Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby wearing newbie
Previous  1  2

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 2:01 am
Hmm. To the poster who didn't like the baby bjorn- what is the problem with them? The one I had was approved by the hip dysplasia foundation or something like that...
I used it and had no issues BH. Did your kids CV? Any articles you read?
Soon to have another and wanted to check in with you...

A friend recently gave me their old (but really perfect condition, they ended up not using it long for various reasons...) bjorn with a back support piece. So excited to try it out with new baby IYH! My other bjorn (mine also is in perfect condition!! They don't wear out like I expected!!) didn't have the back piece so it hurt when DC got too big...

I don't want anything with ties- just buckles as I don't trust myself to either not suffocate the infant, not do it tight enough or other fears (however baseless, they are my fears and I know myself that I won't use it and it will gather dust).

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:23 am
Cerulean, like I just mentioned, I switch between a Baby Bjorn and a Moby Wrap. They each have their pros and cons, but I personally like the Moby Wrap much better for longer holdings. The baby is kept much more snugly against your body, and the wrap itself is much softer and more supportive- I barely feel like I'm holding anything with a Moby, which is not the same for the Baby Bjorn. The Baby Bjorn hurts my back and shoulders much quicker than the Moby.

In terms of baby safety, the newer versions of the Bjorn (One and We) have been approved by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. This is because the seat of the carrier is wide enough that it stretches from knee to knee, keeping baby in correct position. Carriers with narrower seats (and earlier Bjorn carriers probably have narrower seats) allow the baby's legs to hang in a more unnatural position that isn't healthy. In terms of back support, the only thing I've read online is that backs should be able to curve into a C shape, which babies' backs naturally do. (Which is why they shouldn't be riding forward facing- they can't get the C shape against your front.) The soft wraps, like Moby and woven- obviously allow for this. I have the original Bjorn, I think, and it seems to allow for this, though it's not as supported as with a soft wrap. The Bjorn One and We seem to be more structured than the Original, so I don't know how supportive they are of a curved back.

I definitely see why people like the Baby Bjorn- better head support than the Moby, easier and quicker to take on and off, and it lasts much longer (no stretching and looseness).

chani8

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:05 am
Rosemarie wrote:
I have a few kids already and my newborn wants to be held all day. I am thinking if I have some kind of baby carrier I can wear my baby and still get some things done around the house. I just have no clue when it comes to carriers. I know there are a bunch of different kinds. Can someone give recommendations? Maybe different features of different types?

I'm a baby wearer but let me make a PSA. You cannot get much done when you are wearing a baby. I wear a baby to comfort him and give me a hands free for simple functioning. Not to then go clean the house. No way.

Since you have a few kids and need hands free for tending to your other kids, it's a great option. But dont think you'll now be able to do laundry or dishes or cook. Put your baby in a safe place while you do those duties.

lucky14

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:22 pm
So I got the infantino mei tai and the baby k'tan and I've tried them both and I'm not such a fan of the infantino, but the baby k'tan is so comfy to wear and so much easier then the wrap carriers, though it's comfy and soft and easy to move around with it (which is what I liked about the wrap ones), and I put my baby in it and he fell asleep RIGHT away both times I've used it (I just got it a few days ago). He seems very comfy in it (and he's pretty fussy and picky about what we do with him). Just to let you now if you do get one people online said they tend to run big and I agree. I'm going to have to see if I can exchange mine for a smaller size.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 9:07 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Nope. Nobody I know wears their baby. My friends will probably think I am weird to wear my baby...

Trying on a few from someone else would have been the best idea really

It sounds like you baby wear the way I do. Not as a lifestyle, more for convenience when working around the house, going around the corner to the grocery or hopping on a train to get somewhere quickly. For me a carrier with buckles was the way to go over wraps.
If you're in brooklyn, feel free to borrow kine to get a feel. I recently dropped it off at my mom's so my niece can use it when she gives birth iy"h but you can totally borrow in the meantime.

spring13

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:49 pm
I have a Pikkolo also and love it - it's not hard to use, very adjustable, and pretty cozy. I love that I can use it for a newborn and also for a toddler on my back. A mei tai is just as versatile, but a drop more complicated to learn to use. K'tan is easy and cozy for a little baby, but less useful for an older child.

Don't worry about what people in your neighborhood do or don't do. There can be major benefits to using a baby carrier in different scenarios, and if it works for you, then it works for you. Of all the things to do that "aren't done" in your social circle, this isn't something to shy away from if it otherwise suits your needs. It's pretty minor in the scheme of that sort of thing. It could be other women will see you and be happy to discover an option that suits their own needs as well.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:40 am
This is my baby at 9.5 lbs in the Pikkolo. Look how cozy she is. It has a hood for covering her up when sleeping, nursing, bad weather, etc It crosses in the back for extra support like a mei tai. The bottom rolls up if necessary like a mei tai and even my 10.5 yo can wear her at 4 feet.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics