious who this "leah lax" is and if it's her real name.

Wow, I checked on amazon. her picture is even there. and she apparently has 7 children. but I still have no idea who she is.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:50 pm
Yes, it is her real name. She was my teacher many years ago Sad
She was chabad. I know some of her personal life and it is just very sad.

baschabad

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 9:25 am
Yes, it's very odd. It exposes a lot about her husband and children.

Two things I was thinking - it seems to be a very common story: Raped in childhood=turns lesbian

Also, it seems to be so selfish to just turn on your family like that. I understand that she wasn't feeling fulfilled in life and could have had more, but really, at the expense of your spouse and children? Even if frumkeit isn't the truth - it isn't hurting anyone to follow that lifestyle.

Also as a Lubavitcher, I am upset that a new BT was married off like that! It was just done wrong. No wonder it didn't work out.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 9:47 am
Quote:
Also, it seems to be so selfish to just turn on your family like that. I understand that she wasn't feeling fulfilled in life and could have had more, but really, at the expense of your spouse and children? Even if frumkeit isn't the truth - it isn't hurting anyone to follow that lifestyle.

You took the words out of my mouth!
I can not imagine what her children are going through every single day of their lives.
To expose such detail about herself is one thing, but to put out there everything about her children and husband - how horrible!

Clarissa

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 10:35 am
baschabad wrote:

Two things I was thinking - it seems to be a very common story: Raped in childhood=turns lesbian

Also as a Lubavitcher, I am upset that a new BT was married off like that! It was just done wrong. No wonder it didn't work out.
People don't "turn" into lesbians because they're raped.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 10:36 am
baschabad wrote:

What?!!? I read the book too and don't see why you think that one was the cause of the other. I think that (way of thinking) is very common amongst ultra orthodox who are in denial that there's such a thing as being born with gay tendencies Crying

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
Yes, it is her real name. She was my teacher many years ago Sad
She was chabad. I know some of her personal life and it is just very sad.

Why is it so sad? She seems so happy and at peace with her life now, I was actually happy for her (after reading the book), what am I missing?!!?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 1:48 pm
I meant that it's sad that in order for her to find "happiness" she had to make so many people unhappy.

baschabad

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 12:03 am
I didn't mean so much that she "turned into" a lesbian as "turned out to be" a lesbian.

I don't know statistics, but it seems to be a very common story.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics